Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to buy a new tow vehicle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:13 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need to buy a new tow vehicle...

My current tow vehicle (2005 Jeep Grand Cheerole 5.7 Hemi) is coming off lease in Jan, and need to look into alternatives. This will be the wife's primary car, not mine, but I will use it when I need to tow to the track.

There are lots of end of years deals right now with 0 interest and other discount incentives. I really like the way my Jeep tow's, even with the short wheel base it is great, TONS of power, pulls FAST with the trailer.

The trailer is light weight (C6Z06 = 3175lbs, open trailer = 1650lbs) for a total of 4825, plus maybe another 200lbs tops in incidentals. So my choices are many in this low of a weight range. Wife ONLY will drive SUV, no trucks. The top choices are:
  • Dodge Durango (5.7 Hemi) $38,000-$42000 with 8700lbs capacity (the best in class), but most expensive and worst mileage by FAR.
  • Chevy Trailer Blazer (5.3L or 6.2L) $34,000 with 6400lbs capacity (both engines have the same capacity...strange) more affordable, but much smaller and still bad gas mileage.
  • Ford Explorer (4.6 3V) $33000 with 7100lbs capacity (amazing for being the smallest engine). most affordable and I get a vendor discount on top and great gas mileage.

Here are the specs on the new 2008 4.6 3valve Explorer, which for the price and towing capacity seems like a no brainer.

EXPLORER
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight (Lbs.) –
Automatic Transmission
Axle GCWR 4x2 4x2 4x4 4x4 AWD(2) AWD(2)
Engine Ratio (Lbs.) Class II Class III/IV Class II Class III/IV Class II Class III/IV
4.0L SOHC 3.55 8,500 3,500 – 3,500 – 3,500 –
SEFI V6 3.73 10,000 – 5,395 – 5,225 – 5,000
4.6L SOHC 3.55 8,500 3,500 – 3,500 – 3,500 –
SEFI V8 12,000(1) – 7,310(1) – 7,130(1) – 7,130(1)
(1) Deduct 500 lbs. with Auxiliary Climate Control.
(2) Available on vehicles built on or after 12/3/07. Requires 20" tires and wheels.

Am I missing something? I have heard that explorer's were not that good in towing, but the rating off their website says otherwise? Maybe the new 3V motor is improved? Any thoughts on why I should NOT take the explorer? I would love the Dodge, but high price and bad gas mileage around town for just the wife doesn't make sense.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I would go for the Explorer 4.6 L with 3.55 gears.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The chart is a little twisted so it is hard to make out which number goes with what. However, you should only use the Gross Combined Weight Rating and not the trailer weight number as your guide in determining what size vehicle you should get.

If you go for a Chevy then I recommend you go with a Tahoe and the 5.3 engine with 3:73 gears. The trailblazer is an old platform while the Tahoe is a new platform. Also unless you are getting a Trailblazer SS you are going to end up with the extended version of the Trailblazer which looks very awkward and is as big as a Tahoe without the capacity of the Tahoe. I suspect the towing capacity of the trailblzer is more a function of the chassis than the engine. It was originally designed for the smaller engine.

I currently tow with an 03 Tahoe AWD and while the trailer weight I can pull is listed as 7400 lbs the GCWR for the vehicle is 12,800 lbs. The Tahoe is 5470 lbs with me driving while the trailer/car/spare tires is 5500. When I throw in an extra person in the truck, spares and tools, etc I am about 800 lbs less than the GCWR for the Tahoe.

If you don't need the full boat Tahoe towing capability you could go for the Tahoe Hybrid which has a 6400 lb trailer rating and save some gas money when your wife is driving around town.

You also should verify if your tongue weight will cause you to exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight of your tow vehicle. Based on your post the tongue weight is going to be between 480 to 720 lbs.

Bill
Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they probably just gear down the smaller motors to maintain the towing capacity. You may be dissappointed in a 4.6 vs your present engine 5.7 What is the track of each vehicle? Leafs or coils in rear?

Last edited by John Shiels; 11-28-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry

But I think they are all under rated

Go with a 1500 pickup truck min. or the Chevy Tahoe with the bigger engine for an open bed trailer

The Dodge may have enough, but I am not found of Dodge transmissions ro diffs for towing One of my companies and a friends company who has lots of new trucks just dose not like Dodge for maintenance. Loves the Dodge Cummings Diesels but not the transmissions

The Trail blazer and Explore are just enough. Better to have more tow capacity then you need

Last edited by AU N EGL; 11-28-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:56 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Has your wife looked at or driven some the new pickups? The interiors are almost the same as SUV's, you can get all sort of creature comforts, and even Chevy has a new 4 1/2' pickup box in their extra cab trucks making them no longer than a Tahoe.

My 99 Silverado Z71 extended cab is rated to tow 7800 lbs with the 4.10 gears. The 270HP 5.3L gas motor easily tows my 3400 lb 87 coupe loaded on a 2000 lb steel trailer and it has no problem with hills.

The total gross vehicle weight is the important thing to look at. One thing that has to be added to the gross vehicle weight is all of the cargo and pasengers that go along on track day. Add the weight of a buddy, your wife, the kids, dog, assorted tools, extra tires and maybe even overnight luggage and the cargo weight can quickly approach many hundreds of pounds Then add the tongue weight to that and it's easy to hit the maximum cargo weight.

IMHO, pickups are much better for towing your race car than most medium-sized SUV's. Tahoe's, Expedition's are good full-size SUV's as they are built on pickup truck chassis. The typically larger V8 motor will have more torque, you get stiffer springs and shocks and possibly larger brakes. Tires will be larger and LT-type truck tires will allow for safely carrying heavier weight. The longer wheelbase will help with handling and can also reduce sway especially when you get passed by big rigs.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Has your wife looked at or driven some the new pickups? The interiors are almost the same as SUV's, you can get all sort of creature comforts, and even Chevy has a new 4 1/2' pickup box in their extra cab trucks making them no longer than a Tahoe.

My 99 Silverado Z71 extended cab is rated to tow 7800 lbs with the 4.10 gears. The 270HP 5.3L gas motor easily tows my 3400 lb 87 coupe loaded on a 2000 lb steel trailer and it has no problem with hills.

The total gross vehicle weight is the important thing to look at. One thing that has to be added to the gross vehicle weight is all of the cargo and pasengers that go along on track day. Add the weight of a buddy, your wife, the kids, dog, assorted tools, extra tires and maybe even overnight luggage and the cargo weight can quickly approach many hundreds of pounds Then add the tongue weight to that and it's easy to hit the maximum cargo weight.

IMHO, pickups are much better for towing your race car than most medium-sized SUV's. Tahoe's, Expedition's are good full-size SUV's as they are built on pickup truck chassis. The typically larger V8 motor will have more torque, you get stiffer springs and shocks and possibly larger brakes. Tires will be larger and LT-type truck tires will allow for safely carrying heavier weight. The longer wheelbase will help with handling and can also reduce sway especially when you get passed by big rigs.
and if the wife doen't drive a lot the mileage is not much of a savings. Even when you tow with small motors they will be wound up and eating gas.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

My initial preference was the Durango because I used the Jeep with the same motor and even shorter wheelbase, and I was more than happy. I was very concerned about the wheelbase/chassis of the Jeep, but found with the Z and an open trailer it was a piece of cake. I could do 80mph even around gradual highway turns without glitch. If I were pulling closed trailer or heavier, I can see the need for bigger chassis, but I figure if a short chassis such as Grand Cheeroke could do the job, the Durango/Explorer/Trailblazer could only be as good or better. I personally would buy a nice F-150 pickup, but the wife will NEVER touch it under any circumstance no matter how nice the interior is...(just can't go there)

BTW the GVWR for the Explorer with the 4.6 is actually 12,000lbs (very suprised). A lot of it depends on what dealer is willing to give what kind of deal. I looked at the Tahoe, but they are mid 40's with the kind of equipment my wife is looking for (basically loaded, NAV, DVD for kids, sunroof). Like I said the Tahoe is a great option, but you'd have to get a base model to make mid $30's, and wife ain't takin no base model, and I ain't paying no $42k, so that's out.

I think the 4.6 in the real world isn't going to be that great, even thought it has a very good towing capacity, but the mileage for 90% of it's use is much better than all the others (daily street). This decision is about compromise unfortunately.

So, I can rule Tahoe out based on price, and I was never fond of Trailblazer and why bother if the Explorer is cheaper and has better tow rating. It might be between the Durango and Explorer, but if I can get an Eddie Bauer Explorer for $31k vs the Durango at $40k, that is too much additional $$$$ for only another 1600lbs of towing capacity. But I will throw it at the dealers, make them compete and see what can be done. The 5.7 Hemi is such a great motor!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 PM
02impactblue
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just get another jeep? Just a thought
Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

If you can buy a new Explorer Eddie Bauer loaded with NAV and DVD for $31k that is your answer.

I think the answer lies who is going to use it more and how much towing you're going to do. Like many things in life it is a compromise, who you're going to make happier, the wife or you. You realize if the wife is not happy, you're not happy.

All your options will work for "limited" towing. For more than casual towing I would buy larger (Tahoe,
Expedition).

If you happy with the Jeep, buy another.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Sorry

But I think they are all under rated

Go with a 1500 pickup truck min. or the Chevy Tahoe with the bigger engine for an open bed trailer

The Dodge may have enough, but I am not found of Dodge transmissions ro diffs for towing One of my companies and a friends company who has lots of new trucks just dose not like Dodge for maintenance. Loves the Dodge Cummings Diesels but not the transmissions

The Trail blazer and Explore are just enough. Better to have more tow capacity then you need

What if... What if you decide to buy a new car trailer, say one that's enclosed?

What if you decide you have to have that race car that needs that enclosed trailer because it doesn't have windows?

What if the tranny on your new V6 "tow" vehicle pukes, leaving you on the side of the road???

I'm amazed at what I see people "towing" with...

Check the tires on whatever you buy and make sure they're TOW rated and not passenger tires!

Did I mention I'm amazed at what I see people "towing" with...
Mike
Old 11-28-2007, 09:17 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Alternate Idea ----- If you like what you have -- purchase it from the leasing company when the lease expires and keep it. Buy the wife a nice crossover SUV for her use that gets good everyday mileage -- everybody wins and you probably come out better $ wise.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:10 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

They got rid of the good SUV's and neutered them...

That said, get a 3/4 ton 'Burban, it'll do everything plus the cooking. Your limited to the small 6.0, but it'll get the job done 98% of the time.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

We tow a 94 on a steel open trailer with a tire rack and two trailer boxes. It's got a weight distribution hitch and the tongue weight has been set properly with a scale while fully loaded.

Just my two cents but late in 06 we went from an 06 Explorer to an 07 Expedition. Noticeable improvement getting up to speed on the interstate and on highway overpasses. The Explorer had a very unnerving tendency to get a little "light" with any decent cross wind or on wet surfaces.

Then we trailered from Florida to Indiana three times with assorted runs to TN, SC, NC, GA, etc in a 4 month period. The Expedition started to feel like it was tired after about 4 hours. After about 8 it obviously wasn't happy. And it really struggled in the mountains or on any serious grade.

Two months ago we upgraded again to a 08 F-250 SD crew cab with the turbo diesel. With 650 ft lbs of torque you forget the trailer is back there. Just point and go. The fuel mileage benefit with the diesel is HUGE when towing and we get the same as the Expedition during daily driving.

IMHO, the large SUV's are fine for local towing but if you're planning on doing any towing longer than a few hours a big pick up is the better option.

No, I'm not trying to sound like a Ford commercial. That's the brand the company buys as fleet vehicles so I get a great deal on them. We did look at the Chevy pickups anyway but the we didn't like the interiors.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

There's tow'in something and just draggin something. Smaller vehicles, short wheelbase and no power may get you there but it is rough going. You don't know how rough until you try something up to the task of towing. When you get in trouble you will really know the difference in vehicles.

I tow with the Excursion (Bilsteins & heavy anti-sway bars) which isn't bad and has more power than the older Dodge dooley. When I tow with the Dodge dooley it is like there is nothing there even though it is a bit slower. Dooley feels like it would take a corner fast and blow the trailer and car off with no feeling.

The difference between an Explorer 4.6 and Suburban with a 6.0 would be huge. Personally I would rather get a bigger vehicle off lease if I had to save money. 80 MPH in a Jeep would not be for me 55-60 tops.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 PM
wingman4rent
Instructor

I dont know if you want a nice suv first and a tow vehicle second, but for that kind of money (mid 30s) you should be able to buy a real nice 3/4 ton 4X4 diesel. I find the best places to find real prices are ebay and edmunds.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:58 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

It's funny about your wife's preferences and where she draws the line at not driving a "truck". Mine is the same way.. I had a similar decision with my '05 Durango w/ HEMI. I kept it and extended the Chrysler "MAXCARE" 7/70 warranty for another $1500. Was the cheapest option. The Durango may list high but '07 vehicles can be had $12K-$14K below MSRP was what I found.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to buy a new tow vehicle...

Old 11-29-2007, 09:14 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Yeah, it's the wife's primary car first, then a tow vehicle. I have a Nissan Altima that is on lease that I use every day and that's got another 2 years. As much as I wouldn't mind driving a pick up, I drive TOO much to deal with the gas mileage. I am up and down NJ turnpike several times, and it would not be smart for me to drive any kind of truck. The wife on the other hand is stay at home an puts less than 6000k a year on the car, so buying her a gas guzzler is not such an issue.

Like I said, if it were my car, I would have F-250 or somthing along those lines, but it ain't gonna happen. I would buy the Jeep, but I have no confidence in Chysler products beyond 40k miles. I would only lease the Durango, never own it. That is good to know you can buy them at 10-12k off! If I can walk away with a Hemi Durango for low $30's, I would be more than happy, then my last resort is the Ford.

But I am still amazed that the Explorer with the 4.6 V8 has a 7100lbs towing capacity.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Yeah, it's the wife's primary car first, then a tow vehicle. I have a Nissan Altima that is on lease that I use every day and that's got another 2 years. As much as I wouldn't mind driving a pick up, I drive TOO much to deal with the gas mileage. I am up and down NJ turnpike several times, and it would not be smart for me to drive any kind of truck. The wife on the other hand is stay at home an puts less than 6000k a year on the car, so buying her a gas guzzler is not such an issue.

Like I said, if it were my car, I would have F-250 or somthing along those lines, but it ain't gonna happen. I would buy the Jeep, but I have no confidence in Chysler products beyond 40k miles. I would only lease the Durango, never own it. That is good to know you can buy them at 10-12k off! If I can walk away with a Hemi Durango for low $30's, I would be more than happy, then my last resort is the Ford.

But I am still amazed that the Explorer with the 4.6 V8 has a 7100lbs towing capacity.
Have you looked at the Diesel Jeep Cherokee Limiteds? Their web site says towing capacity is 7400 lbs and I'm quite certain it get's better milage than the Durango...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:39 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to open up the choices a little. I tow my C5Z with a Honda Ridgeline. It seats 5 people very well it has a great ride, my wife has compared it to BMW X5. It tows very well at 70mph. I just set the cruise control and go. I know that most of you think that you have to have a V8 to tow but Honda did this truck right. And the storage that it has it outstanding. It is rate for 5,000 pounds of towing while carrying 1500 pounds of payload in the truck. So my wife and I can carry all our track stuff and lugage. It is also 4 wheel drive and you can laid 4 foot wide sheet goods flat in the bed. When not towing it gets about 18 mpg around town and 23 on the Highway. So before you go and buy one of the ones you listed go test drive a Honda and take your wife with you. She will enjoy driving it also.

Quick Reply: Need to buy a new tow vehicle...