Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans and diff fluid poll

Old 11-01-2007, 05:46 PM
jdonnelly
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trans and diff fluid poll

Hi:

I am using redline MTL in the transmission and change oncce a year. I use redline 75-90 in the diff (not ns) and change once a year also. Usually around now (the end of the season). This is in a 2004 ZO6.

I was thinking of mizing D4atf and MTL 50-50 as the gear box gets a little stiff during the winter when it is cold.

What are others doing?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

Tremec has told me in no uncertain terms, that you should use ATF only in the trans. They also recommend Pro Blends ATF additive to keep temps down (watter wetter for ATF), but that isn't your problem now.

I stick with Mobil 1, as it is readily available in case I run out at the track.

I think of MTL as being thicker than ATF anyway, so I don't know that mixing would help any.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:59 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Run strictly Mobil 1 ATF in the transmission and Mobil 1 75/90 synthetic in differential with GM addative. Absolutely no problems - change annually at end of season usually 12-14 events.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:20 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I run Royal Purple SynchroMax in the trannies and Royal Purple MaxGear 75/90 in the rear. No issues here. Change out once a year.

RPM suggests Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in the trannies.

I think LG and DRM are both fans of Redline.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

[QUOTE=96CollectorSport;1562571176]I run Royal Purple SynchroMax in the trannies and Royal Purple MaxGear 75/90 in the rear. No issues here. QUOTE]
Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 708 Likes on 489 Posts

Royal purple used to be 2-3x more than the other synthetics, but since everything else has now doubled in cost, is their's at all competitive????

In my racing day's, I changed fluids every 2-3 events, so even Mobil 1 was overkill. Now I'm a little more laid back, and would consider RP if it is at all affordable.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:26 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

At PRI, I am going to have a long conversation with Joe Gibbs Racing about their oil and lubes.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:53 PM
linutux
Pro

Anyone know anything about BG Ultra-Guard?

A dealer told me that's what they used in my tranny.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Royal purple used to be 2-3x more than the other synthetics, but since everything else has now doubled in cost, is their's at all competitive????

In my racing day's, I changed fluids every 2-3 events, so even Mobil 1 was overkill. Now I'm a little more laid back, and would consider RP if it is at all affordable.
David. I run the RP stuff. Synchromax in the trans, MaxGear in the diff, and their oil in the engine. Their price is right in line with Mobil 1. You can get their fluids at NAPA or Pep Boys. Heck they even sell their oil at WallyWorld now! The Synchromax is a bit more expensive than Mobil 1 trans fluid. But most people agree the trans shifts smoother with it. I use their synthetic PS fluid too. Have never had foaming in the PS. Never had trans overtemp warnings with no trans cooler. I've sent the used oil samples to Blackstone and I'm pretty happy with how long it lasts.

I know what you mean about it being a specialty product. When I started using it I had to go round about face through a shop that bought it. They would sell me quarts at their price. Now I just pick it up at the parts store on my way home.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
David. I run the RP stuff. Synchromax in the trans, MaxGear in the diff, and their oil in the engine. Their price is right in line with Mobil 1. You can get their fluids at NAPA or Pep Boys. Heck they even sell their oil at WallyWorld now! The Synchromax is a bit more expensive than Mobil 1 trans fluid. But most people agree the trans shifts smoother with it. I use their synthetic PS fluid too. Have never had foaming in the PS. Never had trans overtemp warnings with no trans cooler. I've sent the used oil samples to Blackstone and I'm pretty happy with how long it lasts.

I know what you mean about it being a specialty product. When I started using it I had to go round about face through a shop that bought it. They would sell me quarts at their price. Now I just pick it up at the parts store on my way home.
is there a temp warning sensor fir manual trannies? or is that just autos? :rolleyes ??

which RP fluid do you use for power steering?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I run Amsoil synthetic ATF in the trans and Amsoil 75w110 severe duty gear lube in the dif. 5w40 in the motor.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:43 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here.

Dog
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rustyguns
is there a temp warning sensor fir manual trannies? or is that just autos? :rolleyes ??

which RP fluid do you use for power steering?
There is a trans overtemp warning for the manual.

RP makes a synthetic PS fluid. That is harder to find. NAPA might be carrying it. I get that from the folks I used to get all my RP fluids from. They are a local authorized dealer and a performance shop for 4x4s. They use RP in all their off road racing trucks.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:01 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jdonnelly
Hi:

I am using redline MTL in the transmission and change oncce a year. I use redline 75-90 in the diff (not ns) and change once a year also. Usually around now (the end of the season). This is in a 2004 ZO6.

I was thinking of mizing D4atf and MTL 50-50 as the gear box gets a little stiff during the winter when it is cold.

What are others doing?

Thanks
Jeff
I've run D4 and 75-90 Redlines year around in both my vert and my Z track car since I got them.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:48 AM
jdonnelly
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DRM sent me the RedLine MTL and the 75-90 when I purchased the trans and diff coolers a few years back. The trans does ask for ATF and the MTL is thicker than the ATF. I have used both in my last car. I used to run D4ATF from Nov to March then MTL during track season. It worked well but was a little bit of a pain. I am going to look into what the issues with MTL might be.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:05 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I run Royal Purple SynchroMax in the trannies and Royal Purple MaxGear 75/90 in the rear. No issues here
Old 11-02-2007, 02:41 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Amsoil Dexron III / VI spec ATF
Amsoil 75/90 Severe Gear Lube in the Diff (additive not necessary, per spec, but I bought 4 oz of additive anyway ... several months later I heard a "clunking" on slow sharp "U" turn so added 2-3 oz ... all good)
Use Redline PS fluid
I believe Redline is recommended by DTE for their built diffs

Get notified of new replies

To Trans and diff fluid poll

Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Run strictly Mobil 1 ATF in the transmission and Mobil 1 75/90 synthetic in differential with GM addative. Absolutely no problems - change annually at end of season usually 12-14 events.
What does everybody think about the number of events? My fluid was changed in December and trans again in April and by next December it will have seen just 4 days on track, comprising just over 300 minutes. Can I just wait until December of 2008 and put some more events on this fluid?

BTW I use Amsoil ATF in the trans. and Amsoil severe gear in the Diff with the GM additive added for good measure. No noises from the diff.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:14 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
I run Royal Purple SynchroMax in the trannies and Royal Purple MaxGear 75/90 in the rear. No issues here. Change out once a year.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:44 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
What does everybody think about the number of events? My fluid was changed in December and trans again in April and by next December it will have seen just 4 days on track, comprising just over 300 minutes. Can I just wait until December of 2008 and put some more events on this fluid?
BTW I use Amsoil ATF in the trans. and Amsoil severe gear in the Diff with the GM additive added for good measure. No noises from the diff.
I think you're good for next year ... I changed mine in Jul '06 @ 15,000 miles. I have had prolly 10 track days and 4 days of time trials and 10,000 miles since then and I am planning on changing out this winter ... FWIW ... YMMV

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans and diff fluid poll