Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange experiences with a hired pit crew...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Blorton
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default strange experiences with a hired pit crew...

If you were paying an outside crew a decent rate to provide pit and paddock support for several cars and drivers at the club racing level, would you accept lackadaisical performance from them?

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I had the pleasure of spending the day with a team yesterday that uses an outside company for support, and was surprised at some of the things I saw. Guys just sort of ambling around when a car wasn't going to be ready in time for a qualifying session, arguing with drivers on setup issues, etc. Don't get me wrong, they weren't totally screwing off, but man...

I guess maybe part of this is expecting something like the business world, where folks take ownership of a problem and see it through completion. (shrug)

Dan
Old 11-10-2007, 11:12 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

sounds like a leadership issue to me.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Blorton
Pro

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
sounds like a leadership issue to me.
Yea, I was thinking that, but didn't want to make waves asking the obvious.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Gatorac
Pro

If you were paying an outside crew a decent rate to provide pit and paddock support for several cars and drivers at the club racing level, would you accept lackadaisical performance from them?
I would pay a different crew next race. There are many companies available for pit and paddock support for club racing out there. If your not happy with the support you got, talk to the owner about it. If that doesn't make you feel good about next time, go with some one else.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's like with any other "service" related matter... Set the expectation going in, and chew some *** if they aren't delivering to those expectations. You're paying them, so it doesn't make sense to me why you wouldn't be driving them to provide the level of support required.

I'd certainly pass along to them your displeasure. Otherwise they might think they hit your mark for success.

Mike
Old 11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Blorton
Pro

Just to clarify, this wasn't my team and I had no involvement other than one of the drivers being an acquaintance. I only posted about it here as a sanity check. I doubt I'd ever be able to afford more than a volunteering buddy. (But if it were my call, you can be sure I'd have called out on the issues I saw there and then.)

Thanks,
Dan

Get notified of new replies

To strange experiences with a hired pit crew...

Quick Reply: strange experiences with a hired pit crew...