Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparco 4 pt Harness.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Zee916
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sparco 4 pt Harness.

I just bought a Hardbar and harnesses for my FRC to get a little more snug for lapping.

I got the Sparco 4 pt. It seemed to be all that I will need, this is not a race car, but I wanted to see if anyone is using them, if there is anything better out there....

I would have like to have gotten some TeamTech ones but they were $400+ which is too much for me in a normal street car.

Thanks for any help,

Z
Old 12-23-2007, 09:39 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You should have a minimum of a 5-point harness and a 6-point would be even better. A 4-point won't keep you from sliding forward under the lap belt in a frontal crash.

Hence the term "submarine belt" for the small belt at the front of the seat between your legs.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I definitely would not use the 4 point restraints. Without a sub belt, you risk serious if not fatal injuries in a bad crash. Without the sub belt, your butt slides down the seat cushion and the lap belt rides up under your rib cage. The 5th belt keeps your butt planted at the back of the seat so the other belts can properly do their job. Can you exchange the ones you got for a 5 or 6 PT set ? I personally like 6 points since you can anchor them at the rear seat mount bolts and slide through the seat back and cushion.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:35 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is the submarine issue any different than what would happen wearing the stock 3pt? I personally use a TeamTech JetPilot; but to just be a bit more secure why not go with a 4pt over the stocker?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

the stock belt does not have the belt fastener in your belly.

actually in a passenger car where you sit pretty upright the sub belt doesn't stop you from sliding down -- you don't do that anyway. look at the many many videos with crash test dummies. the sub belt keeps the buckle from riding up into the soft vital organs where you will get seriously inured. 6 pt is not safer than 5 pt, but it's usually easier to accomodate a 6 pt -- you don't need a hole in the seat and an extra fastening point.

if you use a 4, 5 or 6 pt harness you really really should have a HANS or other H&N restraint devices as well.

i am not an expert, this is just what i've learned over the past year from paying lots of attention.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Safety_at_the_track
Old 12-23-2007, 06:02 PM
RAFTeRACER
Instructor

With a stock 3 pt. belt your unrestrained shoulder is allowed to rotate forward. This prevents you from sliding under the lap belt by bending your body at the waist and holds the lap belt where it belongs.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:48 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RAFTeRACER
With a stock 3 pt. belt your unrestrained shoulder is allowed to rotate forward. This prevents you from sliding under the lap belt by bending your body at the waist and holds the lap belt where it belongs.
interesting. schroth's harness also allows this.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Zee916
Pro

Well I guess that I will send back the Sparcos and grab them TeamTechs even if they are a good bit more.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:18 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

You'll love the TeamTech. The JetPilot is the most comfortable harness I've ever strapped in to.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Zee916
Pro

If I am going to be strapping them using a Hardbar do I need bolt in, strap in or a tube mount?

Thnx, Z
Old 12-23-2007, 11:12 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

You want wrap-around for the shoulder straps, but it's a toss up between snap-in and bolt-in depending on how you want to mount them to the lap belt bar. I'd talk to Gary @ HardbarUSA about how to mount them... he's also a TeamTech dealer.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:21 AM
threewinmag
Racer

The only OTHER reason for 5 point versus 4 point is that there are some car clubs sponsoring HPDE's are considering allowing only 5 point if there are any restraints other than OEM's and that each side have "equal restraint." That means that both seats have to be equipped with the same harness or belt system. I know that Porsche Clubs are requiring this next year (I think) in instructor cars. I don't know if that mandate is national or regional, but it's something to keep in mind if you're planning to continue this hobby either as a participant or an instructor.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
the stock belt does not have the belt fastener in your belly.

actually in a passenger car where you sit pretty upright the sub belt doesn't stop you from sliding down -- you don't do that anyway. look at the many many videos with crash test dummies. the sub belt keeps the buckle from riding up into the soft vital organs where you will get seriously inured. 6 pt is not safer than 5 pt, but it's usually easier to accomodate a 6 pt -- you don't need a hole in the seat and an extra fastening point.
your hips are a lot stronger than your belly
Old 12-24-2007, 01:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by threewinmag
The only OTHER reason for 5 point versus 4 point is that there are some car clubs sponsoring HPDE's are considering allowing only 5 point if there are any restraints other than OEM's and that each side have "equal restraint." That means that both seats have to be equipped with the same harness or belt system. I know that Porsche Clubs are requiring this next year (I think) in instructor cars. I don't know if that mandate is national or regional, but it's something to keep in mind if you're planning to continue this hobby either as a participant or an instructor.
4 points have never been allowed. Starting in Jan 08 4 points may only be used in BMW Mini Coopers with most car clubs.

Yes equal restraints on BOTH seats.

No wrap around harness belts. Must go though holes in the seat back
Old 12-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

while we're on the subject of equal restraints, what about seats? I've got a Sparco for the drivers side, but just the origional C5 Sport seat on the passenger side. Same 6-point harness for both, will I have any problems?
Old 12-24-2007, 03:03 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Lancer033
while we're on the subject of equal restraints, what about seats? I've got a Sparco for the drivers side, but just the origional C5 Sport seat on the passenger side. Same 6-point harness for both, will I have any problems?
Shoulder harness must pass though holes in the seat back and not be wrapped wound the seat back.

Seats in the C5 Coupe are not a problem, the C5Z06s seats are. Non of the C6 seats have a pass though hole for shoulder harnesses.

So Harnesses mounted on C5Z seats and all C6 seats could run in to challenges are many HPDEs.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I read getting an upholstery shop to put cut-outs in wasn't acceptable to some clubs, too. So those folks that put them into their C6Z seats earlier this year may be disappointed. :-(
Old 12-24-2007, 03:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I read getting an upholstery shop to put cut-outs in wasn't acceptable to some clubs, too. So those folks that put them into their C6Z seats earlier this year may be disappointed. :-(
Yup - Check with the events tech inspectors or event master before signing up for an event.

But then again, some events dont care.

Get notified of new replies

To Sparco 4 pt Harness.

Quick Reply: Sparco 4 pt Harness.