Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T1 Sway Bars on a C-5 ZO6 Street car....

Old 11-17-2007, 11:34 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default T1 Sway Bars on a C-5 ZO6 Street car....

I am interested in running my C-5 ZO6 on occasional open track days. Would the T1 sway bars be overkill and make the ride unbearable for regular street driving???

Feedback please....

Thanks! B-R
Old 11-17-2007, 11:44 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a t1 front and stock z06 on the rear. Pretty happy with it. I autoX it a bit. It not to bad on the street.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't mind it but then again I raced offshore boats. Try to get a ride in a car with them.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-20-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 AM
mcintex
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

No.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without wider R comp tires and a race alignment to add traction to the ground up front the T1s should make your car push like a pig. FWIW

Bigger is not always better. Your car is already set up to push with the stock setup from the factory. It's safer to drive with a push, BTW. So anything you do to stiffen the front of the car will likely result in more push and less grip unless you change some other things to get more grip, like tire compound, width, or alignment and back bar.

I'd suggest staying away from the T1s on a street car unless your going to get aggressive with the alignment too. Even then you may want to go with the Addco 32mm bar instead. IMHO. The T1s make it harder to rotate the car at slower speeds, FWIW.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:04 PM
earthman01
Instructor

All good advice. I have T1 bars on my C5Z but also '04 shocks and race alignment, and I run Hoosiers on track days (24 days this year). Of course the ride is rougher around town but its great on the track. Unless you are serious about trackin' don't go down that road, it's a long and expensive trip.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:04 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
I am interested in running my C-5 ZO6 on occasional open track days. Would the T1 sway bars be overkill and make the ride unbearable for regular street driving???

Feedback please....

Thanks! B-R
No, unless you have really crappy streets/roads. Also, like earthman01 said, do the '04 shocks or Bilsteins.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Without wider R comp tires and a race alignment to add traction to the ground up front the T1s should make your car push like a pig. FWIW
Not true at all. It is neutral. And it was worth about 1 second on a 1.6 mile track.

The downside isn't ride quality, its noise. The heim endlinks are noisy.

I'm taking mine off, I was trying to beat a local unofficial track record and did so. So now I want my SS PAX back.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

All great replies....Thanks!

What about the Pfadt bars? The ad in the GP section states that they are equivalent to T1 bars and are adjustable for street use as well...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you use the stock end links with the T1 bars? How much are you giving up with them. What about swapping them out?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:12 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

I didnt try so I dont know. I suspect not, I believe I have them adjusted longer than stock to avoid interference with the stock exhaust and control arms.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

T1 sway bars on my Z06 & Z16. Ride isn't bad with the OEM springs/shocks. The end links rattling at times on the street does get annoying at times.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:14 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running the T1 bars, Bilsteins and so on now, and I can't complain. It's a massive advantage at the track. However, if you are fond of hot rodding about town (not on track), this is not the setup. Without good sticky tires, the handling is very, erm, different.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
All great replies....Thanks!

What about the Pfadt bars? The ad in the GP section states that they are equivalent to T1 bars and are adjustable for street use as well...
Thanks for asking about our bars.

We have two different versions and they are quite different in stiffness. The chart below shows a comparison of our products to stock and T1 Sways:

The goal of this chart is to give you a feel for the stiffness of your current set up as well as other available options.

To specifically answer your question about using stiffer bars for street driving, I would say to some degree it comes down to personal taste. Most of the "feel" of the car on the street is driven by other components of your suspension like shock absorbers and tires. Sway bars don't have as much impact as shock absorbers on ride feel over rough roads, for example. In general the stiffer sway bars will reduce the roll of your car and improve the contact of your tires with the track.

In terms of our products, I would suggest the Competition bars for your car, especially if you intend to keep your other suspension stock. Bang for the buck, sways are a great first track improvement. Our Street Sway are a little softer, but I think you’ll be happier with stiffer bars every time you’re at the track.

Our Sway bars are Made in the USA. Our US-made, teflon lined sphericals work great and to date we have had no reports of noisy end links.

Let me know if you have any other questions or would like to talk about more details.

-Aaron

Last edited by Aaron Pfadt; 11-21-2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: photo gremlins
Old 11-21-2007, 07:55 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

T1 bars, 04 Z06 shocks and stock springs on mine. Other than clunking from the end links on some roads, I don't feel any difference. Maybe my butt isn't very sensitive.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:26 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
T1 bars, 04 Z06 shocks and stock springs on mine. Other than clunking from the end links on some roads, I don't feel any difference. Maybe my butt isn't very sensitive.
This is exactly my experience, and I think I'm sensitive to changes in a car.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 PM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I have the same setup as well, I do about a dozen track events a yr and still drive my car to the track and on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To T1 Sway Bars on a C-5 ZO6 Street car....

Old 11-29-2007, 12:28 AM
DanielZ06
Racer

Can the end links be changed/upgraded in order to eliminate the clunking?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't find it that bad on the street, pretty mild mannered actually, but clunky. Double check your alignment when your done with the suspension changes.
But this all subjective.
I was running it with a complete T1 package, but thats for another discussion.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:46 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DanielZ06
Can the end links be changed/upgraded in order to eliminate the clunking?
I use my Z06 as a daily driver and got tired of the "clunking". I went back to the OEM metal end links with no issues. When I was at the NCM Spring Mountain event, I observed that one of the Spring Mountain Z06's on the shop rack had the OEM end links with it's T sway bars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T1 Sway Bars on a C-5 ZO6 Street car....