Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitch for Autox Trailer for C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:55 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hitch for Autox Trailer for C6 Z06

I've been reading old threads, and doing some surfing of vendor sites, and am getting the impression that there are no trailer hitches made specifically for the C6 Z06--and maybe none other than generic hitches for the C6 Coupe either. Is this right? Has availability changed at all in the last six months, since last time this came up?

(I'm an autocrosser and current C5 Z06 owner with no room for a tow vehicle or an open trailer, but am seriously thinking about the C6 Z. The autox trailer I already have.)

Is the configuration of the C6 Z06 exhaust system that problematic?

Anybody have any solution that seems to work? I want to do this, guys.

Thanks in Advance,

Jim
Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminVirginia
I've been reading old threads, and doing some surfing of vendor sites, and am getting the impression that there are no trailer hitches made specifically for the C6 Z06--and maybe none other than generic hitches for the C6 Coupe either. Is this right? Has availability changed at all in the last six months, since last time this came up?

(I'm an autocrosser and current C5 Z06 owner with no room for a tow vehicle or an open trailer, but am seriously thinking about the C6 Z. The autox trailer I already have.)

Is the configuration of the C6 Z06 exhaust system that problematic?

Anybody have any solution that seems to work? I want to do this, guys.

Thanks in Advance,

Jim
This was a BIG issue for me. I used to also tow a tire trailer with my C5Z06, and just assumed an option was available. We'll there was one company in Seattle that made one, but could not distribute due to legal issues. So, if you live near Seattle, they will build the hitch if you go to their shop, they just can't ship them out. Right now the only solutions are VERY expensive custom hitches made by a fabricator. I was quoted minimum of $1500 for it to be even worth their while to touch! Even then, most want to stay away from installing any hitch to an aluminum frame. Everytime I turn, there is something stupid about this car that costs lots of money.

I called the manufacturer of the standard C6 hitch and asked if it could fit on the Z, and they said no primarily becuase of the exahust vacuum valves and it was not designed for aluminum frame, but they said t it would probably work if you could get by the exhaust issue as long as your trailer very low weight.

It all seemed like a lot of money to spend just for a tire trailer (new exhaust, C6 hitch that MAY not work, or $1500 minimum for custom fab). I went out and found a 2 year old open trailer for $1800 and figured it was money much better spent. I can always sell the trailer, and the miles I keep off the car traveling 300+ miles each way to track events keeps the value higher which essentially pays for the trailer itself in the long run.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 PM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. When I searched the board I found your old posts on this, and they were very helpful.

You mention the company that makes the standard c6 hitch. Who is that? I could at least investigate some simple exhaust system mods that might make it work. There is no way, given the Washington DC suburb I live in, that I'll have room for either an open trailer or a tow vehicle.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Guys -

I am getting my '08 Z51 Coupe at the museum next week. This hitch issue has been bothering me, cause I really wanted the factory-installed NPP bi-mode exhaust, as this car will be my only vehicle and will have to play 3 roles - daily driver, autocrosser and HPDE'er. But -of course- it has the same hitch clearance issues as the Z06 unit.

I DID go ahead with the NPP exhaust purchase, and here's what I have planned for the hitch :

A good friend and fellow autocrosser happens to also be a NASCAR master fabricator for a MAJOR Cup Team. I am going to buy the standard C6 Curt hitch and have him either duplicate it outright or modify the original to fit around the exhaust valves. It honestly does not look like much of a challenge for someone with his skills.

We will see how this goes - NO promises. But if things work out and he is interested in doing this more then once, we MAY be able to offer to do the same for others on this forum.

Of course, the legal crap may again kill the whole idea, as there would HAVE to be a FULL, written understanding of ZERO liability for damage to the car, frame, trailer, etc. before any money changed hands.

It will be a while before I can get this project started, but I'll know something before next season. I will keep you all posted.

BTW - Eckler's sells the standard C6 Curt hitch for $269, and has a hitch cover with C6 logo that fits between the tailpipes and kinda looks like an exhaust filler panel.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 PM
jjherman3
Advanced

Default Hitch for a Z

A good friend and fellow autocrosser happens to also be a NASCAR master fabricator for a MAJOR Cup Team. I am going to buy the standard C6 Curt hitch and have him either duplicate it outright or modify the original to fit around the exhaust valves. It honestly does not look like much of a challenge for someone with his skills.
I had a friend do this very thing last year. It worked great and wasn't that hard to make it fit between the mufflers. I sold it to a guy in Canada cause I bought a car trailer. I've got some pics of the hitch on the car and my tire trailer. You guys should be able to figure it out.

http://jjherman3.photoape.com/album/...m?albumID=4444

Hope this helps.
Jeff
Old 11-03-2007, 04:37 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLurker
BTW - Eckler's sells the standard C6 Curt hitch for $269, and has a hitch cover with C6 logo that fits between the tailpipes and kinda looks like an exhaust filler panel.
Do some internet searches for the C6 hitch. I got the Curt hitch from the hitch house for less that $200
Old 11-03-2007, 07:58 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Yeah - just checked price on a few Googled hitch sites...

The exact same Curt hitch is $202 on ETrailer.com and $179 on HitchSource.com.

I forgot there were cheaper sources for this ... sorry.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 11-03-2007 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:30 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Those are all really helpful. Thanks everyone.

Get notified of new replies

To Hitch for Autox Trailer for C6 Z06

Quick Reply: Hitch for Autox Trailer for C6 Z06