Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[videos] Devens, MA autocross

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:45 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default [videos] Devens, MA autocross

This is at a old military airbase, hugh layout.
We got 8 two minute runs!

I needed to split the videos up.

Morning runs

Afternoon runs

Once again on my all-season street tires.

You can see I started off kinda slow, speed up and found my street tires limits, and then finally dialed it back and got in some smooth runs.

We did have one hazzard to worry about.
Some idot in an airplane decided to practice landing runs while we were using the landing strips!

We got his tail #, I guess he can kiss that license goodbye!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:53 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Whew, think they put in enough slaloms and offset gates? Also, was the 8th run your best (it seemed so, but the clock's the truthteller)?

I love the comment when you hit that cone on the 7th run. Sounded just like me; it's like you only have time to get out half of whatever word you're thinking of, or like some kind of neanderthal grunt!

We've got one more BMW event out at Mineral Wells (an abandoned Vietnam helicopter training pad) in November; hopefully we'll have good weather!

Enjoy the videos, thanks for sharing!
Mike
Old 10-22-2007, 11:18 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Brian

A few questions for you.

1. The morning runs you had the headlights up, were you using them for a focal point?

I know when I first raced my Vette, it was damn hard to figure out where the very front of the car was at. It still is hard. It seems like a logical tool, to use the headlights as a reference point. I'll have to try that.

2.You had the roof panel off for the afternoon runs. It had more noticeable cowl shake. Do you not use a Targa Truss?

I cannot even think about racing my Vette without taking the top off. I am a Neanderthal, 6 feet 1 inch tall with only a 32 inch inseam. My height comes from my Torso, so I have to take the roof panel off, and bolt on the Targa Truss.

3. Your car was damn flat through the corners, with little roll in the slaloms, what springs and shocks are you using? I am using the VB&P sport spring in the rear with medium rate Bilsteins, and the Z51 front spring with the VB&P Bilstein Extremes. Using something similar?

4. Was that a damn Ariel Atom in the still shots?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dam !!
How often do they do this out there?? I'm within an hour of Devens. Looks like fun.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corvette-pilot
Dam !!
How often do they do this out there?? I'm within an hour of Devens. Looks like fun.
That was the last '07 event for the Ford clubs that run open courses like this. Devens is popular with a lot of clubs -but there are 2 that don't require membership fees and club affilation. Northeast SHO club/Baystate Corvette club will have 4 events next year that set up courses like this and the Ford SCMC club which hosted this one also runs another 4 events. Both require pre-registration and try to limit it to 50 cars so that there is enough time to do 8 or 9 of these 2 minute runs. These are both good clubs to run with if you want to check out autocrossing with almost no investment, just a helmet , car and $50.00 get's you started.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

VetteDrmr,
4th was the fastest, but I took out 3 cones.
8th was just a little slower, and a lot more clean.
I've got some understeer with the streets, and I got the phase right so it woud turn in when I wanted it too. Same on those offset gates.

Yes I managed to 'family edit' myself on the grunt

Mineral Wells?! That' where I ran my 1st autocross! I used to live near Dallas.

KBoltz,
I left the roof off in the afternoon since my head his he frame on the side during a right turn Not targa brace, but my Hardbar harness bar really stiffens the B-pillar up. I really need to lower my seat.

I've got the Z51 bars, but the soft base springs, and one of my adjustable shocks is stuck on low, so I left them all turned down. It's flat since with that and street tires I wasn't getting too much grip.

Yes, that's a Ariel Atom, the owner is really getting to learn how to drive it now. He borrowed the race tire and rims off his Focus for the event.

The person I wished I got to tape was Barbara_S, thanks for the ride along Barbara She was in the running for FTD all day.

BTW Tell your husband Gary can set him up with those Penskes for the ZR1 if he wants.

corvette-pilot,
Come on down next season, well get you started
Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

BTW These two pics show the body roll I getting on my street tires vs my hoosiers

Old 10-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Wow, that's a LONG course Mine are only mile long courses.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:26 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Cool videos and photos.

Get notified of new replies

To [videos] Devens, MA autocross

Quick Reply: [videos] Devens, MA autocross