Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set up advise for my 02 z06 - Summit Point

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:36 AM
MBMvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set up advise for my 02 z06 - Summit Point

I'm new here and hoping for some advise. I have an 02 zo6 and I live about an hour away from Summit Point. I think I'm setting up this car for track days and occassional hot laps around my neighboorhood (nice smooth roads). I'm thinking this winter I will install T1 sways bars, Pfadt poly bushings and coilovers, 17x10f and 17x11r with Nittos, DRM brake ducts and maybe better pads, Kirbin shifter and an agressive alighment. In my estimation this should be a pretty sound track car and a blast around the neighboorhood. Any thoughts????
Old 11-30-2007, 12:47 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just as background, have you been on track before? what group do you run in? solo?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:45 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
just as background, have you been on track before? what group do you run in? solo?
I was thinking the same thing, I will hold my answers
Old 11-30-2007, 08:31 AM
MBMvette
Instructor

Thanks.... late last night writing that post...man my spelling is terrible. In any case, greeen man, but not without ample natural ability. My racing experience at this point is limited to motocross and harescrambles. I know how to run fast, consistant and safe. I just need to transfer my ability and strengths to behind a wheel... I have no clue what class at summit point, I would appreciate some direction on that. I joined the SCCA and will get involved this coming year in the driving school and summit and then a second alternative school at summit point? after that I have no idea. I am sure I want to road race. I was originally considering setting up the car for T1 but that seems a little out there for my novice self.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MBMvette
Thanks.... late last night writing that post...man my spelling is terrible. In any case, greeen man, but not without ample natural ability. My racing experience at this point is limited to motocross and harescrambles. I know how to run fast, consistant and safe. I just need to transfer my ability and strengths to behind a wheel... I have no clue what class at summit point, I would appreciate some direction on that. I joined the SCCA and will get involved this coming year in the driving school and summit and then a second alternative school at summit point? after that I have no idea. I am sure I want to road race. I was originally considering setting up the car for T1 but that seems a little out there for my novice self.
dont mess with your car until you move up in the ranks of HPDE. All you should do is brake fluid/pads. Run on street tires for a little bit, itll be good for you.

Save the rest of the stuff for next season.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:18 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dont mess with your car until you move up in the ranks of HPDE. All you should do is brake fluid/pads. Run on street tires for a little bit, itll be good for you.

Save the rest of the stuff for next season.
Agreed. You should also get an alignment to save your tires--they will wear bad on the outside edge without more negative camber then stock (ask me how I know )

You can easily do Friday at the Track w/ BSR at Summit and NASA has 2 day events.

The car is very, very good just as it is so don't mess with it other than the above.

Start watching some videos to familiarize yourself with the tracks (there are 3) at Summit. I really like the Main--recommend sticking with that one.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Agreed. You should also get an alignment to save your tires--they will wear bad on the outside edge without more negative camber then stock (ask me how I know )
good call, forgot about hte alignment
Old 11-30-2007, 04:40 PM
MBMvette
Instructor

I appreciate everyones thoughts.....I was just checking out the site for NASA....thank you for that. I have not found anything on BSR? I am totally hearing what everyone's saying on the mods. It was my thought that I would tighten up the car a bit and run street tires for a while. I don't know how long its been since you guys have been in a bone stock c5 Z06 but the suspension set up is weak. Nice video Wally.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 PM
MBMvette
Instructor

Just curious.....what spring/shock/swaybar setup are you guys using?????
Old 11-30-2007, 06:17 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You may want a harness bar and harnesses before you do too much to the car. It should do pretty well; you may be surprised at how well it handles Summit Point. BSR can get you on the track on some Fridays (FATT) but you will want to check out the NASA events as well as Mazda club, Trackdaze, Car Guys, etc, to maximize your proximity to the track. SCCA will require a roll cage and all the safety eqiupment before you can enter the school. You can probably do time trials w/ the SCCA, but they aren't included in the majority of SCCA events at SP.
We'll look for you at the track.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:19 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I appreciate everyones thoughts.....I was just checking out the site for NASA....thank you for that. I have not found anything on BSR? I am totally hearing what everyone's saying on the mods. It was my thought that I would tighten up the car a bit and run street tires for a while. I don't know how long its been since you guys have been in a bone stock c5 Z06 but the suspension set up is weak. Nice video Wally.
Mine is stock other than headers and a shifter. I had OE tires on front and 2 year old 275-40-17 Nitto-RII on back. The car was good enough that I passed pretty much everything in my run group the last couple of times out, except the Viper and another C5Z. That includes BMW Z4's, modded Subbie STI's, a Mustang GT500, a C6Z06, a 2000 Corvette hardtop, etc. I did this with stock brake pads.

Your car is very strong.

Last edited by sothpaw2; 11-30-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 PM
KBRVETTE93
Pro

I'm new here and hoping for some advise. I have an 02 zo6 and I live about an hour away from Summit Point. I think I'm setting up this car for track days and occassional hot laps around my neighboorhood (nice smooth roads). I'm thinking this winter I will install T1 sways bars, Pfadt poly bushings and coilovers, 17x10f and 17x11r with Nittos, DRM brake ducts and maybe better pads, Kirbin shifter and an agressive alighment. In my estimation this should be a pretty sound track car and a blast around the neighboorhood. Any thoughts????
I've got the Nittos you may be looking for. Brand new (used once perfect shape) 315-30-18 Nitto NT-01 "R" compound 6/32" will wear to racing slick. Asking 275.00 and will pay .333 shipping.

Mark
Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

The nice thing about starting with a stock car is that when you do tighten it up, you'll know EXACTLY what to do with it. Starting with a softer sprung setup and moving to a stiffer car is definitely the way to learn control. I learned more on track in a 150hp station wagon than I care to admit.

Just curious.....what spring/shock/swaybar setup are you guys using?????
I'm on T1 shocks, springs and swaybars. Its a really nicely balanced setup, made for the car by GM. No tinkering required.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:18 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

suspension is not that weak

drive an F body..thats weak!

keep the Z06 stock, install a set of Koni FSD shocks on it and a set of khumo v710 tires and you will beat everyone except the old pros. and the car will be safer!

and if you are as talented as you say you are, you will be right on the old pros butt's!

By the way......... the Z06 suspension rocks!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I was just checking out the site for NASA....thank you for that. I have not found anything on BSR?
Here's the link to the Summit Point Raceway BSR folks for FATT events, etc. http://www.bsr-inc.com/ As others have mentioned - there are several club events HPDEs you can sign up for at SP, e.g., www.mazdadrivers.com www.trackdaze.com http://www.nasaracing.net/ - Have FUN!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:32 PM
MBMvette
Instructor

Wally......your making alot of sense to me my freind. I'm watching your videos and quickly relizing that your path needs to be my path.. I'm clearly getting way ahead of myself but I am becoming more clear on how I want to proceed and what I want to do with my new hobby. I think I will take everyones suggestions on minimal mods for now..although I may put on the T1 sway bars, alignment, brake fuild and pads and go have some fun. I am definitly gonna get involved with the NASA program as well. What more can I say...I'm excited to go tear it up behind the wheel. At 40 my body has taken enough beatings on dirtbikes and I am ready for a more civilized way to fill the need. I can use some more advice as I get more involved regarding the other mods..such as a cage or a bar??? and any other tid bits of information on set up. I'm also thinking that the street days for the car will probably be gone and a trailer will be in my near future.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:39 PM
MBMvette
Instructor

thanks to everyone for all the information...

Get notified of new replies

To Set up advise for my 02 z06 - Summit Point

Old 12-01-2007, 02:03 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Wally......your making alot of sense to me my freind. I'm watching your videos and quickly relizing that your path needs to be my path.. I'm clearly getting way ahead of myself but I am becoming more clear on how I want to proceed and what I want to do with my new hobby. I think I will take everyones suggestions on minimal mods for now..although I may put on the T1 sway bars, alignment, brake fuild and pads and go have some fun. I am definitly gonna get involved with the NASA program as well. What more can I say...I'm excited to go tear it up behind the wheel. At 40 my body has taken enough beatings on dirtbikes and I am ready for a more civilized way to fill the need. I can use some more advice as I get more involved regarding the other mods..such as a cage or a bar??? and any other tid bits of information on set up. I'm also thinking that the street days for the car will probably be gone and a trailer will be in my near future.
heres what you wanna do. keep your car as stock as possible, get real comfortable in it, then sell it and buy a used T1 car. I expect to see you in ST2 with us in 2009.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:02 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I'm in Frederick ... PM me if you wish.
I have done a few things in the interest of cooling and braking improvements; otherwise basically stock with '04 shocks and a little more aggressive alignment.
I've only been out about 20 track days (about half at Summit) in the last 4 years ... and I'm too old to get beyond TT if that far ...
BSR FATT on Summit Main is a good way to get familiar with your car on the track.
Look forward to seeing you at the track(s)!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

These guys are making a lot of sense. I'd spend the money you're planning to spend on upgrades on a good helmet, harness bar, harnesses and better seats. Then go spend as much time as you can at Summit Point. I've done motorcycles on track, Motocross racing/dirt riding, mountainbike racing all my life, and I understand where you're coming from... Trust me, it won't cross over as much as you hope... It'll help, but you've got a lot to learn, and more than enough car in stock trim.

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/
http://www.bsr-inc.com/

And check out my online vids on youtube under Mikelly996TT

Mike

Quick Reply: Set up advise for my 02 z06 - Summit Point