Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI balancer questions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ATI balancer questions?

I have to replace the balancer on my '04 Z06, so I want to use an ATI replacement. I want to keep my air conditioning and I want to use the unit that is aluminum and underdriven.

I looked at the chart at http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co...amserp.htm#how and it looks like part number 917278 is the one for my car.

Is this correct?

I'm going to pin the crank while I'm at it. Does it matter whether I use one, two, or three pins?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 AM
crznZ06
Racer

Bueller . . . Ferris Bueller? Anyone? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats correct! It will come in a few different pieces, the hub and then the damper assembly. Its a very nice piece.

May I ask why you would want to pin the crank though? Is it a blower car? If you do pin it, for what ever reason, one pin is fine
Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Louis,

My car is stock, but it only gets used for autocross and drift events. I'm hoping to go to more HPDEs once I get my engine oil cooler and steering cooler set up properly.

I was just going to pin the balancer because I was already in there. I don't pay too much attention to the tach when I'm drifting the car, but I'm always pedaling the car at high rpms, so I figured pinning the balancer couldn't hurt.

Honestly, I don't feel great about drilling into the crank snout, but I figure that there probably isn't too much I can screw up if I use one of the kits with a guide for the drill bit, right?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 02:25 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crznZ06
Louis,

My car is stock, but it only gets used for autocross and drift events. I'm hoping to go to more HPDEs once I get my engine oil cooler and steering cooler set up properly.

I was just going to pin the balancer because I was already in there. I don't pay too much attention to the tach when I'm drifting the car, but I'm always pedaling the car at high rpms, so I figured pinning the balancer couldn't hurt.

Honestly, I don't feel great about drilling into the crank snout, but I figure that there probably isn't too much I can screw up if I use one of the kits with a guide for the drill bit, right?

Thanks!
The stock crank drills like butter. Get into some of the aftermarket cranks and you will be wishing something else If you are willing to do the work the pin away!!!>

Randy
Old 12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Hi Randy,

I was just going to get the ATI crank pin drill fixture setup shown here: http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co...ex_ls1_pin.htm. This kit should keep me out of trouble, right?

Oh, I got the radiator/oil cooler a couple of days ago, so I'll let you know how the whole install w/ the steering cooler and balancer goes. It has been hard to work on my car since it's been so cold outside - like 50 degrees. Just kidding.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Unless I missed something somewhere, unless you have a blower which requires a lot of stress on the pully ( IE BIG belt tension, 8/10 rib belts) causing it to move, there is no need to pin the crank. I have not put a car out to date that necessitated the pinning of the crank in an all motor setup.

If its a peace of mind thing, one pin is plenty, as that is all we do for the Magnuson blown cars, and they work like a champ You will be happy with the product, its a fantastic setup, but pricey
Old 12-11-2007, 06:09 AM
Roadrace65
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure the aluminum ATI damper you have has a steel sleeve where the front seal runs. I purchased & installed what ATI says was an early version that did not have a steel sleeve, just anodized aluminum. The front seal wore a serious grove into seal surface in less than 1000 miles.

Last edited by Roadrace65; 12-11-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:40 AM
crznZ06
Racer

Roadrace65,

Thanks for the warning. How long ago did you buy the faulty dampener? Where did you buy yours? I was going to get mine from Summit or whoever is cheapest. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Roadrace65
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the damper a couple months ago, but I know it sat on the shelf at the shop that sold it for some time. they marked it down because it didn't sell.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
Thats correct! It will come in a few different pieces, the hub and then the damper assembly. Its a very nice piece.

May I ask why you would want to pin the crank though? Is it a blower car? If you do pin it, for what ever reason, one pin is fine
BEAUTIFUL car Louis!
Old 12-11-2007, 04:47 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Definitely pin if aluminum....and one is fine. The center hub and the pulleys are separate, so do make sure you get the right ones. ATI has good tech support if you just give them a call.

Make sure you don't overtighten the bolts holding the parts together, or you lock it solid and turn your harmonic balancer into a harmonic multiplyier

Get notified of new replies

To ATI balancer questions?

Quick Reply: ATI balancer questions?