Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on diff for ST1/2 race car

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need advice on diff for ST1/2 race car

Corvette newbie here but been modding cars for 40 years and do 99% of my own work including metal fab.

I need to replace the diff in my 02 Z06 track only car that is being upgraded from T1 to ST1 specs(road race) but will run in ST2 with lower power for at least the first year(end of the year, will be Solo and TT until later in the season)

I have had the car two weeks, tracked it once, allot to learn and just spent a ton of money on major upgrades to the suspension, seating, Stoptechs, money is a bit tight right at the moment.

Will a stock diff be ok for the time being until I can get a race built unit or should I just bite the bullet and get one now? The diff already has a cooling system to help it last.

If bullet biting is the best answer where to I go from here, who builds them right and does not want your first born child as part of the payment?

During the track day the stock gearing seemed fine but if I end up with a built diff and a different ratio is preferred then may as well do it all at once.

Thanks, I did search, just did not find just what I was looking for.

Rick
Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to check w/ RPM. They built the trans/diff. that the PorVette recently ran in the Thunderhill 25 hr endurance race.
http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/index.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1879616
Old 12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks, I was referred to them today from another source as well, will give them a call tomorrow

Rick
Old 12-07-2007, 08:41 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why are you worried about the diff? They are not a common failure in road racing applications... Drag racers seem to be able to destroy them with high rpm clutch dumps but that is not necessary in road racing. I'm putting 550 to the ground in a very competive TTR car and haven't failed one yet. Put your money to work somewhere else..
Shirl Dickey
Old 12-07-2007, 08:55 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey rick,

I wouldnt worry about messing with the diff, unless you're trying to change the ratio. Theyre pretty stout in stock form.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:21 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Unless you are a rough shifter, the stock diff is fine. Also, the gear ratio is dead on unless you have done a lot of mods to change the rev limit, etc.

Run the one you have until it breaks, then shop around. Lots of vendors to choose from.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:58 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks guys

I do not want to spend money where it is not needed but I also want a very solid car I can run often and hard without allot of worries

I do not bang the gears, just quick smooth shifts so maybe all I need is a stock unit that is not fried like mine is.

The gearing did seem great really but I have so little real world experience with this car I just wanted to ask in case I need to consider a better alternative

----------------

I recieved the car at 10:30PM on two weeks ago Thursday, the last it was driven was at a race where I bought it a few weeks earlier. I spent most of Friday on business then into the evening modifying my new trailer so the car would fit into it. I had zero time to go over the car like I normally would but I had just seen it race just fine and it was fast.

Out on the track I noticed a bit of vibration but I figured it was from the bushings I knew needed replaced and I had already planned on doing right away. By the third session it really got bad so I went to pull in but the session was already over, 20 minutes goes by very fast on the track.

I figured it was a bad hub since so typical, I ordered one and last night went to install it, jacked the car up, all looks fine but one worn out bushing, hmm, not big enough an issue to cause that much vibration (the car has loud pumps for the gear box and diff so it will mask some noises)

I suspected the diff so twisted an axle back and forth, did not sound to great, pulled the plug to drain it and there was no more than 2 oz of lube in the diff!!!!!

I am going over this car with a fine tooth comb and seeing what else seemed to miss being serviced lately

(all the rest of the fluids look fresh and topped off though, go figure!)

-----------

I bought a low mileage stock Z06 diff last night, will be here next Thursday and in the car that night.

Rick

Last edited by RAAMaudio; 12-08-2007 at 03:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on diff for ST1/2 race car

Quick Reply: Need advice on diff for ST1/2 race car