Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you patch Hoosier R6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:44 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Can you patch Hoosier R6?

I bought 2 R6 scrubs and finally got them mounted. One tire goes flat in a day or two. I haven't had a chance to find where it is leaking yet.

If there is a hole in the tire, can you repair it like you can a regular tire?

I put about 25psi in it and didn't hear any leaks so it must be pretty small. I haven't put them on the car yet. I still need 2 front tires.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:27 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to a tire shop and have 'em dunk it to see where the leak is coming from. It's possible the problem is with the valve stem or actually with the wheel.

I wouldn't track it until you figure out what's up.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2007, 04:29 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have, they are still radial tires. Same rules apply as a street tire, as long as the hole is not near the sidewall. I have patched 710's and Hoosier's on a couple occasions. I am sure people will chime in and say they are trash, but I just don't understand that mentality. If a simple nail puncture affected the integrity of a tire THAT much, I would be very nervous about running such a tire on even my lawn mower. As long as it is not near the shoulder or has compromised the steel/nylon structure, a tire does not depend on the actual rubber for it's integrity. I can't wait to see the flamming responses.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:46 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I can't wait to see the flamming responses.
Hah, you think you'll get flamed for that??? What about when I plugged an RA-1 and continued to autocross on it until it corded??

Of course, I could always say it was a "premium" plug: nothing too good for my baby!!!!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-05-2007, 04:51 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't planning on running them until next season. I was replacing shocks the other day and was going to put them on the back to see how they fit. When I picked up the one tire it was flat and I thought WTF is this? I put some air in it and put it on for a test fit. I removed it and put it back in the shop.

Checked this morning and it is flat again. I thought it could be a vavle stem or bad wheel. I'll check it out. Before I took it to the tire shop I wanted to find out if you could fix it or if it was toast.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Put a little liquid dish soap on the bead of the tire and the rim. See if it bubbles.

Put a drop of spit in the valve.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Depending on how you want to use the tire it may be OK. If you are considering high speed use you may want to reconsider as the patched tire may not retain its speed rating and could be considered a non speed rated tire. This would limit its use in most HPDEs. From the Tire Rack web site:

A punctured speed rated tire brings with it additional considerations. While some tire manufacturers "allow" a tire to retain its speed rating if a specified multi-step repair procedure is followed exactly, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the damage caused by the puncture or the quality of the repair, they cannot confirm that the tire has retained its high speed capability. Therefore, their policy is that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire.

Finding an installer that will repair the tire could be another problem. About 10 years ago I got a puncture in one of my BFG R1s at an autocross in a Sam's Club parking lot. It was caused by a small nail that I just happened to run over while driving the course. From one run to the next (about a half hour) the tire went flat. The xxxxxx Sam's Club tire shop refused to repair the tire even though they had watched me run the car several times and knew I must have picked up the nail in the lot.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-05-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Depending on how you want to use the tire it may be OK. If you are considering high speed use you may want to reconsider as the patched tire may not retain its speed rating and could be considered a non speed rated tire. This would limit its use in most HPDEs. From the Tire Rack web site:

A punctured speed rated tire brings with it additional considerations. While some tire manufacturers "allow" a tire to retain its speed rating if a specified multi-step repair procedure is followed exactly, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the damage caused by the puncture or the quality of the repair, they cannot confirm that the tire has retained its high speed capability. Therefore, their policy is that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire.

Bill
And tire rack sells...
Old 11-05-2007, 05:28 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I plug them and then run them down to the cords.

Your comfort level may vary.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:30 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I find Hoosiers leak air from the beads. They generally hold air for a few days before they go flat.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:36 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I have, they are still radial tires. Same rules apply as a street tire, as long as the hole is not near the sidewall. I have patched 710's and Hoosier's on a couple occasions. I am sure people will chime in and say they are trash, but I just don't understand that mentality. If a simple nail puncture affected the integrity of a tire THAT much, I would be very nervous about running such a tire on even my lawn mower. As long as it is not near the shoulder or has compromised the steel/nylon structure, a tire does not depend on the actual rubber for it's integrity. I can't wait to see the flamming responses.
Agreed as long as the tire has a steel belt. The old Hoosiers didnt, but new R6 does.
So far, I only had one punctor. Was with a BFG R1. I plugged the tire and it got more track use.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Tires are strange.
I have seen a finish nail totally destroy a tire, must of hit a steel belt or some other structual component. Were talking a little paneling nail.

and yet on another Occasion a big 1/4" steel spike come right out and get patched, no problem.

I have also seen a Porsche guy plug a tire with a $2.00 plug kit, and run 150 MPH around Pocono, no problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Can you patch Hoosier R6?

Quick Reply: Can you patch Hoosier R6?