Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left foot braking. Teach me your tips.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Left foot braking. Teach me your tips.

I know there's more to left foot braking then just putting on the brake. What kind of tips do you have?

thanks,
Steve
Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the most part, it's used when you need to scrub just a bit more speed than a lift...but still want to keep the revs up. It's more important in a low HP/TQ car than the vettes, but there are a few places where it could come in handy...but only in rare cases.

The Vettes have so much torque, I really don't think that 99.9% of the drivers out there would need it. It might be worth .1 or .2 per lap on rare tracks, but other than that, I doubt you'll need it. It's also easy to get "crossed up" and hit the wrong pedal and then cost you .1, .2, or even more.

On the street, try squeezing the brakes (with the left foot) while still maintaining your throttle position. Scrub off a few mph and let off the brakes again...be smooth...repeat over and over and over.... When you're really comfortable with it, try it on the track - slowly at first!

You can also use it to plant the front end to help the car turn a bit better...while still keeping the revs up.

Last edited by wtknght1; 12-12-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:10 AM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can practice first in an automatic, it helps develop the muscle memory.

I have always driven automatics that way; but, I'm still learning the technique in a manual.

When I practice in the manual I find a nice winding country road I know well and stay in 4th, or 3rd if I'm feeing lucky.

On the straights I alternate "kissing", NOT pressing, the clutch and brake pedals to train my foot where they are.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 AM
linutux
Pro

Here's a classic Walter Rohrl video:
Old 12-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

On a road course, left for braking rarely is used because most turns you need to downshift, blip the gas and change gears. On an autocross course, left foot braking is more prevelant as many of the turns you remain in the same gear.

If you want to practice left foot breaking, you need to change your street driving to left foot braking so when you go to the track it is a natural instinct.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

I use it most in situations where I need a quick gas - brake - gas transition, say going through some esses, offset gates, slaloms etc.

It is ususally not a 100% brake, but more of an attitude trim, dragging a bit of brake (usuallycombined with a throttle lift) to help the car turn in or shave a few mph to get the entry speed (and possibly rotation) for the next feature correct, then quickly transition to squeezing the throttle.

It's pretty much impossible to do when downshifting unless you can downshift clutchless (with skill or better equipment)

One thing I do like is it gives me a smoother transition to throttle than brake - lift - throttle. That means a lot of the tires are already at the ragged edge or beyond.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Yep, practice on the street (not the track) with an automatic.

Go to a kart school or do a bunck of indoor karting events. You have to left foot brake in a kart, fun too.

Like everyone said, there's not many places on the track that you will use it in your vette.

I do it all the time but, different car and different trans ( clutch not needed ). I have one car with 2 brake pedals, one for each foot!

Get notified of new replies

To Left foot braking. Teach me your tips.

Quick Reply: Left foot braking. Teach me your tips.