Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes on C6Z06

Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Zee0hh6ix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes on C6Z06

They guys. Hope all had a great holiday. The rotors (C6Z06) are starting to show cracks around the holes. I壇 like to get slotted rotors (lightweight). I知 using HP Plus pads on OE calipers. Not sure I知 willing to change brakes (BBK) yet, but I was looking for any suggestions on a brake pad / rotor combo?

Also, fellow Z06 HPDE attendee changed front (only) calipers to Stoptech and he claims he could go 25% deeper with OE tires. Sounds like a stretch, but does any one have comments or experience with the Stoptech brakes on a C6Z06?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stoptech and race pads it may be very true. If you feel more confident you will go deeper.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hh6ix
They guys. Hope all had a great holiday. The rotors (C6Z06) are starting to show cracks around the holes. I’d like to get slotted rotors (lightweight). I’m using HP Plus pads on OE calipers. Not sure I’m willing to change brakes (BBK) yet, but I was looking for any suggestions on a brake pad / rotor combo?

Also, fellow Z06 HPDE attendee changed front (only) calipers to Stoptech and he claims he could go 25% deeper with OE tires. Sounds like a stretch, but does any one have comments or experience with the Stoptech brakes on a C6Z06?
I did an HPDE on the Rolex 24 course at the Daytona Int'l Speedway earlier this month. Before the event I put on DBA 4000 rotors, Hawk HP Plus pads (with OE clalipers), and changed to Motul RBF 600 fluid. The setup worked great - no fade when coming down from 165 mph to about 45 mph for the first turn into the infield. My instructor drove the car during one session and every time he hit either the stop pedal or the go pedal all I heard was "WOW!".

AFAIK there aren't any $40 NAPA rotors in C6Z06 sizes. I think the DBA are about the cheapest you'll find, and they aren't cheap at $140 for each rotor (Tire Rack had the same price as anywhere else I could find them).

They're a one piece rotor so they aren't lightweight eiter, but they sure did work good for me. Next week the only other thing I'm going to do is put on some Stoptech SS lines. That's all I plan to do for the several HPDE's I'll do in '08.

If I were doing competition racing I'd go with a BBK, but for HPDE's I think I'm going to be satisfied with the stock calipers (at least for a while ).

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-27-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:33 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

If you consider what is required, mechanically, to allow driving 25% deeper into a turn before braking, other things equal, I think you have to doubt this claim. That doesn't mean he didn't do it, but there are too many other variables involved, not the least of which is confidence. From a pure performance measure, the OE calipers are fine, with proper race pads. There are some design features that are questionable, but in terms of slowing the car, they work. With equal size pistons, they are going to eat the leading edge padlets, and the retaining bolts can be problematic. But from a value perspective, a BBK would be way down on my list of things to buy.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

depends on how many events you do and padlets you eat up if a BBK is worth it.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm beggining to really dislike this topic...

As much as I wanted to find a solution to using the stock calipers, I'm almost ready to admit there is no solution. I'm waiting to find a solid pad that replaces the padlets (the root of the problem). There is a hope if those are developed, but I'm really tired of wasting time, $$, and track time burning up stuff that just can't handle the task. It looks like a BBK will be coming soon.

The stock caliper works fine, it's the pad wear that sucks. a BBK is not going to be that much better in pure performance but will give you a lot of confidence and consistancy.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I did an HPDE on the Rolex 24 course at the Daytona Int'l Speedway earlier this month. Before the event I put on DBA 4000 rotors, Hawk HP Plus pads (with OE clalipers), and changed to Motul RBF 600 fluid. The setup worked great - no fade when coming down from 165 mph to about 45 mph for the first turn into the infield. My instructor drove the car during one session and every time he hit either the stop pedal or the go pedal all I heard was "WOW!".

AFAIK there aren't any $40 NAPA rotors in C6Z06 sizes. I think the DBA are about the cheapest you'll find, and they aren't cheap at $140 for each rotor (Tire Rack had the same price as anywhere else I could find them).

They're a one piece rotor so they aren't lightweight eiter, but they sure did work good for me. Next week the only other thing I'm going to do is put on some Stoptech SS lines. That's all I plan to do for the several HPDE's I'll do in '08.

If I were doing competition racing I'd go with a BBK, but for HPDE's I think I'm going to be satisfied with the stock calipers (at least for a while ).

Bob

Elite Engineering has Stainless Steel Pistons for the C6 Z06 (J56) Calipers. I also use CarboTech XP10's which are at my spec (two mm thicker than OEM).

Last edited by rudyarias; 12-28-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:33 AM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
I'm beggining to really dislike this topic...

As much as I wanted to find a solution to using the stock calipers, I'm almost ready to admit there is no solution. I'm waiting to find a solid pad that replaces the padlets (the root of the problem). There is a hope if those are developed, but I'm really tired of wasting time, $$, and track time burning up stuff that just can't handle the task. It looks like a BBK will be coming soon.

The stock caliper works fine, it's the pad wear that sucks. a BBK is not going to be that much better in pure performance but will give you a lot of confidence and consistancy.

I agree with your opinion, but I'm not sure a one-piece pad will help. With the large leading edge piston, it seems a one-piece pad might be subject to exreme tapering, which might end up being worse than the individual padlet design. Also, while I don't have the caliper in front of me now, but recalling its top, it seems a single large pad may not be compatible with the small openings, and the caliper would have to be removed to replace pads. I know a lot of folks do that anyway, but it's not necessary, and I would like to avoid it.

All things considered, the OE brake system is obviously not the best for serious track use, which is also true for any number of other parts that could be mentioned. For my use, primarily street with a 5 or 6 DE events each year, I think I'm better off dealing with the padlet replacement.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:59 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by elh0102
All things considered, the OE brake system is obviously not the best for serious track use, which is also true for any number of other parts that could be mentioned.
I also agree. The C6 Z06 out of the box is really designed for weekend warriors out to have fun, not break lap times. If one wants a car for serious track use, they'll have to build one.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by elh0102
I agree with your opinion, but I'm not sure a one-piece pad will help. With the large leading edge piston, it seems a one-piece pad might be subject to exreme tapering...
Your probably right on the tappering...even though the 6 piston design was made to combat the dreded C5 tapper problem, it really doesn't get rid of it...even the padlets have pad tapper wear.

swapping out pads is the best short term solution...but @ Road America I go through a front set in 3 sessions. The pad cost will eventually out weigh the cost of a BBK.

Originally Posted by rudyarias
I also agree. The C6 Z06 out of the box is really designed for weekend warriors out to have fun, not break lap times. If one wants a car for serious track use, they'll have to build one.
here in lies the problem...my idea of fun is bettering my laps times, however I only do about 4 track events/year.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
Your probably right on the tappering...even though the 6 piston design was made to combat the dreded C5 tapper problem, it really doesn't get rid of it...even the padlets have pad tapper wear.

swapping out pads is the best short term solution...but @ Road America I go through a front set in 3 sessions. The pad cost will eventually out weigh the cost of a BBK.

here in lies the problem...my idea of fun is bettering my laps times, however I only do about 4 track events/year.
The tappering issue was corrected with the redesign of Knuckle in the C6. The C6 knuckle is a tad thicker and much stiffer than the C5 knuckle. I have not experience any tapper wear that you describe.

I went through two sets of Carbo Tech XP 10 (two mm thicker) padlets on DBA Rotors at RA on my front C6 Z06 calipers. I notice from running Sebring last weekend that the stainless steel pistons I've had made do help further the pad wear. I know that the Cobalt Friction (J56) padlets and their full pad version last the longest from tests done by GM at VIR.

If "fun" is beating your lap times. I strongly suggest you put a full cage in that puppy because RA is not a forgiving track for those who push the envelope.

Last edited by rudyarias; 12-30-2007 at 12:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes on C6Z06

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes on C6Z06