Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbotech AX6 for autox/DD

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbotech AX6 for autox/DD

Anyone running these pads? I am thinking about switching to them autox and daily driving. I am trying to figure out if I should just run them on the front and rear or just go with the AX6's front and bobcats in the rear. I run the car on street tires. (Kumho MX's)
Old 11-24-2007, 10:20 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Anyone running these pads? I am thinking about switching to them autox and daily driving. I am trying to figure out if I should just run them on the front and rear or just go with the AX6's front and bobcats in the rear. I run the car on street tires. (Kumho MX's)
I recently spoke with the guys at CarboTech about pad for the street and autocrossing (on street tires like you). Their recommendation was the AX6 if I could tolerate noisey brakes while on the street and the Bobcats if I couldn't. I didn't ask about mixing them front to rear. It sounded like either would be good for the street other than noise.

My recommendation is to call them and talk to them about it. They are really friendly people who are more than happy to help. They have a lot of experience with Corvettes and want to be sure you get the pads that will meet your needs. That is, based on my limited experience with them.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by MySR71
I recently spoke with the guys at CarboTech about pad for the street and autocrossing (on street tires like you). Their recommendation was the AX6 if I could tolerate noisey brakes while on the street and the Bobcats if I couldn't. I didn't ask about mixing them front to rear. It sounded like either would be good for the street other than noise.

My recommendation is to call them and talk to them about it. They are really friendly people who are more than happy to help. They have a lot of experience with Corvettes and want to be sure you get the pads that will meet your needs. That is, based on my limited experience with them.
Thanks for the info. I am currently running Hawk HPS's on the front and stock Z06 pads in the rear. I just need a touch better pad for autox. This setup works great on the street, but I need a little more for events. I will give them a shout next week sometime and see what they say.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:35 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Can't comment on the AX6 pads, but I have run everything from Carbotech XP9 to XP12 on my car. They all stop fine on the street when cold, don't put out a lot more dust than the stock pads and are mostly quiet on the street. Actually, sometimes they squeak or squeal, but I'm used to it and just don't care.

The only reason I take the XP12's off between events is to save money. The OEM pads still have a lot of life in them. I run a few Solo II events, but mostly track time.

I used to run Hawks, but the HP+ was not quite up to road coarse work. The Hawk Blue was fine on bigger tracks, but the dust and rotor wear was off the charts when the pads were cold. Clay bar was my friend.

The guys at Carbotech can give you a good recommendation.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:11 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

I ran the AX6 pads front and rear on my 2002 ASP car for about half this past season, and liked them quite a bit. They have very good bite when cold and are easy to modulate, seem to be very rotor-friendly and provide excellent pad life, and dust considerably less than the Hawk HP+ pads I've used for the previous five seasons. And the dust seems much less corrosive than the Hawk pads. I'll probably stay with them for next year.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by rhneff
I ran the AX6 pads front and rear on my 2002 ASP car for about half this past season, and liked them quite a bit. They have very good bite when cold and are easy to modulate, seem to be very rotor-friendly and provide excellent pad life, and dust considerably less than the Hawk HP+ pads I've used for the previous five seasons. And the dust seems much less corrosive than the Hawk pads. I'll probably stay with them for next year.
Good info. Do you think it worth the upgrade on the rear to go with the AX6's over the bobcats? If you had to put the HP+'s side by side with the AX6's in performance what would you choose?

I am trying to decide between those two pads so your input is/will be great.

ASP is what I am running. What car are you in and what are your mods?
Old 11-25-2007, 07:43 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Well mine is a C4 so I don't know if this helps.

I run the panthers for street duty, accidently left them on for an HPDE on Road Atlanta and they worked OK. Usually run XP10's on the front for HPDE and time trials. I'll know later this week how they held up from this past weekend.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:51 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
Good info. Do you think it worth the upgrade on the rear to go with the AX6's over the bobcats? If you had to put the HP+'s side by side with the AX6's in performance what would you choose?

I am trying to decide between those two pads so your input is/will be great.

ASP is what I am running. What car are you in and what are your mods?
Car is a 2002 Z06, with nearly every mod allowed in Street Prepared.

Between the HP+ and the AX6, I liked the AX6 better. More aggressive initial bite and better modulation, complemented by less dusting. Plus they seem to wear better/last longer and are more rotor friendly.

Have never run the Bobcats so I can't comment on those, but I prefer matched pads front/rear for auto-x.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

After talking to Matt at Carbotech long ago, I settled on the Panther XP pads for the front and rear (track day) and the Bobcat pads for the front (street). The reasoning was that the rears wouldn't wear much anyway, and even with the front Bobcats on the street, the Panther XPs in the rear were fine. I still have them new in the box as I haven't installed the new front rotors. This is all for my other car. Since buying the Corvette my other car gets very little mileage.
I'd give the guys at Carbotech a call and get their opinion on recommended pads for your particular needs. They are knowledgable and won't try to sell you something you don't need.

San
Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by rhneff
Car is a 2002 Z06, with nearly every mod allowed in Street Prepared.

Between the HP+ and the AX6, I liked the AX6 better. More aggressive initial bite and better modulation, complemented by less dusting. Plus they seem to wear better/last longer and are more rotor friendly.

Have never run the Bobcats so I can't comment on those, but I prefer matched pads front/rear for auto-x.
Very good info. Thank you sir. I will be ordering these in the next few weeks.

Eric

Get notified of new replies

To Carbotech AX6 for autox/DD

Quick Reply: Carbotech AX6 for autox/DD