Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

r-compounds and cool weather??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default r-compounds and cool weather??

I have a team challenge this weekend - 4 drivers autocrossing in my car - and the weather wil be 20-25 at night and 42 for a high for the day. It won't be wet - that's the good point.

I'm wondering if v710's are going to have any grip. The course will be in a parking lot - so it will be short. I doubt heat will generate and I haven't used r-compounds on cold days before.

any thoughts or advice -
tia, Barbara
Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes possibly depending how close the runs are together and if its windy. I often will do runs with lower than normal air pressures to allow more squirm to generate more heat. The hard part is putting down the power until they get some heat. If its windy and you don't have tire or car wrap/banket, good luck retaining any heat.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Depending on how many cars/drivers you may be OK. Having 3 other people warming your tires between the times you drive may make you more than competitive. Without the other people the tires would slide all over the place and street tires might actually perform better.

Bill
Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

You could use a small heater to blow on the tires.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

My last auto X of the year was cool and only me driving the car and well a good 10 mintes or better before i got my runs of 3 i left my car just idle most of the time which helped with warming the tires i also ran a bit higher pressure. and that seemed to help since i wasn't getting enough heat i think to get them to where they normally was inflated too.

Best of luck
Old 11-08-2007, 08:14 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Depending on how many cars/drivers you may be OK. Having 3 other people warming your tires between the times you drive may make you more than competitive. Without the other people the tires would slide all over the place and street tires might actually perform better.

Bill

I agree, especially with the last line. Get a tire warmer to help you or go on street tires.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

1. Start with lower pressures, -3 to -4 from usual for starting cold and go from there. As the temps come up bleed off some, but as you reach 100 degrees of tire temp you should be close to normal pressures.

2. Get some tire blankets or make some from the stuff that you can get at Home Depot (aluminum bubble stuff).

3. Wrap the tires before you run and let the engine idle, that will heat the fronts pretty well, but remember that the rears will likely be stone cold and you have to be careful to start with lower pressures and be gentle on the first two runs.

The biggest issue is getting some heat in the back tires. And no, spinning them off the line doesn't seem to help much.

With four drivers you should be able to get a good bit of heat into the tires, watch your temperatures, if you go over 120 or so they will go off and you will be slip sliding around from too much heat.

Get notified of new replies

To r-compounds and cool weather??

Quick Reply: r-compounds and cool weather??