Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z06 track brake ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 AM
aspenripper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6Z06 track brake ???

For HPDE track work using oem size wheels what real benefit does say a brembo front brake kit offer using the 355mm oem size front rotors vs oem caliper with a 2pc stoptech 355mm rotor which would be same size as the brembo with spindle ducts and proper track pads.

the brembo set up is say 3k +/- 250 $

stoptech rotors and spindle ducts 1k $

pads are a wash $ wise

pads for brembo or stoptech st60 caliper only 20-30 $ less vs same compound pad for oem z06 caliper.

this car may see 8 - 10 track weekends in 2008 and I am not and dont think I will ever be an Andretti

what is the flaw in the c6 z06 caliper other than the silly pad set up and stuck pins, its faster to take caliper off anyhow so this should end pin discussion. Are they weak ? overheat ? what is issue these are 6 piston calipers.

I ran midohio about a month ago and no issues just changed to ATE superblue granted new track guy and I am sure my brake abuse will increase, but looking for real input from track guys only not bench racers before I spend wifes money over the winter.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:45 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The problem with the stock calipers is that you have the padlets which are expensive to replace as well as being thin. The cost of consumables with the stock set-up is more expensive than an aftermarket kit like Brembo or StopTech. Actually I have looked into prices for the StopTech 4 piston caliper instead of the 6-piston caliper where repacement pads are around the $225 range. Whenever you look at a BBK look at the cost of consumables, how much do pads and rotor rings cost you, and how long do they last. The life /cost ratio is what you are trying to improve.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:58 AM
aspenripper
Advanced

the pads are very similiar in price if you shop around but if the stoptech or brembo are thicker they should run cooler and last longer good point
thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aspenripper
the pads are very similiar in price if you shop around but if the stoptech or brembo are thicker they should run cooler and last longer good point
thanks
The paddlet design seems to chew through pads along with swiss cheese rotor (holes). I can't tell you about Brembo/Stoptech other than what I heard, that they are great.

After a full year with the new Z, I can say the brakes work VERY well under the hardest conditions and even the rotors hold up pretty well considering they have drilled holes. I was not disapointed with performance alone.

I am sure the Brembo's/Stoptechs are even better than stock and will improve your confidence at the minimum, but it comes down to economics. If you plan to own your C6Z for several years, then the investment may be worthwhile. I ate through about 5 sets of brake pads this year, and did about 9 events (one day events). In my C5 with Wilwoods, I had the same brake pads for about 2 years and sold the car with the same street/race compounds I bought with the original aftermarket kit which still had 35% material left. Now at around $300-400 a pop for C6Z pads...do the math. I figure in less than 2 years you will break even, with the money you save NOT buying brake pads. I can't tell you how P*SSED I was, when I found out the paddlets on lasted 1-2 events. Just one of the few things that have annoyed me with a $65k car.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM
aspenripper
Advanced

well at the rate of 5 sets of paddlets in one season the full brake kit would be paid for vs just stop tech rotors/ducts in 1 season . Sounds like the real problem is the body of the oem caliper too thin wider body thicker pads problem solved as clamping force seems ok.

The stoptech rotor by the way is slotted only and may be the same rotor in the caliper/rotor kit if it is I may go that way. Rotors/ducts first if any issues than add calipers to kit
thanks for your input
Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

To the orginal poster. As always, it is difficult to identify those folks who mod their car for good reason. I have recently bought an '08 ZO6, and will start track stuff with it in the spring. My track use is about as yours. I have been on track in a couple of C6 Z's, and have discussed the brake issue with folks who have, and have not replaced them. IMO, the OE brakes work fine for my level of use and driving style. As you mentioned, the pads are too thin, and will require more freqent replacement, so be it. I don't consider that such a big deal, and not worth the expense of replacing the brake system. I anticipate that good track pads will last me two events (four days). They might last longer, as I am not hard on brakes, but, they are thin. I removed my pad retaining bolts and coated the threads with anti-seize compound. They come from the factory dry, and way too tight. After 700 miles, they have not moved, but easily break free for removal.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:33 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

8-10 track weekends??? that is a lot of tracking to most people. I ran about 28 days of tracking this year. And I have gone thru the whole thing with brakes (1) just racing pads, stock rotors? Pads don't last long. (2) 2 pcs slotted rotors, racing pads stock calipers. Great set up for 4 or 5 events a year. (3) Less expensive BBK calipers, race pads, 2 pcs slotted rotors. Poor choice, bad pads, high rotor wear and lots of maintainence. Plus no confidence in the brakes. The problem with 1 and 2 is that you go thru brake pads very quickly and when the pads get below 50% they heat up and go away very fast=No confidence again. You can not go fast if you can't rely on the brakes. My solution after much time and money. BREMBO monoblocks on front with FPC97 pads and stock calipers with DBA slotted rotors and Hawk DTC70s on the rear. This set up saves you the cost of the rear BBK and is awesome. I have run 13- 20minute sessons at Roebling and 9-0 30 minute sessons at VIR and the pads have less then 2mm wear they look like new. And the stopping is %#*&^% great. 160 to turn in in less than 300ft. my shoulders were black and blue from the harness after 3 days at Roebling. I have made a lot of mods for tracking and if I had it to do over again I would start with the Brakes NOT OTHER STUFF this is a saftey and a confidence issue. I'm sure there are other good BBKs but I must say that I would have never believed the car could stop this well. When it come to brakes, the old saying is true PAY ME KNOW OR PAY ME LATER. ShortThrow, told me to buy brakes first!!!! but I did not listen. If you really want to drive with confidence get good brakes!!!! Sorry this is so long, just my .04 JD Feel free to get in touch with me if I can help, I have lots of brake experience.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:15 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

The only problem with the OEM brakes is the this pad's. I've seen ZERO performance issues, but the pads are half the thickness of those used with other calipers, and simply wear out too quickly.

I've driven the Z06 at a dozen event with year, and the OEM brakes are fine. Just be prepared to change pads and rotors more often than you would with Stoptechs or Brembos.

***don't forget, the Z06 makes the power of a World Challenge car with an extra 6000lbs to carry around. If you overbrake (lots of people do), or don't maintain them, you can toast any brake setup on a car as heavy and fast as the Z06.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:32 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In the big brake package world pads and rotors last much longer then a street caliper that is raced. I have guys that only buy one set of pads for the year 9-10 days. Try that with a stock caliper, it's not going to happen.

Randy
Old 11-19-2007, 07:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you buy a big brake package and use it you can resell it when you get rid of the car. I am think you can get 60% or more back when you sell them. Add in the dollar savings in pads and it cost way less than you think. Then add the confidence factor and you have a deal.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[IMG]http://www.dougrippie.com/images/c50..._and_rotor.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.dougrippie.com/images/ap_..._kit_small.jpg[/IMG]

Many people on this forum and across the world have been abusing this setup for years. It's not super fancy, it is built using good parts and works very well. And your parking brake still works with the full kit(steel ring drum).

[IMG]http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/Brembofront.jpeg[/IMG]

This is a good option as well. Some people like nike shoes and others like new balance, both cost about the same and both do the job.

Also Wilwood has some very good options!

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 11-19-2007 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Pictures

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z06 track brake ???

Quick Reply: C6Z06 track brake ???