Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which oil pan for roadracing my C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 PM
spankythegator
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which oil pan for roadracing my C5

Blew my motor up racing at MidOhio (threw a rod) and am putting an LS2 back in my C5Z but wanted to know if anyone knew what pan I should go with....original LS6, LS2, Canton or other race specific pan? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The LS6 pan is not that great. The LS2 pan is much better but still not that great. With any wet sump setup, the important thing is to make sure the pickup height is right. .200 of a inch is pretty standard.

I don't know anything about the canton pan.

Randy
Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

accusump helps...... Shim your oil pump 150/1000ths......

Personally, I think the LS6 and LS2 pans are about the same. Less slosh in the LS2, but also less capacity. I run Smith Brothers pushrods with oil restrictors, to keep oil down in the shortblock where you need it.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I run Smith Brothers pushrods with oil restrictors, to keep oil down in the shortblock where you need it.
Whats the part number or description for the Smith Brothers Pushrods that are a direct replacement for the 7.400" stock pushrods? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 AM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
accusump helps...... Shim your oil pump 150/1000ths......

Personally, I think the LS6 and LS2 pans are about the same. Less slosh in the LS2, but also less capacity. I run Smith Brothers pushrods with oil restrictors, to keep oil down in the shortblock where you need it.

I dont think there is much difference in the LS2 and LS6 as far as oil control but I always use the LS2 because it makes the car much easier to work on and frees up a lot of room. I dont like the Canton because it is a stamped pan and no where near as structural as the factory pans. I have also had tons of problems with the canton pans on C4's in the shop, they are a great design for a small block but the manufacturing quality is not the best. The rails are never true and they leak.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Here was some info regarding the newly designed LS2 oil pan when the C6 came out.

"The LS2's new oil pan was developed to ensure oil delivery commensurate with Corvette's high-performance capability. Extensive track testing has shown the new design to provide better oil control under the extreme demands of high-rpm/high g-force driving maneuvers. The elimination of the previous "gull wing" oil pan design also reduces the engine's oil capacity from 6.5 quarts to 5.5 quarts with a dry filter."

"At the bottom of the block, LS2 engines installed in Corvettes receive a revised oil pan. Redesigned interior baffles in the pan are designed to ensure an adequate oil supply to the oil pump pick-up during high-load cornering maneuvers. The previous Corvette/LS1 combination used a "gull wing" oil pan design, but oil starvation was an issue that more than one enthusiast encountered on the racetrack. With the new, wingless oil pan design, the Corvette's oil capacity is reduced from 6.5 quarts to 5.5 quarts (with a dry filter). "
Basically the oil doesn't get trapped in the wings, which should keep more oil in the area of the pick-up.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Accusump from DRM
Old 10-24-2007, 05:44 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Accusump from DRM

Accusump is the answer and Randy offers excellent service and information.

Get notified of new replies

To Which oil pan for roadracing my C5

Quick Reply: Which oil pan for roadracing my C5