Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(C6) Service active handling, but the system wasn't even on!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default (C6) Service active handling, but the system wasn't even on!!

I wasn't getting too much help on the other boards, let me see if the real racers can help. I have an 05 C6. The car runs and works perfect. I ran into two seperate problems this past weekend that is bothering the crap out of me.

#1 I was playing around in the skidpad, I spun out and lost control. Car stopped but didn't stall. All of a sudden my ABS light came on and the service active handling message came on. The run was done with everything off and the message went away after i restart the car.

#2 I was in the middle of an autox run, the message came on again except this time ABS light didn't come on.

Both times they just seem to appear all of a sudden with the AH/TC completely off, anyone have an idea of why it iis doing that?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 02:14 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by tmak26b
I wasn't getting too much help on the other boards, let me see if the real racers can help. I have an 05 C6. The car runs and works perfect. I ran into two seperate problems this past weekend that is bothering the crap out of me.

#1 I was playing around in the skidpad, I spun out and lost control. Car stopped but didn't stall. All of a sudden my ABS light came on and the service active handling message came on. The run was done with everything off and the message went away after i restart the car.

#2 I was in the middle of an autox run, the message came on again except this time ABS light didn't come on.

Both times they just seem to appear all of a sudden with the AH/TC completely off, anyone have an idea of why it iis doing that?

Thanks
On C5s this kind of error happens when too large of a difference in wheel speeds is sensed. You can check your ABS system grounds under the hood and the wheel speed sensor connectors but it will be hard to isolate without knowing what codes are being set. The problem you have is that you cannot read the codes on the DIC like C5 owners can. You have to go to the dealer or some other place where they have a Tech 2 or something similar that can read the automakers proprietary codes. The $100 code scanner at Autozone won't do it.

Bill
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this the same race (track) you have the ice mode failure?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:12 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,395 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by tmak26b

Thanks
The systems aren't "off", you just have the functions disabled. In this situation ABS is still fully functional (and monitoring its sensors).

If you have the "Active Handling Warmup" message come on, take a loog at the IAT sensor. That connector has a habit of breaking one of the wires right at the connector, and an open circuit is interpreted as -34 F. Next time you have the wheels off, check the wiring at the wheel sensors.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope, it's not the warmup lamp. it's the service active handling message. as i said, the unit wasnt on nor did i do anything abnormal. i did autox and spin it, but i did it many times prior and after and not seem to get the same effect. ahh traction control sucks

Get notified of new replies

To (C6) Service active handling, but the system wasn't even on!!

Quick Reply: (C6) Service active handling, but the system wasn't even on!!