Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Jim M
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Belt Tensioner

I was thinking about purchasing one of Katech's belt tensioners, just for added insurance against throwing the serpentine belt off. They claim that the belt is prone to come off the pulley during high performance driving (drags, HPDE). I've only done one HPDE, but plan to do 2 or 3 each year. Knock on wood, I didn't have any problems with the car (04 Z06). Are any of you guys running the Katech belt tensioner and do you recommend it for a stock engine? Appreciate any comments you might have.

Jim M
Old 11-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran about 10,000 miles of HPDE's on the stock tensioner and never had a problem with it. I did shred a belt once, but it had nothing to do with the tensioner.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

I was shredding/jumping ribs on my belt regularly also, Katech has great products, but I personally do not like fixed tensioners. I felt there was a good reason why they went away in the 80's on OEM cars. I decided to use our HD supercharger tensioner on my road course car and never had a problem since and no need to check belt tension or worry about it constantly having excessive tension on the accessories if installed too tight and so on.
The tensioner comes with a HD bracket, hardware and of course the HD spring tensioner. We have them on many road course cars now, along with SC cars of course, without a single glitch from anyone. If you are interested they are $279.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:40 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I don't think you will have a problem with a stock pulley setup. If you go to an underdriver pulley, then you absolutely need the Katech tensioner.

Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome piece, but the belt acceleration isn't really a problem if your OEM tensioner is still in good shape. What Doug says is a good point also, but other than breaking in a new belt, I rarely ever have to adjust my fixed-belt setups (which I do run due to my underdriver pulleys and 3-disc clutch setups)
Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M
I was thinking about purchasing one of Katech's belt tensioners, just for added insurance against throwing the serpentine belt off. They claim that the belt is prone to come off the pulley during high performance driving (drags, HPDE). I've only done one HPDE, but plan to do 2 or 3 each year. Knock on wood, I didn't have any problems with the car (04 Z06). Are any of you guys running the Katech belt tensioner and do you recommend it for a stock engine? Appreciate any comments you might have.

Jim M
Just keep your stock setup and bring a spare belt with you.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never had a belt jump in my C5Z or C6Z during several years of bouncing the engine against the rev limiter in autocross and track day events.

Check your belts every couple of months. If it starts to crack (tiny hairline cracks) it's time to replace it.

Save your money for something that makes the car go faster or stop better.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:21 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I needed to change the stock setup after the performance mods; my belt never came off but did start to creep and was very close to slipping completely off; I changed to the Katech and no worries now; unless you are experiencing a problem I would leave it alone;
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It seems to me that the only people that have problems with the belts jumping off are "throttle stabbers". If you straiten the car then "jump" onto the throttle the tensioner will bounce and the belt will jump off the pulley. If you haven't had a problem then I wouldn't worry about it, although carrying an extra belt to the track wouldn't be a bad idea. It's cheaper than the tensioner.
I have several customers running them and I check the tension before each track event. They are hard to check tension, but I have a digital torque wrench which does the job just fine.
I do like the idea of the HD blower tensioner, it seems to be the best of both worlds but pricey.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must be a "throttle stabber".....my belts have tried to fall off. They never have (except @Roebling during OLOA '06), but I have returned from a session with the serpentine belt half off the belt tensioner pulley. I attribute this to abrupt engine speed changes such as downshifting and above 7k rpm fast shifts.

GM themselves has a nifty little fix for this for all of you C5 (LS1 and LS6) folks....the LS2/LS7/LS3 serpentine belt tensioner pulley has raised pulley ends that retain the belt even in the severest of conditions. A deep groove pulley of sorts. Since I have started using it , I have never had a belt move or fling off. Even at engine speeds above 7500 rpm and no-mercy downshifts.

LS1/LS6 tensioners are more prone to this as the tensioner becomes worn/aged and there is a lot of play fore and aft in the tensioner.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:41 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Never had a problem but I like RR idea above.

Get notified of new replies

To Belt Tensioner

Quick Reply: Belt Tensioner