Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this Sony Hard drive Camcorder work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 02:14 PM
jrnix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this Sony Hard drive Camcorder work?

I am looking at a Sony SR-100 Hard Drive Camcorder. I have read that the mini-dvds don't work in the car. Has anyone tried the Sony hard drive. I need one for the NCM Parhump event (plenty of time)
Jim
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hard drive camcorders do not work...I tried and no luck. It did not like the rapid movement and vibrations...Solid State and MiniDV will work find.....DVD camcorders do not either..

Adam
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
jrnix
Advanced

Thanks,
You saved me some $. I'll buy you an adult beverage this weekend.
Jim
Old 11-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Wish I was going!

I will be here in Bowling Green at a ceremony where my late Grandfather is having a building named after him at the local college...

Have a great time!

Adam
Old 11-08-2007, 03:20 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a JVC mini dv camera and I could not believe how well it worked. It had a great picture and audio in the race car it was also very small and light weight. I bought it because it was only $200 at Best Buy and I figured if it didnt work it was no big loss. If you are interested the model number is GR-DA30U.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:37 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I tried my friends Sony with the hard drive and it kept shutting off!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Sony Handycam it is a couple of years old but works great. It is a DCR-HD40 whatever you buy the camera needs to a good stabilizer built in.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:45 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by jrnix
I am looking at a Sony SR-100 Hard Drive Camcorder. I have read that the mini-dvds don't work in the car. Has anyone tried the Sony hard drive. I need one for the NCM Parhump event (plenty of time)
Jim
I use a sony mini DV tape. The sound is not the best and i need to put on a slight amount of zoom to make it size correct.

This is a start of the 2nd session lined up out front on a SCCA TT race weekend. I actually only qualified 6 of 24. Sorting out my new slicks and brake problems. I had to bog the motor in 3 and 4th to keep from spining the rear tires to much, but nobody ever passed me. Top speed on this track is mid 150's mph

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...ofsession2.flv

Last edited by gkull; 11-08-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

My Sony mini DVD cam corder takes really good video, but it's a nightmare trying to convert the files into a mpeg format (or something similar) from the VOB file in order to upload to Youtube. I highly recommend buying the Chase Cam camera mount. It makes for very smooth video. Here's a crappy quality video (due to decompressing) I took a few weeks ago at ATL motor speedway:

And here's a comparison video taken with a handheld camera by my passenger. Notice the difference in how "shaky" his video is:

Old 11-08-2007, 04:23 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Hard drive camcorders do not work...I tried and no luck. It did not like the rapid movement and vibrations...Solid State and MiniDV will work find.....DVD camcorders do not either..

Adam

Tried it, didn't work SONY
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
My Sony mini DVD cam corder takes really good video, but it's a nightmare trying to convert the files into a mpeg format (or something similar) from the VOB file in order to upload to Youtube. I highly recommend buying the Chase Cam camera mount. It makes for very smooth video. Here's a crappy quality video (due to decompressing) I took a few weeks ago at ATL motor speedway:
DVD cams will NOT work. (except as above on a parade lap at 60mph.)

The G forces on a roadcourse cause DVD and hardrive cams to have issues with the spinning drives.

And of course, if you can mount the camera to the dash, window or a Hardbar, you will not have any "shakes".
Old 11-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Canon has a new mini dv high definition camera out that looks like it ought to be great. Stabilizer, mic input, and all the goodies for only a grand. Well, there had to be a little bad news.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Sony Mini DVD works great for 60 seconds they it is junk. Mini Hi 8 tape still works great.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:44 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm having really good luck with an older model Sony mini DV. Model DCR-HC32.

It has two features I really like. First, it will record to either the Mini DV tape or a memory card. Both work well in the car at the track and, althought the memory card is lower quality, it still works great for simply viewing on my laptop. Second, the camera has the capability to tape from an external source so I can use it as a capture device for a future bullet camera or other video feed.

I think you can still purchase these reconditioned for a reasonable price.

John
Old 11-08-2007, 10:01 PM
spankythegator
Advanced

I use mini DV as well...the only way to go for an in-car cam....just got the Sony HDR-HC7 which records in 1080i high definition...it is awesome!!! I can actually see the dust on my dash....plus it has an HDMI output on the camera so you can just plug it in to your high def TV....fantastic picture! You can also get the Sony HDR-HC5 for a little less moolah...but whatever you go with definitely don't get a DVD or HDD camera.

Get notified of new replies

To Will this Sony Hard drive Camcorder work?

Quick Reply: Will this Sony Hard drive Camcorder work?