Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I give up..what's the best size for autocross/HPDE tires???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:52 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I give up..what's the best size for autocross/HPDE tires???

I'm in the market for some autox/HPDE tires and wheels. After doing much research and getting generally smoked on the track and parking lots by other 'vettes with race rubber, I've decided that a set of 17"s all 'round would be in order. Common sizes, and I can rotate front to back for longer life (and stretch the racing budget).

But, what I'm finding is nobody's got a full set of 17"s lying around! Oh sure, plenty of C5 chromie's and ZO6 repro's abound, but I'd like OEM's for their weight savings. Am I going in the wrong direction? Should I jump on another set of stock C5 wheels and call it a day?

Help! (off my soapbox now.)
Old 11-03-2007, 11:59 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

you should be able to find a set of 17's just be paitence actually a set just showed up in the For sale section but i have pmed the guy cause i'm looking for another set.

As for sizes get some 17X11 wheels and put 315/35/17 kumho v710 which can be used for track and AX or invest in another set of wheels and get some road tires. Just to for warn ya V710 through the tire rack are gona be around 1200 for a set.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Armycop
Drifting

OOH, get my hopes up, then stick it deep into my heart!!

I think that once I get the wheels, I'll pick up some "lightly used" race rubber next. I've never tracked my C5 with race tires, and I suspect there will be another learning curve to overcome.
Thanks for the encouragement tho! I shall persist!
Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry about that all you gotta do is take the time and keep a look out for a set of wheels your gona want at least 10in wide wheels so you'll have to look into the aftermarket which is no biggy there will be plenty of wheels come up between now and spring.

Granted you could pick up another set of stocks or like wagon wheels like i have seen and get sizes to fit them wheels in the end i guess you gotta ask your self for as much as i'm gona use them and how much more competive do i wana be. If your only gona do a couple a year then the OEM route might be better.

And well as a added bonus to help stretch the racing dollar farther you can go to diffrent outfits and buy race takes off for a fraction of the price of new and a get a few track days or autoX on them.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:08 PM
toolman44092
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that if you're planning on staying with NCCC events and you use other than stock size rims you'll be in group 2.

Like this car was
Old 11-04-2007, 07:27 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

I would recommend going with a set of stock-size Z06 wheels. I run 295/40 front and 315/35 rear Kumho V710's, and they actually wear pretty evenly. The fronts will start to go first, but when I notice that, I make myself use the throttle more, slide the rear more, and usually go a little faster. So, when I change them out, the fronts are more shot than the rear, but not a ton. Plus, with stock sized wheels, you can run in SuperStock in SCCA or Group I with NCCC. You're gonna love race rubber!!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:05 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedOtSix
I would recommend going with a set of stock-size Z06 wheels. I run 295/40 front and 315/35 rear Kumho V710's, and they actually wear pretty evenly. The fronts will start to go first, but when I notice that, I make myself use the throttle more, slide the rear more, and usually go a little faster. So, when I change them out, the fronts are more shot than the rear, but not a ton. Plus, with stock sized wheels, you can run in SuperStock in SCCA or Group I with NCCC. You're gonna love race rubber!!
Group 2 for non-ZO6 cars in NCCC.

Oh yeah the Crystal Red Vette came in the other day.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:11 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I thought the hot ticket was to buy expensive ccws. But if you go stock and cheap I thought guys were using zo6 rear wheels at all 4 corners with about 295 fronts and 315's rears. I could be wrong on that impression.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:21 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 11-04-2007, 10:50 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Wheels

ZO6 rear's on all 4 corners with
295 fronts
315 rears

A good reasonably inexpensive setup
Hoosiers R6's or Kuhmo710's to go fast
or Toyo R888's for long lasting reasonably fast tires
Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

GS Replica wheels - 17x9.5" front 17x11" rear
tires: Kumho v710 275 front, 315 rear or hosier 295 front, 315 rear.

I got the wheels with used 710s mounted and ready to go for $500 + shipping and since then have picked up several set of scrubs for no more than $300. The last set was a set of Hoosier A6s with 3 heat cycles for $250.

if you can pick up a set of 17x11s and run 315s all around. They seem to be easier to find used.

Last edited by Lancer033; 11-05-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Armycop
Drifting

So, you boys wait until you're back at work to check the forum? Bad Cop, No Donut!! (That was for Tim )

Tim, I forgot about the bump in class by going with non-stock tires, thanks for the reminder. I'm not nearly ready to move up. BTW, why are getting out of the racing game? You never said?

Al, Why did you have to tell me that? Now I have to reconsider my options all over again!! Seriously, take some pictures and send them to me so I can show the wife, thanks.

Keith, what are these GS replica's you talking about? Are you offering them to me for $500?

I guess the ticket is to get another set of stock wheels and find some used rubber to play on. So that's what I'm going to do!

Thanks guys.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:01 PM
JaGsC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Armycop
Keith, what are these GS replica's you talking about?
The GS replicas he is talking about are the C4 Grand Sport wheels. You will need the Grand Sport offsets if you decide to run a 17 inch wheel on all four corners. I bought mine at;

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com...r1-black.shtml

Good price if you want to buy a new set of GS 17" wheels. Go get the wheels, buy a fresh set of Kumhos and go have some fun. You own a Corvette, what another 1000 Bucks?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

what he said. Replica wheels from the '96 C4 Grand Sport. As for the price, that's what I paid for them, not planning to sell them just yet. They're pretty easy to find on ebay, but if you have trouble finding them shoot me a PM. Let me also that this is not a setup that will win nationals, just something that cost effective setup for the normal AutoX/track day guy that wants to have some fun without breaking the bank and probably wouldn't lose any time with few extra lbs of weight anyways.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Originally Posted by JaGsC5
Go get the wheels, buy a fresh set of Kumhos and go have some fun. You own a Corvette, what another 1000 Bucks?
You work for Uncle Sugar as well and can say that? Must've had an inheritance come in last year...
Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

So, you boys wait until you're back at work to check the forum? Bad Cop, No Donut!! (That was for Tim )

Tim, I forgot about the bump in class by going with non-stock tires, thanks for the reminder. I'm not nearly ready to move up. BTW, why are getting out of the racing game? You never said?

Al, Why did you have to tell me that? Now I have to reconsider my options all over again!! Seriously, take some pictures and send them to me so I can show the wife, thanks.

Keith, what are these GS replica's you talking about? Are you offering them to me for $500?

I guess the ticket is to get another set of stock wheels and find some used rubber to play on. So that's what I'm going to do!

Thanks guys.
You'll have them today.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I recommend that you run the Hankook C70s & C50s for lapping, get 275/40 17 square.

You can rotate them and they are cheaper than both Kuhmo & Hoosier not to mention faster.

I would also step up and run with NASA, you'll love it.

Get notified of new replies

To I give up..what's the best size for autocross/HPDE tires???

Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Armycop:

Since I've seen you at events you've always been in Group 2 anyway, so going with 17's all around isn't going to move you anywhere, unless you've changed back to stock.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Yea, I realized that after I had posted. No beer for me.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
I recommend that you run the Hankook C70s & C50s for lapping, get 275/40 17 square.

You can rotate them and they are cheaper than both Kuhmo & Hoosier not to mention faster.

I would also step up and run with NASA, you'll love it.
I will be needing new tires soon as well so I went to check these out and cannot find any tire labeled C anything on the Hankook site. Is there a different part number?

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/index.asp

Quick Reply: I give up..what's the best size for autocross/HPDE tires???