Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot TP for NT01's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hot TP for NT01's?

I'll be running NTO1's at the track 1st time tomorrow. Anybody have a recommended hot TP for these tires? Previously I've run R2's and they seemed to like 38 psi hot.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

The rears on the NT-01 are extra grippy, they are good from 38-40. I dont like the fronts at all, but they seem ok at about 38 as well. So I would try 36-38 and 38-40 and see what your car likes best.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:15 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

wow! you guys run your slicks kinda hard...i usually start at 29 lbs and they warm up to around 34 lbs on the tack and feel pretty good. then i adjust + or - from there for track/temps G/L
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rustyguns
wow! you guys run your slicks kinda hard...i usually start at 29 lbs and they warm up to around 34 lbs on the tack and feel pretty good. then i adjust + or - from there for track/temps G/L
If I start at 29 lbs, I'll end up where I said on most tires. I was actually on the to test them vs michelin pilot sport cups for a same day comparison. And went with his recommended settings which seemed fine for what the tire had to offer.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:18 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by heavychevy
If I start at 29 lbs, I'll end up where I said on most tires. I was actually on the to test them vs michelin pilot sport cups for a same day comparison. And went with his recommended settings which seemed fine for what the tire had to offer.
how did they compare to the sport cups?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:35 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rustyguns
how did they compare to the sport cups?
Here'sa write up I did on 6speedonline.

Originally Posted by Heavychevy
I got to test my MPSC vs Al Nortons NT-01 today in what is always the best way to test tires, on the same day. The MPSC had 12 cycles on them and the NT-01 had 18. But 12 cycles of my driving may be equivalent to his 18. The tires have about the same wear on them, but Al has more street miles. So here are my impressions of the two.

My pads were Pagid Black front pads and orange in the rear. GT2 6 piston calipers, 3580-3610 weight with driver.

Braking- MPSC - have done very well under braking since I've had them, however they do not like "brake standing" and any Porsche 4 or 6 piston kit will lock them up causing the ABS to kick in too much, effectively lengthening the braking zone, but a smooth application that gradually gets to full application will make your eyes pop out. You just have to be careful with the quick jabs of the brake before turn in, that you are not in too hot and have to brake too obruptly. They will start to wiggle on you if you over brake them or have any steering input, so your initial application has to be VERY straight. And they dont always recover well from this in my experience.

- NT-01 - I really did like the NT-01, they were a little more forgiving under adverse braking conditions however a little more violent wiggle if you got them too (braking in marbles). They also have a little more resistance to "jab" braking. Really didnt feel much difference in the two in terms of overall braking G's though I'll have to consult my traqmate to see for sure.

ADV - NT-01 - being that they had 18 cycles on them already, I think they did awesomez same braking force and much more controllable if you go in too deep.

Rear End Grip- MPSC- Very good if you have high cornering speeds, but can be overpowered easily with higher hp cars. They take LOTS of work to get cold, but they have also been better for me with time, and heated track, they are not great for cold/cloudy days until after a session on them, I tend to be gentle on tires, which really is mystifying to me, I get many more cycles than most people, and my MPSC's look great still and performed as well this weekend as they ever have. Launching is a pain, so if you were to race in them, it would be tough to get out of the hole, they are easily out torqued IMO.

- NT-01- If you have R-comps and want to drag race, these are the ones, I did a 5 mph roll while they were cold and couldnt spin the tires, I have also driven Al Norton's 700 hp TT on them and his will spin first if the tires are cold, but that's about it, these things are planted, feel much like the Hoosier R3's I had on in the spring, the rear end grip is phenomenal, very confidence inspiring, and in places where the MPSC would lose rear end grip, the threshold is quite a bit farther.

ADV - NT-01 - rear end grip is great!

Turning- MPSC- Easily better and much more precise in turning, less push. More road feel, may be due to the smaller sizes. But when they are on, they are on, as long as they are warm, even if yo ucan get them to push you can feel them trying.

- NT-01 - This is the part I liked the least about the NT-01, the steering felt soft, almost like skid plates on the front of the car comparatively. Dont get me wrong, you can get the job done, but it will take much more work on your part instead of the tires working with you

ADV- MPSC- by a good margin

Handling- MPSC- gives a very light on your toes feeling. Very disconcerting initially, but after you get used to it, it feels like rails, very controllable at the limit. Not as good rear grip as a hoosier, or even the NT-01, but very accurate if you're smooth with your turning inputs. Standing on the brakes will unsettle them a lot (as with most tires, but moreso for the MPSC). Very high rewards for smooth driving. Overall times are about .5-1 second faster than the NT-01.

- NT-01- High rear end grip, but not as precise on the steering end. Overall lap times are very close to the MPSC, for DE only I dont see any reason why not to get these, expecially if you dont push the limits. The cost is about $200 less than MPSC (~$1100 to your door). They heat up faster, but the MPSC can be about as fast as the NT-01 while not being fully warm, but you have to be on guard as they can bite you in a heartbeat

Winner IMO Dont have one, I like the MPSC and think the lap time capabilities are higher, but if you track regularly and are HPDE, then I'd get the NT-01 shaved 3 to 1 meaning I'd buy NT-01's 3 times and then the Sport Cups once. The price of the NT-01 makes them hard to beat, but after spending some time on the MPSC, it would be hard to change. But I like both for sure. For street driving, the MPSC feel harder than the NT-01, they both kick up lots of stuff and the NT-01's have louder road noise I think (may have been rubbing).

This is just my opinion on some fast laps in both on the same day at Road Atlanta (MPSC 1:34.6, NT-01 1:35.7) both with passenger as I didnt get a clean run solo on the NT-01 to compare to the MPSC (1:33.6) but I new I'd have a very tough time to match the MPSC.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Here'sa write up I did on 6speedonline.
excellent..

i fall into the Nitto category wish i could find some scrubs!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Hot TP for NT01's?

Quick Reply: Hot TP for NT01's?