Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitch-mounted Tow Hook Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:41 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hitch-mounted Tow Hook Options

I know the Tow Hook topic has been beaten to death lately, but I searched and found nothing about a hitch-mount option. You know, a tow hook those of us who already have a great, solid, strong mounting point like our hitch could just slide in the receiver and go! I see them all the time on my buddies' wheelin' rigs, but obviously that's a much larger receiver.

It seems like a much more secure location (4 giant bolts going into the frame) than the exhaust hanger location. Then again, the hitch is only rated for 200lbs tongue weight and 2k lbs pulling. Put come on, if the exhaust hanger can do it...

Good idea, or a risk of damaging the frame?

And while I have your attention... any front options that won't require me to cut up my Z06 screens?

-TJ
Old 12-18-2007, 01:00 PM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

I think it is a much better idea than the exhaust hanger bolts. We make the tow hooks on a HUGE press and form them to fit tight to the rear facia and come out between the liscense plate filler and the fron facia we then weld them to the rear bumper and fom a plate to cover the area of the hook and span a larger area of the bumper(frame) so they will not tear away the frame. The biggest problem with welding the hooks is not the hook or the weld it is that the material in the frame is so thin it will tear away.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:24 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds to me like a good idea. Welding a hook on is a big no-no. The 4X4 guys around here will not let you on the trail unless they are bolted on. The way Dale did it was ok.

Randy
PS IF You are really in the crap(trees, mud, deep pea gravel) hook on to something other then a tow hook.

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 12-18-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Come to think of it, would the safety chain loops on my hitch qualify as tow hooks!?!

Not an elegant solution, but I guess I could use a receiver adapter:

Then one of the larger ones I see on rigs:

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 12-18-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Dont most Safety crews want a 2" ID loop?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:25 PM
earthman01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a fab shop make one for me out of bar stock and a couple of 2" rings. They used the hitch bar as a model to round the edges and position the hole. Painted it red and slid in in. Haven't had to use it yet but I'm confident it will take the load.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:47 PM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the trailer hitch rated at? How many bolts holding it in? How much does your car weigh? Without thinking too in depth, seems like a bad chance to take since your car becomes the trailer being yanked.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by earthman01
I had a fab shop make one for me out of bar stock and a couple of 2" rings. They used the hitch bar as a model to round the edges and position the hole. Painted it red and slid in in. Haven't had to use it yet but I'm confident it will take the load.
Did I run with you at Watkins Glen with PDA in mid-September? I saw a guy with a blue Z06 that had a custom tow hook made from a hitch bar. Very nice!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe
What's the trailer hitch rated at? How many bolts holding it in? How much does your car weigh? Without thinking too in depth, seems like a bad chance to take since your car becomes the trailer being yanked.
Originally Posted by tjZ06
It seems like a much more secure location (4 giant bolts going into the frame) than the exhaust hanger location. Then again, the hitch is only rated for 200lbs tongue weight and 2k lbs pulling.
Most of your answers are in my 1st post. Again, 4 bolts directly into the frame, the hitch lays against the frame to distribute the load, and it's rated at 200lbs tongue/2k total. Before you say it, yes my car is more than 2k lbs. But will it take more than 2k lbs of force to pull it from a gravel trap?

If you look at where everybody else is mounting them on C5s (the exhaust hanger bolts) it’s 2 tiny little studs. Everybody is saying they’re good enough… but I have my doubts. The hitch is many many multitudes stronger, but the consequences if its strength is exceeded could be severe.

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 12-21-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hitch-mounted Tow Hook Options

Quick Reply: Hitch-mounted Tow Hook Options