Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've had the z06 since 01 so...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default I've had the z06 since 01 so...

It was time for some new blood!

IT is a 1lz 08 -no options on the car.
This car has blown me away! It is a lot better than I thought it would be. More refined than the old car, but handles better, and has a TON more torque/power. GM really hit one out of the park with this car!

The car drives like a caddy around town, but when you put down the hammer and the exhaust opens up, you are gone!

If you are on the fence about a new z, I say go for it!

The only problem with this car is it is too nice for me to track. So I won't be out there blowing any doors off

To guys that have owned both the c5 z and the c6z what are your impressions?

Tim
Old 10-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Awesome... you going to keep your '01 for track duty?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Planning to sell it, the camaro is enough to beat up on Varkwso!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Congrats! I'm not one for red Z's but, that is sweet!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:47 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
Planning to sell it, the camaro is enough to beat up on Varkwso!
The way you drive you ought to keep the '01 as a spare...with two cars you might make it both days on a weekend .... it is easy to beat someone when they are on the trailer...

The red is great by the way....
Old 11-01-2007, 07:03 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice good luck
Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Very nice Tim!! Some day me too.....
Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats I love the red
Old 11-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Bman
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Wait till you track her!!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

UUUUUhhhhhhh! OOOOOOhhhhhh! Make me write a bad check! UUUUUhhhhh!

Would someone pass me the box of tissues, please?

Nice ride, Tim! And I love the color!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Very nice Tim!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 AM
woosch
Pro

Dang boy!!

Congrats!!

You know that it won't take long before it ends up on the track
Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 AM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

CONGRATS , Tim !!!

I agree with your comments about the C-6 Z06.

We expected the big increase in Power with the 427 engine but were pleasantly surprised with the improved handling !!!

Have FUN !!!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Wow, that red looks AWESOME! I'm droolin' here... Great photo! Congrats on your new baby. LOL about your "problem" (being too nice to track)...I'm sure that would be my only hang-up too!

Fred

P.S. If you DO stick w/ the Camaro for track duty, will you install a rear-facing light that alerts us when the smokescreen is about to commence???
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fhturner
Wow, that red looks AWESOME! I'm droolin' here... Great photo! Congrats on your new baby. LOL about your "problem" (being too nice to track)...I'm sure that would be my only hang-up too!

Fred

P.S. If you DO stick w/ the Camaro for track duty, will you install a rear-facing light that alerts us when the smokescreen is about to commence???
Sure Fred! Hope it won't be necessary! Blew a head gasket at my last event, so I am going to address the "smokescreen" issue while I'm at the gasket!

Tim
Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 AM
gpm30236
Racer

congrads, how long till you take that one on track ?

Get notified of new replies

To I've had the z06 since 01 so...

Old 11-01-2007, 12:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned both. I had a 2001 Z06 that was heavily moddifed, with Phoenix suspension prep, cornerweighted, upgrade sways, shocks, poly throughout, Wilwood SL6 calipers, R compounds, coolers, sparco seats, Aluminum flywheel, stage II clutch, kooks headers, fully open exhaust, G5X3 cam, undrive pulley.... This car was easily 100lbs lighter than the stock car 01Z and had 423rwhp (so you get the idea, this car was MEAN and would crush stock Z's all day long).

I then picked up the C6Z06, and it DECIMATED my totally modified Z in both strait line speed and under cornering. I think with the SL6 calipers, my other Z was as good or better in braking, but this car did everything else so well, it didn't matter. Even though I had 423RWHP in the other car, the C6Z06 was night and day in terms of power and torque. It actually scared the heck out of me for a while (still does)! I couldn't beleive also how well the new Z handled with just a set of Hoosiers. Right now my car is TOTALLY stock except for track tires and a tune, and iI shake when I am done my session it is so fast.

With all that said, it's exactly as you state, smooth as a caddy and refined and a MUCH better street car than the C5. It is AMAZING that the car is so smooth and street friendly, but so fast on the track. My C5Z was like a FREAK show to get as fast as I got it. It was rock hard, squeeked from poly's, the whole car shook from the high life cam, it was LOUD and uncomfortable. So GM built a car that is truly race car fast, but caddy smooth.

The only downside so far are COST, both the cost of the car and the cost to RUN the car doubles from an already expensive C5Z and the soft rubber feel. Even though the suspension is stiff and the car handles 100% better, it does not communicate NEARLY as well as my C5Z in terms of feel. I sometimes feel I am on a boat and floating around the track. After a full season, I have not gotten use to this. The tires grip like MAD, but it's like you are very isolated from what they are doing with the road.

The other downside is the fact that the car is SOO nice, you don't want to hack it up and put all the safety stuff (harness, seats). Hacking up a $40k is one thing, hacking a $70k TOTALLY DIFFERNT! So now I am going faster than with my other car without any safety gear. Also, everything is a PITA. You have to relearn the tire sensors every time, and you CAN'T put a race seat in the car or the airbag sensors lock everything up. The brakes pads wear like they were made from rubber.

So, while the car is a blast, and I can finally say, been there done that, got the t-shirt, I see no reason to own this car for the street as I can't even wind out 2nd gear, as I am doing 90+mph. So, I will probably keep the car for 1/2 the next season and let her go
Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 95jersey
So, I will probably keep the car for 1/2 the next season and let her go
I got a nice z06 505 hat with mine! Good writeup!

Glen, I will take this car to a low key event like seat time, or maybe chin for VERY limited duty.

Tim
Old 11-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I owned both. I had a 2001 Z06 that was heavily moddifed, with Phoenix suspension prep, cornerweighted, upgrade sways, shocks, poly throughout, Wilwood SL6 calipers, R compounds, coolers, sparco seats, Aluminum flywheel, stage II clutch, kooks headers, fully open exhaust, G5X3 cam, undrive pulley.... This car was easily 100lbs lighter than the stock car 01Z and had 423rwhp (so you get the idea, this car was MEAN and would crush stock Z's all day long).

I then picked up the C6Z06, and it DECIMATED my totally modified Z in both strait line speed and under cornering. I think with the SL6 calipers, my other Z was as good or better in braking, but this car did everything else so well, it didn't matter. Even though I had 423RWHP in the other car, the C6Z06 was night and day in terms of power and torque. It actually scared the heck out of me for a while (still does)! I couldn't beleive also how well the new Z handled with just a set of Hoosiers. Right now my car is TOTALLY stock except for track tires and a tune, and iI shake when I am done my session it is so fast.

With all that said, it's exactly as you state, smooth as a caddy and refined and a MUCH better street car than the C5. It is AMAZING that the car is so smooth and street friendly, but so fast on the track. My C5Z was like a FREAK show to get as fast as I got it. It was rock hard, squeeked from poly's, the whole car shook from the high life cam, it was LOUD and uncomfortable. So GM built a car that is truly race car fast, but caddy smooth.

The only downside so far are COST, both the cost of the car and the cost to RUN the car doubles from an already expensive C5Z and the soft rubber feel. Even though the suspension is stiff and the car handles 100% better, it does not communicate NEARLY as well as my C5Z in terms of feel. I sometimes feel I am on a boat and floating around the track. After a full season, I have not gotten use to this. The tires grip like MAD, but it's like you are very isolated from what they are doing with the road.

The other downside is the fact that the car is SOO nice, you don't want to hack it up and put all the safety stuff (harness, seats). Hacking up a $40k is one thing, hacking a $70k TOTALLY DIFFERNT! So now I am going faster than with my other car without any safety gear. Also, everything is a PITA. You have to relearn the tire sensors every time, and you CAN'T put a race seat in the car or the airbag sensors lock everything up. The brakes pads wear like they were made from rubber.

So, while the car is a blast, and I can finally say, been there done that, got the t-shirt, I see no reason to own this car for the street as I can't even wind out 2nd gear, as I am doing 90+mph. So, I will probably keep the car for 1/2 the next season and let her go
Very interesting write up. Thank you sir.

Quick Reply: I've had the z06 since 01 so...