Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only a single NCM HPDE in 2008??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Only a single NCM HPDE in 2008??

Looks like there is VIR at the beginning of July and Z06FEST at Putnam Park on a Wednesday in October. Is that it for the NCM HPDEs in 2008??

joel
Old 10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bink
Looks like there is VIR at the beginning of July and Z06FEST at Putnam Park on a Wednesday in October. Is that it for the NCM HPDEs in 2008??

joel

Patients my friend
Old 10-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Tom, I spoke with Adam Boca the other day (I will also be sending an e-mail to Roc) with some things I'd like to see. VIR is a great track and I enjoyed my visit there this past July with the NCM but IMO 2 days is not long enough, I'd like to see a 3 day event. I usually go out with Porsche clubs from the Boston area and almost every one of their events is a full 3 day DE.

Then I suggested a couple of Cdn track locations, Mosport is a great track, Calabogie is brand new and well liked by everyone who's been there (near Ottawa) and of course Mont Tremblant, although Tremblant wants a lot for their track rental. Any of these sure would cut down my 14 hous drive to VIR.

We also discussed Watkins Glen which I did in August, but maybe it's not the best venue for new students and there were plenty at VIR (green sold out in 18 minutes!).

In any case I hope to get to at least one and maybe more NCM events again next season....had a great time and met lot's of people.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There are a lot of things to take into consideration.

Track availability is the big item. Not all tracks have rental days or are rented 2-3 years in advance or are available when we would like to rent that track.

Track safety - some tracks we can get, but does not fit our safety requirements. i.e. we will not do rovals or banked tracks do to new drivers safety.

Instructors - Many times we can get tracks during the week but instructors have full time jobs and may not be available. Or the those instructors who race, are at big races, May and Sept and early Oct many instructors are at NASA Nationals or SCCA run offs

Rental costs. Watkins Glen IIRC is one of the most expensive tracks to rent, then Mid-Ohio IF we could even get those tracks.
We do wish to keep costs reasonable for students and make a little money for the NCM too.

It is a combination of things that does need to come together.

We are working on things for 2008 and beyond.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:16 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't anybody panic!!!

Let Roc, Tom and Adam do their thing for 2008. There will be several events in tracks we will all enjoy.

In other words: PATIENCE.

Last edited by gonzalezfj; 10-27-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:26 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would humbly suggest that there are some great tracks in Texas to look at, if the option is open to ya'll. Eagles Canyon Raceway, Texas World Speedway, MSR Houston, MSR Cresson... All fun to drive and well accustomed to hosting HPDEs. There are lots of Corvettes in Texas, you know.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:03 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Rental costs. Watkins Glen IIRC is one of the most expensive tracks to rent, then Mid-Ohio IF we could even get those tracks.
We do wish to keep costs reasonable for students and make a little money for the NCM too.

I.
How about Summit Point? You get new pavement and I bet they charge less then VIR. As a student, I like a bunch of single day events rather than doubles. Usually I have not gotten it on day II if I haven't gotten it in 4 sessions in day 1. Anyway, I'm sure a single day event at Summit would sell out fast; you can't get more affordable.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:18 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Is there any way that an NCM HPDE can be scheduled in the Pacific Northwest?? Portland International Raceway (2 mile all flat track) is getting all new pavement this month along with changes to a couple of turns.

Pacific Raceways in Kent (old Seattle International Raceway) has a nice 2.25 mile road course. Both tracks have an associated driving school.

These tracks are used by local Corvette clubs for annual track days.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:12 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Is there any way that an NCM HPDE can be scheduled in the Pacific Northwest?? Portland International Raceway (2 mile all flat track) is getting all new pavement this month along with changes to a couple of turns.

Pacific Raceways in Kent (old Seattle International Raceway) has a nice 2.25 mile road course. Both tracks have an associated driving school.

These tracks are used by local Corvette clubs for annual track days.
...to a point. PR eats cars up and spits them out which is why the BMW CCA and PCA won't let anyone near the place unless they pass a car control clinic which is held at Bremerton. If the NCM is concerned about safety, a roval is tame compared to PR. Having said that, when driven right PR is a fun track.

Btw...Just got an e-mail from the BMW guys and we already have our dates for 2008. The track is booked solid so the prospect of getting a weekend is basically zero.

Btw #2...I'd come down and instruct at Portland for ya Tom
Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With more than a dozen groups running track days at Nor. Calif. tracks I
can see that getting closer than Pahrump is not likely. We would all like
to have the NCM come close to home but the logistics will be tough until
they get set on the schedule at some tracks. Infineon/Sears Point is so
popular that several groups have had to drop it from their schedule in the
last few years. Laguna Seca seems to love handing out dates at the
last minute or else they are asking too much and then discount at the
last minute, I don't know, but many groups end up there with just a few
weeks notice. Thunderhill and Buttonwillow seem to be pretty well
booked far in advance. Just have to be happy with Pahrump for now
and maybe they will try Reno-Fernley one of these days. Amazing how
different from Spring Mt. with huge elevation change. About double what
you get even at Sears Point and Laguna.
Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Only a single NCM HPDE in 2008??

Quick Reply: Only a single NCM HPDE in 2008??