Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:01 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPDE Insurance?

I've searched and searched on this topic and it appears that the best advice is don't bring anything to the track that you aren't willing to walk away from. All of the supplemental insurance carriers don't appear to be renewing and my Geico policy is vague at best.

How many of you guys follow that philosophy? I'm trying to decide how upset i'd really be if my C6 went to the junkyard after a track day and if i'm not perhaps better off buying a cheaper track day car such as a C4 or an early year higher mileage C5 ( is the C5 that much superior to the C4 for the $$ difference? ).

I'd just be running perhaps 10 track days a year and although it seems pretty unlikely that any damage would occur to the C6 it's appears to be somewhat of a risk. Running in beginner group would you bother buying a cheaper track car or wait for that until you moved up a bit in the hpde levels?

Thanks again for any advice.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:32 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My opinion is that if you are asking, you should not take the car to the track. Accidents happen at the oddest times and for the strangest reasons. I read about someone (I think on this forum) that smacked the wall going down a straight when his ABS/stability control decided to kick in on its own. Ten track days is a lot of time for something to happen. Don't underestimate how easily you could be dragging your car home on a flatbed.

Ken
Old 11-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

There is one company who has a policy specific to HPDEs.

They are WSIB Insurance Agency, LLC
If I remember right the policy costs about 4% of the value of the car less the $2,500 deductible.

This isn't a recommendation, just information.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bb69
I read about someone (I think on this forum) that smacked the wall going down a straight when his ABS/stability control decided to kick in on its own. Ten track days is a lot of time for something to happen.

Ken
That's a good reason not to use your AH on track--turn it off. Although I looked into that and I think it was related to a bad sensor that only some 2003's had.

10 track days is a lot. Remember the law of averages.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 PM
aspenripper
Advanced

Default I have hpde coverage

I have HPDE insurance thru WSIB underwritten Lloyds of London 67k of coverage for 2050$ for 12 months, hope I never need it. They insure many pro teams and Midohio Track. I have all info.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:57 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

QUOTE: is the C5 that much superior to the C4 for the $$ difference?

i drive a C5 and i beat ALL the C4's no comparison between the two cars unless you get a ZR1 but they cost more than a C5
Old 12-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Most insurance companies ask the following questions to determine if you're covered under your current policy: (1) Does what you're doing on the track lead to a Race license? - NO; (2) Are you participating in a timed event? - NO; (3) Are you participating in a sanctioned race event? - NO; (4) Are instructors provided in the car and/or on the track with you? - YES.

Policies change slightly year-to-year, so its always good to read your policy or call to check your status. If you're really concerned about "track insurance" then you probably don't want to put your car on the track in that type of driving environment.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 PM
johninar
Drifting

I don't know that I would say most insurance companies ask those questions. Two of the biggies say it the surface is used for motorsports=no coverage. Mine just laughs at me. You have got to check YOUR policy. what works in your state, with your insurance company may not be valid in other states.

I think it's a great idea to get track insurance if you're worried about trashing your car. I'm not sure that not having coverage helps keep my head screwed on right. I just don't go 10/10ths. Of course anything can happen, I just try to be as careful as possible, and I still manage to have more fun than a guy ought to have.

good luck
Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wmk32
Running in beginner group would you bother buying a cheaper track car or wait for that until you moved up a bit in the hpde levels?

Thanks again for any advice.
Starting out in the beginner group will not put you or your car in any unforeseen situation on the track. Most HPDE events I've instructed are pretty safe to run with as the beginners are running at a slower pace.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be going with WSIB in the spring. Quite honestly, if you do the math, it's a MUCH better alternative to losing out on a bad insurance deal. The "new" language in most policies excludes HPDEs so you might want to have a conversation with your agent about it before you "HAVE TO"...

Mike
Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike, WSIB looks promising - I was checking out their website based on your recommendation - Thanks, Mike:

Laura A. Hauenstein, CIC
President
WSIB Motorsports

Office: 866.904.9742 Ext. 2500
Cell: 419.302.6882
Fax: 866.974.2329
Email: laurah@wsibinsurance.com
950 W. Monroe Street
Suite G200
Jackson, MI 49202

I'm also researching:

Motorsports Insurance Services at http://www.motorsports-insurance.com/
Wisenberg Motorsports Insurance at http://www.wisenberg.com/
Capacity Group: Motorsports at http://www.capcoverage.com/motorsports.html

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 12-02-2007 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Let us know what you find out thru your research, and let's keep this thread alive... Important info for all!!!

Mike
Old 12-05-2007, 10:22 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I will be going with WSIB in the spring. Quite honestly, if you do the math, it's a MUCH better alternative to losing out on a bad insurance deal. The "new" language in most policies excludes HPDEs so you might want to have a conversation with your agent about it before you "HAVE TO"...

Mike
Do you know if "Excess amount" , the 4%, is the premium?
Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Let us know what you find out thru your research, and let's keep this thread alive... Important info for all!!!

Mike
Same here thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

4% is the premium, and the deduction amount goes up, depending on the amount. I believe mine will be about $5K for the deductable, and the premium will run me about $2800, based on $70,000 in claimed "value". I may well reduce that "claimed" value to $60K, based on what I truly "need" as coverage. They will work with you to get to a realistic "value" for your car, so keep that in mind.

Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I wonder if the premuim drops every year due to depreciation.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:32 AM
NASAblue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If there wasn't some risk it wouldn't be any fun b/c you'de have soccer mom's in mini vans out there (not litereally but the mind set).

Any thing can happen in 10 days on the road or on the track, but rethink where your a bigger target. Y b/c people drive where they look. Think your car is getting attention from the pickup of landscapers with mulch and stone falling off the trailer with 8 lawnmowers and weed wackers which may or may not be strapped down? How about the dump truck, think he sees you?

How safe are you really p dunking around in your fiberglass sports car? Want to take a chance with the armico or 25 tons going 55 mph at you that may or may not be aware of you?

If you cant stand the heat get the hell out of my way. To me, if you only drive your car on the road, at the speed limit, you may as well get a prius, it performs that function very well.

For either Prius or vette, I'll take the guy w/ 10 track days a year driving......

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE Insurance?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I went to my first HPDE here at Daytona on the Rolex 24 course this weekend, and #$&!^@#&*$ I'm hooked!

I was talking with another Corvette driver (C5 Z06) about insurance and he gave me this site:

http://www.gainscomsi.com

I know absolutely nothing about track insurance at this point, not affiliated with these guys, don't have any track insurance through them or anyone else, have not investigated what they offer for HPDE's, but it looks like they might be another option.

Bob
Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 PM
anotherone
Pro

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I went to my first HPDE here at Daytona on the Rolex 24 course this weekend, and #$&!^@#&*$ I'm hooked!

I was talking with another Corvette driver (C5 Z06) about insurance and he gave me this site:

http://www.gainscomsi.com

I know absolutely nothing about track insurance at this point, not affiliated with these guys, don't have any track insurance through them or anyone else, have not investigated what they offer for Hyde's, but it looks like they might be another option.

Bob

Man I really wanted to go to that. Im hoping to find some track insurance next year as Im doing more hpde's with SAFE. This is addictive!!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:45 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by anotherone
Man I really wanted to go to that. Im hoping to find some track insurance next year as Im doing more hpde's with SAFE. This is addictive!!
Yeah, tell me 'bout it!!!

This dayum forum is killing me. First it was all the mods I would never have done if I didn't read about it here on the forum. Now it's go-fast fever!!!

The Daytona event really got me excited about doing more of these HPDE's and getting to see more of the great race tracks up close and personal.

I'll probably see you at some events next year!!!

Bob

Quick Reply: HPDE Insurance?