Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy crate motor or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:26 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buy crate motor or rebuild?

Hi all,

I've been to four track events so far and i'm hooked. However, I cannot ignore the risks involved in this hobby. Therefore, i'll be retiring the Z06 from the track and instead run my 1999 coupe because if something was to happen i'd rather it happen to it. My question is about what to do with the motor. I don't want to blow it on the track, so i'm either going to rebuild it and replace the heads/cam, or get an LS6/LS1 crate motor. I'm trying to get a decent estimate of what each route will run me and decide from there. I'm also open to suggestions. I haven't been very lucky with the search, i'm just wondering if there is anyone else who has been in the same or similar situation that can offer some advice. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by LS6Vette02; 01-13-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

LS6 crate motor. Or maybe wait for the LS3.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:46 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

popped my and ruined everything in was big BOOM. Diff, tranny and engine total loss. Got a crate and did H&C. I would wait for LS3 if you can. Unless you want to build something from scratch. Are you doing engine build personally ?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Originally Posted by John Shiels
popped my and ruined everything in was big BOOM. Diff, tranny and engine total loss. Got a crate and did H&C. I would wait for LS3 if you can. Unless you want to build something from scratch. Are you doing engine build personally ?
I would rather buy a crate motor if I could afford to go that route, but I was thinking rebuilding the Ls1 might be cheaper and I would be doing it myself. I understand the benefit of having an LS3 over an LS6, but i'm wondering how difficult it would be to do that conversion. I believe the wiring harnesses, computer, etc. are different?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

might get better/more info on LS1tech.com Sometimes hard to get your arms around full cost of a project. Research it! I would guess a crate is near 7000. I paid 4900 for a LS6 shipped in 03. You still have a motor to work with I had nothing except manifolds!

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-27-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by John Shiels
might get better/more info on LS1tech.com Sometimes hard to get your arms around full cost of a project. Research it!

LS3 you would need to change reluctor wheel on the crank. Wiring harness adapters are sold by Katech.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:49 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

One day i'll make a big big motor! Then everthing else will fail from the power churnning through it or I'll crash

Tires will be gone faster also.

I also need a cage first to be smart.

5.5" clutch is what I really want!

Last edited by John Shiels; 12-27-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:47 AM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Thanks for the info, LS1tech does have quite a bit of information. I'll be doing a lot of research there. Putting a crate motor in sounds nice since I'll be doing the swap during the spring semester and won't have much time to rebuild the motor.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:09 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6Vette02
Thanks for the info, LS1tech does have quite a bit of information. I'll be doing a lot of research there. Putting a crate motor in sounds nice since I'll be doing the swap during the spring semester and won't have much time to rebuild the motor.
if i was doing what your doing i would buy a low mileages LS6 motor. i see them around all the time from 1800 to 2800 bucks

can't rebuild the to the same level as a ls6 for that much money. but i am usually broke and cheap as hell
Old 12-28-2007, 05:09 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS6Vette02
you may also have a warranty,
Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/ls.html
Old 12-28-2007, 07:27 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

For my money the LS6 crate motor is the way to go. Factory fresh and very strong. It will bolt right up with no problems. A proper computer flash, tune and you are running again. Second alternative is a used LS6 - watch the forum C5 parts for sale and this section. Can buy low miles used ones for around $3000 or so. This sport is addicting - let the mods begin !!
Old 12-28-2007, 07:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

the LS3 would have more HP but there are deals on LS6 Create motors if you look a little. ( LS3 you would need to change a few things anyway to make it work with your computer)

Friend of mine bought two LS6 create motors from a dealer in Virgina Beach for $5,000, not each but for both.

So look around.
Good Luck
Old 12-28-2007, 10:44 AM
LS6Vette02
Racer

I have seen a couple LS6s on the forum for 2500-3500, but were a little higher on the miles. Looks like a crate LS6 is around 6400 now, but have heard they can be as low as 3000 at times. 5000 for two is crazy! It is tempting to do some radical build on the LS1, but at the point where I am I don't really need anymore power, just something reliable. I am impressed with the LS6 as I have had eight track days and zero problems.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Look around, by a new LS6 create motor, dont change a thing. Drive it to break the motor in, maybe an oil cooler, then do some suppression mods to your FRC, Seats and harness and HAVE AT IT.

GOOD, FAST AND RELIABLE CAR.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

From everything I have read these LSX motors hold up very well. Before trying to fix a problem that may not exist why don't you do some test to see what kind of shape the motor is in such as compression/leakdown test.

If your motor is in good shape run it till it drops while researching the various options.

Also, I would go to a forged motor rather than stock. Much better built to take the abuses of tracking your car. You can buy forged 347 short blocks from TSP, SDPC, and others for around $3K.

While your at it might want to add a nice cam/heads/headers to get a little more HP/TQ since you will have the whole thing apart anyway.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:51 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My suggestion is to keep it as-is and spend the money making it robust. You can add a little power while you're rebuilding, but don't go ridiculous just yet.

Replace the bearings and seals, maybe the rings if it's worn in there. Chances are you won't need to do much. When I tore it down my 100K mile LT1 was clean as a whistle inside because it was well maintained, my guess is yours will be also.

Spend your budget on things to make it last forever:
  • Bigger baffled oil pan
  • Forged crank and rods
  • Accusump system
  • Coolers, coolers, coolers (oil, trans, coolant)

By making it more robust (and lightweight) inside you can then tune it to rev higher and maybe stretch out the power band a little. Nothing's better then being able to carry a gear longer down straights. In addition, for a track car, you're going to need to spend some money in other areas like the brakes and tires. Don't blow your budget on just the motor. Don't be the guy that everyone laughs at - "typical Corevette driver, fast down the straights, passed by Miatas everywhere else."

Once you make it bulletproof you can spend lots of time behind the wheel. Then comes the most important part - figuring out what you want to do. If you're going to stick to HPDE's, go crazy with mods and have fun. But if you're going to compete in SCCA or NASA you need to pick a class and build within the rules. It sucks to make a 500 hp monster, then decide you want to try your hand at racing but you're stuck in an unlimited class with factory backed cars because you put a new cam in your car...

Last edited by ScaryFast; 12-28-2007 at 01:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy crate motor or rebuild?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:11 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
My suggestion is to keep it as-is and spend the money making it robust. You can add a little power while you're rebuilding, but don't go ridiculous just yet.

Replace the bearings and seals, maybe the rings if it's worn in there. Chances are you won't need to do much. When I tore it down my 100K mile LT1 was clean as a whistle inside because it was well maintained, my guess is yours will be also.

Spend your budget on things to make it last forever:
  • Bigger baffled oil pan
  • Forged crank and rods
  • Accusump system
  • Coolers, coolers, coolers (oil, trans, coolant)

By making it more robust (and lightweight) inside you can then tune it to rev higher and maybe stretch out the power band a little. Nothing's better then being able to carry a gear longer down straights. In addition, for a track car, you're going to need to spend some money in other areas like the brakes and tires. Don't blow your budget on just the motor. Don't be the guy that everyone laughs at - "typical Corevette driver, fast down the straights, passed by Miatas everywhere else."

Once you make it bulletproof you can spend lots of time behind the wheel. Then comes the most important part - figuring out what you want to do. If you're going to stick to HPDE's, go crazy with mods and have fun. But if you're going to compete in SCCA or NASA you need to pick a class and build within the rules. It sucks to make a 500 hp monster, then decide you want to try your hand at racing but you're stuck in an unlimited class with factory backed cars because you put a new cam in your car...
good advice!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:12 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Look around, by a new LS6 create motor, dont change a thing. Drive it to break the motor in, maybe an oil cooler, then do some suppression mods to your FRC, Seats and harness and HAVE AT IT.

GOOD, FAST AND RELIABLE CAR.
another smart guy!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:11 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

The car has had only one owner before me and he was in his 70's. I know its been taken care of. I've only had it since last summer. I'm starting to lean towards getting either a low mileage or crate LS6 to use for right now. I'll still have the LS1 I can gradually build at my own pace instead of running it until it blows. Time and money is what's against me right now. I doubt i'll start racing anytime soon, just getting as much experience as possible in HPDEs. One of my instructors made a good point that the car, with as much power as it has, is covering up a lot of mistakes, whereas a miata wouldn't be as forgiving. I still want to drive corvettes, but be able to maximize its potential, not take advantage of it. I would like to, however, eventually try some TT with NASA. How would putting an LS6 in the car affect what class i'm placed in?

Since tires were mentioned, I discovered a nail in one of my rears the other day. This will be the third time i've had to replace the tires because of a puncture. It's getting expensive replacing them because some groups don't allow patched tires on track. I've been running the stock Eagle F1s. Should I consider race tires like the V710s that I can trailer to the track and not have to worry about collecting things in them on the way back home? When do you usually make the step up?

Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply: Buy crate motor or rebuild?