Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..Lotus..curious if anyone..???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:34 PM
stax68
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ..Lotus..curious if anyone..???

Maybe am crazy...but considering getting into a Lotus V8
twin turbo late 90's models. So Curious if anyone knows..owned..
or heard anything about these cars...ok..thanks..
Old 11-21-2007, 02:46 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i know about them is that they are really prone to breaking. they are also $$$ to fix.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

arn't they called "rolling chicane" ?

Just Kidding

Cool looking little cars, I am 6-2 with a size 9 shoe and I dont fit into one let alone work the peddles.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:52 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Just Kidding

Cool looking little cars, I am 6-2 with a size 9 shoe and I dont fit into one let alone work the peddles.
he's talkin about the esprit turbo. this guy right here:

not the elise.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:59 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424

not the elise.
I was always fond of that one. Nice cars but I'm sure it takes a small fortune to fix them. Other than that I think it's a sweet looking car.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

nice looking car.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:10 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

They made a homologation special of that car called "XR" something. It was just for the SCCA race series, and they only made a few, so IF you could buy one of those, it would be a good purchase IF you have the funds to maintain it and keep it (safely) running. They are fragile.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:40 PM
stax68
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... they are also $$$ to fix.
Yes..found this out...
$170 for an oil change.. wonder if could do it myself
$400 for timing belts.... done every 6,000 miles
although Lotus recommends only every 10-12K..was told 6k is better..

Talking to people seems like it will cost..knock on wood..about $2,000
a year to keep the thing going...my family drive Toyota Corollas so
they of course think it's like burning money in a fireplace...

Car is almost exact same price as a used Z51...except the Lotus is
10 years older and has 20,000 more miles..but yes the maintenance $.

Yes..the outside of car is nice...but never knew what people meant
when they complained on here about vette interiors...but when you
see the interior of these cars...then I knew....still the maintenance $.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

not the elise.
The inside of the Esprit is not much larger than the Elise. It is tight. If you are 6 foot and 225 lbs, you will probably not fit comfortably.

The cars are fun to drive.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an FYI....while that car is nice (as a collector or street driver), Lotus Exige S are faster in all aspects at 1/2 the price. The Exige S is the fastest street car Lotus has made. It doesn't have the HP figures, but it only weights about 1950lbs. They have new version with 240hp coming out and most Lotus guys are putting bigger pulley's a tunning the cars to 270hp+ without a hitch. They have bullet proof Toyota driveline, so realiability and cost of repair has gone way down to daily car prices. Matter of fact, stock Exige S has turned faster lap times that 400hp Z51 C6 by a few magazines.

The Elise is nice, but underpowered. While another 40-80hp doesn't sound like a lot, in a 1950lb car, it's like adding 100hp to a Corvette.

If you want a fast Lotus, the best ticket is to buy an Elise (lighter than Exige), but slap a modified Exige Supercharger (same motor) and easily get 270-300hp. While it doesn't sound like a lot of power, they are getting 12.2's in the 1/2 mile on street tires and have higher corner speeds than GT3's. The downside is tricky mid engine layout makes it more difficult to drive fast and the car is tight and makes a maita look like Cadillac.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stax68
Yes..found this out...

Stax:

Not sure who you are talking to but oil changes (synthetic only) are easy and the timing belt on a V8 needs to be done every 5 years or 30,000 miles. Tension check is recommeded every 10K-12K miles.

Your best bet is a 2000 or newer as it had the AP brakes. The Brembo's are fine on the 1997-1999 but AP are better. Interior on the 1998 and newer MUCH improved over 1997 but you give up some guages for idiot lights.

Keep the engine stock as the pistons are cast and can't take any added boost. Try turning up the boost and you will rebuild it. If the car still has the stock exhaust, drop the "boar anchor" exhast and have a shop weld up straight pipes behind the catalytic converter. You'll thank me.

I've owned five(5) Esprit including two V8. Feel free to call me at (314) 249-3770 if I can be of assistance.

Mark Pfeffer
Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Just an FYI....while that car is nice (as a collector or street driver), Lotus Exige S are faster in all aspects at 1/2 the price. The Exige S is the fastest street car Lotus has made. It doesn't have the HP figures, but it only weights about 1950lbs. They have new version with 240hp coming out and most Lotus guys are putting bigger pulley's a tunning the cars to 270hp+ without a hitch. They have bullet proof Toyota driveline, so realiability and cost of repair has gone way down to daily car prices. Matter of fact, stock Exige S has turned faster lap times that 400hp Z51 C6 by a few magazines.

The Elise is nice, but underpowered. While another 40-80hp doesn't sound like a lot, in a 1950lb car, it's like adding 100hp to a Corvette.

If you want a fast Lotus, the best ticket is to buy an Elise (lighter than Exige), but slap a modified Exige Supercharger (same motor) and easily get 270-300hp. While it doesn't sound like a lot of power, they are getting 12.2's in the 1/2 mile on street tires and have higher corner speeds than GT3's. The downside is tricky mid engine layout makes it more difficult to drive fast and the car is tight and makes a maita look like Cadillac.
I love the Exige S. You can even update a Elise by putting the Exige S engine in it.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Bman
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

I have a turbo charged Exige that puts out almost 300hp.. Its a rocket and an absolute blast for track or street. Sorry no info for ya on the esprit.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:16 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bman
I have a turbo charged Exige that puts out almost 300hp.. Its a rocket and an absolute blast for track or street. Sorry no info for ya on the esprit.
I assume being on the Corvette forum, you have a Corvette as well. If so, can you compare the two please? On paper and in magazines, the Exige S is very fast, but with 300hp, I am thinking this car is close to C6Z capabilities. I am leaning very heavily toward this route because of cost of the Z and cost of running and the drepreciating value of my car.

I figure I can pick up an Elise for 28-30k and put the Katana Supercharger or similar set up and keep my total cost around $35k and have tires and brakes last 3x as long.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I figure I can pick up an Elise for 28-30k and put the Katana Supercharger or similar set up and keep my total cost around $35k and have tires and brakes last 3x as long.
Be careful with the Katana supercharger. A guy at Hallett with us last month burned the electordes off all four spark plugs. The ECU had supposedly been re-mapped or there was some type of program adjuster. Didn't work. Seems it was running way too lean.

Feff
Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Just my opinion here. If I had the extra time and money (I don't, however. Everything is currently being spent on the Corvettes), I always wanted to pick up an early/mid eighties Esprit four banger and transplant a Buick turbo in it. Good looks, and some good horsepower in a reasonably priced engine. Oh, well....
Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the car looks great. Other than that, if it drives anything close to the Elise, it will be fun. I rented an Elise in San Diego earlier this year and my dad and I had a blast throwing it around the mountain roads. It was a tight fit, but once in the car, you quickly realize that Lotus knows what they are doing. I wouldn't say it's better than a Corvette; completely different though. Both have their own merits. The Elise had no creature comforts to speak of, but we didn't need any with the top off and the Toyota engine screaming.

Good luck with your choice.
Ken

Last edited by bb69; 11-21-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ..Lotus..curious if anyone..???

Old 11-22-2007, 09:12 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Just Kidding

Yup.

My brother ran a Lotus dealer in So cal. He is 5'10 and could barely get in the car.

I am 6'4". So one day he dares me to get in one, so I did.

It took a lot boy and a mechanic to pry me out.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
GMendoza
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stax68
Yes..found this out...

Talking to people seems like it will cost..knock on wood..about $2,000
a year to keep the thing going...my family drive Toyota Corollas so
they of course think it's like burning money in a fireplace...

Car is almost exact same price as a used Z51...except the Lotus is
10 years older and has 20,000 more miles..but yes the maintenance $.

I would RUN away from a V8 Esprit in that price range. I well sorted V8 will usually run at least $50k. Also just like like the early 4cyl car, the early V8 did have some issues while the last V8s are alot more reliable. Maint is not too bad if you know how to treat the car.

An Esprit can NOT be driven like a 'Vette. Due to a weak (but relatively light) gearbox, you can't dump the clutch, no powershifting, and no speedshifting (I learned the hard way :o ). Also, adding a little more boost is not the problem. The problem is when people add 12psi wastergates (generally 13-14psi of boost is the limit of safe, ECU can olny see 15psi boost anyways) thinking they are going to get 12psi of boost. That's not the case. 12psi wategates will give you close to 12psi of boost at redline due to the small turbos being maxed out but they will supply up to 20psi of boost through mid-range (well over the safe range for a non-intercooled car). I've personally seen this.

As for room, People close to 6' and over will have a hard time driving the car without driving shoes and seat modification. It's easier to get in & there's more shoulder room in the Esprit but the Elise/Exige has more leg & head room.

As for the Exige S, it may have a better 0-60 time or it MAY be quicker around a tight track but the tq & top end of the of the Esprit doesn't even compare. Not to mention the Esprit is a GT car while the Elise/Exige is a street legal track car.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

LOTUS??? Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious.

Quick Reply: ..Lotus..curious if anyone..???