Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPE Oil Cooler Setup...any pics of install

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Default LPE Oil Cooler Setup...any pics of install

Just curious if anybody has purchased this unit and installed. I am thinking about it and was wanting to see how it is installed.

Post up pics if you have them.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the same cooler, and my pics aren't very good, but here's a few.

Routing the hose took an inordinate amount of time, for me. The hose is so big, with the silicon cover in place, a great deal of effort was required to keep it away from the headers.

I thought a 45* and a 90* fitting would work well, but in retrospect, I would've used identical fittings if I'd known now what I didn't know then. I will try and take some more pictures later, of the hose routing.

I had to extend the temp gage wires, as they were too short. The wire nuts that I used caught on fire during an HPDE, rendering my temp gage useless. It is difficult to properly shield wire nuts from the headers. I was not successful on my first try.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 12-10-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:39 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I have no pictures but It is a real pain in the a** to fit it in there if you have T1 bars, and If you have a factory PS cooler I'm not sure you can put it where it's supposed to go. Works well for me. Ran VIR in July and it was about 100` outside and temps never went over 250.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RogueVette
I have no pictures but It is a real pain in the a** to fit it in there if you have T1 bars, and If you have a factory PS cooler I'm not sure you can put it where it's supposed to go. Works well for me. Ran VIR in July and it was about 100` outside and temps never went over 250.
It's a real PITA period. But it was necessary for me, 300* oil temps and the warning lights come on, the oil pressure gets low, not good.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueVette
Why is it a PITA? Is it because of where it mounts too? Did you have to relocate the PS cooler?
Thanks
Originally Posted by 2000BSME
It's a real PITA period. But it was necessary for me, 300* oil temps and the warning lights come on, the oil pressure gets low, not good.
Glad to hear it works well on the track. Same question though...why was it a PITA?

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I'm not sure if it's the same cooler, and my pics aren't very good, but here's a few.

Routing the hose took an inordinate amount of time, for me. The hose is so big, with the silicon cover in place, a great deal of effort was required to keep it away from the headers.

I thought a 45* and a 90* fitting would work well, but in retrospect, I would've used identical fittings if I'd known now what I didn't know then. I will try and take some more pictures later, of the hose routing.

I had to extend the temp gage wires, as they were too short. The wire nuts that I used caught on fire during an HPDE, rendering my temp gage useless. It is difficult to properly shield wire nuts from the headers. I was not successful on my first try.
I want to see how it mounts on the cradle. Do you wish you would have used 45* fittings or 90* fittings on the adapter block.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

The T1 bars take up so much space around that cradle that the bracket they supplied didn't work without alot of modification, and the bars still rub on the bracket even after we modded it.

I don't have a PS cooler on my car, (though I do need one) but it takes up the same spot the factory PS cooler does. My statement was pure educated speculation.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 AM
crznZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the Lingenfelter oil cooler bracket use holes that are already drilled into the stock subframe? Thanks!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm very interested in finding out how people routed the lines. Did anyone use the steel braided lines? I was looking at it and can't really see a way to route to my EOC in the left side of the radiator.

Last edited by MattB; 12-10-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MattB
I'm very interested in finding out how people routed the lines. Did anyone use the steel braided lines? I was looking at it and can't really see a way to route to my EOC in the left side of the radiator.
there really isn't too many ways... I'll go take some pictures right now. I mounted mine in the left hand side cooler of my aftermarket radiator.

Here they are. I decided, after trying to go under the engine and serpentine accessories, to go up over the alternator.

This works for me:

two of either fitting would've worked fine, but two 90's would've probably been ideal. I actually cut up a folgers coffee can and wrapped it around the header in the place that I was worried about contact. Seems to work perfect. I also tied the cooler hoses together with baling wire (and zip ties where shown) so they would stay placed exactly where I wanted them to be, AWAY from the headers.

I think that is close to 10 foot of cooler hose, FYI, one hose about 4 1/2 foot, and the other about 5 1/2 foot.

I took a few minutes of cranking to prefill the lines with enough oil to start the engine with pressure (I disabled the ignition to protect the engine from a no pressure starting situation).

Last edited by 2000BSME; 12-10-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LPE Oil Cooler Setup...any pics of install

Quick Reply: LPE Oil Cooler Setup...any pics of install