Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint protection: splash guards vs. tape?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:11 PM
MYVetteBy25
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Paint protection: splash guards vs. tape?

Is anyone running Pipedreams' splash guards instead of tape to protect the fenders? Do they work well for HPDEs?
Old 12-25-2007, 09:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Splash guards dont cover enough. Tap it anything at all
Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I am biased because I don't think any type of splash guard looks like it belongs on a Corvette.

I've used blue tape and it works but is time consuming.

I've seen some of the Porsche guys using a spray or roll-on product called "TransSeal" which is basically a temporary protective film that peels off easily and is used by some car manufacturers for transportation. It's available from a company called Groco Specialty Coatings. The guy I first saw using this had a brand new GT3 RSR and was very pleased with it.

Also, Summit Racing sells a product from Dupli-Color called "Shield" Spray on Bra, which sounds similar to "TransSeal" but comes in a spray can and washes off. I have just ordered this and plan to use for my next DE along with a product called "Body Guard" which I picked up at Pep Boys (item# T9020). This product is a heavy plastic film that is adhesvie backed and applies like a stripe or decal kit with soapy water and a squeegee.

My plan is to use the "Body Guard" on the lower panels, and just in front of and behind the wheel wells and rear brake ducts which are the areas that take the most abuse, then spray the "Shield" on the nose, hood, and "mid" panels.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:50 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mud flaps can rip off whenever you hit something, like a cone or a curb. FWIW.

I buy bulk 3M film and cut it to fit. http://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:57 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.shrinkit-inc.com/Shrink-wrap-heat-tape.htm

needs no heat, leaves no residue, sticks well, thick, protects well, removes easily even after a long time. available in clear.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:42 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
http://www.shrinkit-inc.com/Shrink-wrap-heat-tape.htm

needs no heat, leaves no residue, sticks well, thick, protects well, removes easily even after a long time. available in clear.
Hey John, show them a picture of your front bumper
Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
Hey John, show them a picture of your front bumper
Well I don't use tape but I'm waiting for yours to look like that! Get on track it's a new year coming!
Old 01-01-2008, 06:12 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Well I don't use tape but I'm waiting for yours to look like that! Get on track it's a new year coming!
I will I understand that pocono is open for slots in may
Old 01-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I use Cleartastic and splash guards during HPDE's and Auto-X events. The splash guards are 13" wide and are held in place using the stock wheel well liner screws. Takes 10-15 minutes to put all 4 splash guards on, and after the event, come off just as easy. All and all, I have not noticed any side panel damage using both. I keep the Cleartastic on throughout the year except during winter storage. Now all I need is something to protect hood and windshield.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I will I understand that pocono is open for slots in may
we got slots in April and even March! Promises promises
Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
First off I am biased because I don't think any type of splash guard looks like it belongs on a Corvette.

I've used blue tape and it works but is time consuming.

I've seen some of the Porsche guys using a spray or roll-on product called "TransSeal" which is basically a temporary protective film that peels off easily and is used by some car manufacturers for transportation. It's available from a company called Groco Specialty Coatings. The guy I first saw using this had a brand new GT3 RSR and was very pleased with it.

Also, Summit Racing sells a product from Dupli-Color called "Shield" Spray on Bra, which sounds similar to "TransSeal" but comes in a spray can and washes off. I have just ordered this and plan to use for my next DE along with a product called "Body Guard" which I picked up at Pep Boys (item# T9020). This product is a heavy plastic film that is adhesvie backed and applies like a stripe or decal kit with soapy water and a squeegee.

My plan is to use the "Body Guard" on the lower panels, and just in front of and behind the wheel wells and rear brake ducts which are the areas that take the most abuse, then spray the "Shield" on the nose, hood, and "mid" panels.

Hope this helps!
Hey man, I grew up in Orange Park, on off of Kingsley, dont meet to many people from OP anywhere.

Back on Topic, Discovery Parts has a max-guard that I've posted pics of on my car and the stuff just plain works great and you can hardly tell it's on there in the sun.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint protection: splash guards vs. tape?

Quick Reply: Paint protection: splash guards vs. tape?