Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porsch brake question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 PM
obelix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porsch brake question

Howdy guys,

Question for you guys....

I could get some cheap 993 Porsch caliper....4 piston once
So my question now,

> I would search for information about convert a C4 with Porsch brake system ?

> somebody knows what the thickness of the org. corvette discs are ?

> what do you think about using the porsch calipers with good aftermarked corvette dics and home made adapters

looking forward to your commends
Old 11-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dimensions of the fixed four piston Porsche(are these made by Brembo?) caliper are going to dictate the diameter and thickness of the rotor. It sounds like an engineering exercise. Using the Porsche caliper and rotor would be easier, but everthing is relative. These are excellent calipers, somebody must have tried this before.

Last edited by Sidney004; 11-29-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 AM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

sounds like a question better posed on frrax. My roommate (and others) have adapted porsche brakes to fbods for track. Just took a fabbed bracket to adapt them. I think welding his caliper piston to the rotor convinced him to upgrade. He keeps it in the garage as a memento.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Back in 99 there was at least one forum member who converted Porsche calipers and rotors to fit on his C5. I haven't heard much about people doing that lately.

I found this thread from 2001.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=Porsche+Brake

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-29-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be worried that using a caliper or brake system developed for a car with completely different suspension and driving dynamics would have a detrimental effect on braking.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year car. I run 4 piston brembos front and rear on my ZR-1.

Rear kit

Front

Old 11-30-2007, 10:02 PM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

obelix,

This company use to offer adapters to mount Porsche 993 calipers and rotors to C4 Corvettes, Electro-Dynamics, http://www.electro-dynamics.com. Not sure of they still do, I do not see the parts listed on their website any longer. But maybe a call and they still can make the parts. At least they had it figured out at one time. It was a couple of years ago I found this information when I was looking to upgrade the front brakes on my 1985 C4. I ended up going to Precision Brakes who is now Revolution Brake and got some Wilwoods. Anyway might be worth talking to them.

Brian
Old 11-30-2007, 11:36 PM
obelix
Intermediate

Thamks guys,

for your answers....

its a C4 MY 1988....with Z51 packadge but with standard front disc diameter....if I recall that right 11inch front and rear...

thats also around the size what the 993 system is using...so I was thinking I will use aftermarked corvette discs, much cheaper than the porsch once (spec. know with the current exchange rate)...

So next question for you guys...what do you think...what discs should I use or get....

some info about the thickness about the org. once...I am traveling currently so I am not able to measure mine.....while I am hear in the states I could order them and take them with me.....safe the shipping back home...and spec. mine are totaly worn out....
So I think the diameter of the discs will be fine....they should fit under the rims, when I look at the picture from the ZR1 rim....but the thickness gives me still a little bit headage ...what disc diameter and brand you have been using for your conversion...

I would like to have slotted and drilled ( I know..but the look cool) and would be cool if they are lighter than stock....does the Zr1 have 11 or 12inch once....
What did you do master cylinder vise...

looking forward to your comment...

thanks for the link, I will check it out

Austrian corvette budy

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
What year car. I run 4 piston brembos front and rear on my ZR-1.

Rear kit

Front

Old 12-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are pics of my 996 TT (Brembo monobloc) calipers modified by Mov'it with better pistons and to accept a larger rotor. They make custom brackets to fit the C5. Love it so far. Rotors are 370mm/342mm.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 12-02-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The calipers are made by Brembo for Porsche.

Another member stated they wouldn't use them as they weren't designed with the Corvette suspension in mind... This isn't an assumption I'd spread. The idea is not to size a caliper or rotor to a suspension, but to apply the caliper/rotor to each other, and then to a given activity/weight of the vehicle.

There's no reason not to use that caliper with the right rotor, but I'd make sure to get the right hardware/mount for it from a company that's been around for a while, and parts that have been proven to be up to task!

Mike
Old 12-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

on a c4

Get notified of new replies

To porsch brake question

Quick Reply: porsch brake question