Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride height with 4 - 18" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:47 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride height with 4 - 18" wheels

I've changed over from stock 17/18 C5Z wheels with Kumho's to 18 rears on all 4 and Hoosiers 315s. My ride height has changed. The front is higher than it was and I'm having trouble getting it low enough. I'm trying to get some rake in the frame. 3/4" has been often recommended here, in the past I've usually had 1/2" rake After much adjusting today the front ride height is 4 3/4 L. and 4 5/8 right, the rear is 5" L&R. The front clearance between the tire and the fender is 1 1/2 -1 3/4". Seems like that might rub. In the rear I can't get anymore height without spring compressors for the coil overs, I've lowered the spring perch as much as possible without compressing the spring. If I ever got 3/4" rake the rear would have about 4 inches between the tire and fender and the front 1 1/2. I'd would look like a 4 wheeler, but I don't car about looks, just seems rather odd. I'm assuming that this 3/4" rake target is measured at the frame and not the fender.

Any help?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Kumho 18" rear was a very tall tire (over 26"). The fronts and the hoosiers are around 25.6" tall. 3/4" of rake sounds like a lot, 1/4" to 1/2" should be fine.

You should only need more rake if you are having lots of understeer, especially in corner entry.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XPC5R
The Kumho 18" rear was a very tall tire (over 26"). The fronts and the hoosiers are around 25.6" tall. 3/4" of rake sounds like a lot, 1/4" to 1/2" should be fine.

You should only need more rake if you are having lots of understeer, especially in corner entry.
that helps alot.

How much clearance do I need between the tire and the fender in front?

Get notified of new replies

To ride height with 4 - 18" wheels

Quick Reply: ride height with 4 - 18" wheels