Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do track pads have to be bedded everytime?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Do track pads have to be bedded everytime?

I put my rear track pads on for Road Atlanta Sunday. It seems pretty straight forward, as I used them last month at VIR. I just didn't bed them this time. When I drove to work this morning, they make an awful scraping sound, dull rubbing, not screechy, when I hit the brakes. Should they be bedded like new pads? I run creamics for the street and I didn't change the rotors. They are Carbotech XP10s. I checked them when I got to work and they look fine. Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2007, 10:27 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the reasons you bed your pads is to transfer pad material to the rotor. When you put your ceramic pads on they would remove the material form your Carbotech pads. I think that driving around with the Carbotech pads on would resurface you rotors with just a little hard braking.

I like many others have at least two set of rotors one for track one for street.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:19 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

The bed procedure is for my new pads or new rotors only. I use same rotor for street and track. My PF01s abrasiveness cleans the rotor of any street pad material for track use.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Some pads are machine bedded and do not require street bedding.

the PF01's I've used in the past are machine bedded and say "Race Ready" on the box label.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:49 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I only change the rotors on the fronts. I didn't think it was a big deal for the rears. So what would be causing the rubbing noise? I just checked them at lunch, the pads aren't on backwards, the chatter clips are all there. Seems like when I put the left rear caliper over the pads, it kept wanting to push itself back off, but I did get it on. I may take it off again tonite and make sure I didn't mess something up.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

you have to bed pads anytime you mate them to different rotors. It's the small grooves that give you the extra surface area that makes the pads really bite, and bedding allows the pads and rotors to mate shapes.

It only takes a couple of hard stops to bed pads in (then let them cool), and the it's worth the effort. If you don't do it, theres always a chance your brake performance will be off for your first session at the track.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:54 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swap pads and rotors when I go to the track. I have a set of street rotors that are cross drilled and slotted for looks with ceramic pads. When I go to the track, I swap them for OE rotors and Carbotech pads that I have specifically for the track. The only time I bed the pads is when I replace the rotors.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:01 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I will bed them tonite when I do the fronts. I thought I wouldn't need to bed the fronts seeing I use those rotors just for the track pads. Seems like good insurance though.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some pads are machine bedded and do not require street bedding.
the PF01's I've used in the past are machine bedded and say "Race Ready" on the box label.
Are there any other machine bedded pads available? Hawk, Carbotech, Polymatrix?

Get notified of new replies

To Do track pads have to be bedded everytime?

Quick Reply: Do track pads have to be bedded everytime?