Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power before drivetrain upgades?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:05 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Default How much power before drivetrain upgades?

With all of the new larger c.i. motors that are becomnig more "affordable" how much power can the C5 drivetrain support before you should look into upgrading the tranny and diff.
I know that the Z06 has a H.D. torque tube and upgraded rear end, and that most of the drag guys will put in an L.H. output shaft no matter what kind of power they put out.
But what is the limit for road racing 450 whp, 500 whp 600+?
I talked with RPM transmissions and they suggested upgrading the mainshaft at 450 whp. I think that may be conservitive but not the worst idea.
I guess is depends on how you drive, if you are a power shifting high reving maniac then going through the tranny would be a great idea, but for the more conservative driver when do you have to worry about the power overwhelming what the General gave us?
Old 10-26-2007, 02:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 450 rwhp and know of some guys with 600 in a C5. You just can't powershift it like LG in a race although it is fun Yu don't do hole shots it should be fine, for a while. Depending on car year you may have smaller torque tube.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:11 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

from what i have read and seen on the road track. its really hard to use much more than 500rwhp in a Vette. my .02

But a drag race 10,000 hp or more!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To How much power before drivetrain upgades?

Quick Reply: How much power before drivetrain upgades?