Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

license plate screens?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:18 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default license plate screens?

I have seen some cars with license plate screens that look like the front Z06 side screens. I thought these was the steel bumper there. Are there ways to get more radiator airflow by doing something funny with these screens or is this an appearance item only? I have never worked behind the bumper cover sorry if I am ignorant.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

They are called Halltech Tunnel Plates, and were made by Halltech.

They stopped making them, but I recently saw a thread and it seemed like halltech made a limited number (I think 10) a few months ago.

I have one on my car. They are very good looking and provide a cool blast of air to the engine.

You might be able to find one in the C5 parts for sale section. You could always post a looking to buy.

Last edited by Independent1; 12-28-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-28-2007, 11:34 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or there is a cheaper, more creative alternative...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1793170
Old 12-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I have seen some cars with license plate screens that look like the front Z06 side screens. I thought these was the steel bumper there. Are there ways to get more radiator airflow by doing something funny with these screens or is this an appearance item only? I have never worked behind the bumper cover sorry if I am ignorant.
They are for intake air not cooling air. There is plenty of cooling air available as long as the air dams are in place, the center air dam is taped into position so air pressure doesn't blow it back on its springs, the foam gaskets between the shroud and the A/C condenser are in place, and no debris has piled up at the top of the A/C condenser. In other words pretty much the way GM made it other than taping the center air dam.

Bill
Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are road racing your car in hot weather then more air becomes an issue, race radiator as well.

One of the manfs here is working on an oil cooler kit using that opening, I have seen the prototype on their race car and will be running one as well.

Rick
Old 12-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

LG still sells their version, see LG Motorsports in the vendor listings to the left.

Get notified of new replies

To license plate screens?

Quick Reply: license plate screens?