Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**What's the Difference between ALMS GT2 and World Challenge Corvettes

Old 12-31-2007, 11:08 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default **What's the Difference between ALMS GT2 and World Challenge Corvettes

HI Guys,

We have been asked lately about the difference between the World Challenge Car (WC car) and our new ALMS GT2 car. There are suttle but many differences.

First, the engine in the WC car has to use stock LS1 cylinder heads, ported (GM Performance parts) but still LS1 heads. The flow is lucky to reach 300cfm. We had to use a restrictor plate that brought the power down to about 520 flywheel hp and we had to use a spec cam, stock plastic LS6 manifold and stock size flywheel.

The GT2 engine can use ANY manifold, any Cam, LS7 or LS3 heads, Any port job, any cu in (we will use the LS3 de-stroked to 6 liters). the cu in determines the restrictor size. We have to run 2 restrictors that measure 29.6mm each (about 1 3/16" each) which should cut the top hp down to about 500 flywheel) But the engine build is basically unlimited so the torque will be that of a 700hp engine down in the lower rpm ranges until the restrictors have an effect. We should see 500 hp and 550 tq at the flywheel (we think)

CHASSIS: The Chassis in the WC car is stock with stock suspension and only Drop spindles and we could replace the rubber with Spherical bearings. Coil over was approved with any shock spring sway bar package.

The GT2 car will have a stock frame to start with but from there out it can be totally manufactured suspension and uprights with center lock wheels. The Geometry can be altered at the outer points but the inner points must be within 20mm of stock(.800"). The suspension will be totally fabricated and look like an F1 Suspension.

THe GT2 ride height minimum will be 2" off the ground compared to 3" in the WC car. the engine in the LeMans GT2 car will be about 3" lower than the WC car also.

TRANSAXLE: The WC car had to use stock gear ratios while the GT car gears are open. We will use a Sequential 6 speed Transaxle and do away with the entire GM driveline from the engine back and replace it with that special Sequential gear box with a built in diff from EMCO. Same Transaxle as in the Indy cars and Prototypes.

ENGINE: The engine will have 2 starter motors because if the car does not re-start on it's own, you can not continue to race. NO push starts and the engine must be shut down for fueling. Starters will spin a 7" flywheel.

WHeels: 18" Wheels on both but on the Wc car were 10.5" wide front and 12 rear. the new GT2 car will have 12.5 wide front and 13.5 rear.

Tires: WC car used DOT shaved tires while we can use any Slick race tire in LM GT2 as long as the overall width is not over 14" rear 13" front measured at the widest part of the tire.

Brakes: are 15" on both but the GT2 car will have monster brakes that can last 12 hours without a change of pads. And for the short races (2 hr 45 min) we will use Cobalt Sprint pads.

The GT2 car also MUST have A/C. Really, it is a rule because the cockpit temps were above 140 degrees. Now with the A/C it should be below 90 degrees.

Weight: The GT2 car will weigh 2695 pounds where the WC car was 2900. (both with no driver and no fuel)

Body work. In the GT2 class we will start with the C6 body. The WC Car has louvers that pop up to create a low pressure under the hood, and it could have a 2" front splitter protruding forward from the body. The GT2 Lemans car can not have anything outside of the "top view" so no splitter further forward than the stock nose. And fenders can be widened to accept the wider wheels and tires but "Must look similar to stock". but the underneath of the GT2 car will be better suited for air flow and have similar down force but with less drag.

The car will be at each ALMS race this season starting with Sebring. We can have a group tour of the race car at the track for the Forum members.

I will post up some progress photos as they come available for public consumption.

Sebring March 15th

St Petersburg April 5th

Long Beach April 19th

Houston April 26th

Salt Lake City May 18th

JUNE is Le Mans Month if we get invited.

Lime Rock July 12th

Mid Ohio July 19th

Road America (Elkhart Lake) August 9th

Mosport, Canada August 24th

Detroit August 30th

Road Atlanta (Petit Lemans) October 4th

Laguna Seca October 18th

See you at the races.

Lou Gigliotti LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 01-02-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:48 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Awesome Lou, thanks for the update. You going to be in the garage next month at the 24 hours?
Old 12-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That's some awesome info. Can't wait! Sure will be nice to see a Corvette front runner in GT2 finally!
Old 12-31-2007, 11:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you pick a tire partner / suppler yet?

Drivers, who will be joining you?
Old 12-31-2007, 01:05 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

When I read that description, my mental calculator starts adding up the money. Ouch. And that is AFTER the research is done to find the desired parts (or combination of parts). I sometimes think I want to go "pro" racing, but (so far) every time I look into that pool I jsut cringe at the costs.

Lou, I have to had it to you. You're just a "regular" guy (meant as a compliment) yet you found a way to develop a program like this...very impressive. Ain't American great?

Happy New Year, see ya at the end of the month.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:13 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oooh, Long Beach in April nice. My family is in LBC, I might have to check that out in person. Best of luck this upcoming year. I can't wait to see the pics of the suspension pieces and the motor so low. And what brakes you are going to run. TA6/MB4? Dunlops or Michelins? Lou is in good hands with the Riley Technologies behind them.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:01 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good post. and
Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2007, 02:19 PM
HORNDAWG
Instructor

Realizing that you do not have any pics that you wish to post at this time, what stage of progress are you at with the different aspects of the project? I.E., engine.. dynoed? chassis build... %, any tunnel time yet or is it all cfd to this point? etc....

L.P.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:20 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Sweet

And VERY interesting, it would be nice to see some of that aero stuff

Good Luck Lou, hope you have a great season

Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Will the car be ready for ALMS Sebring test days Jan. 28-30?

Have you found funding/partner for a 2nd car for the team?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Bandit 00C5
Melting Slicks

Received 246 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Cant wait to see you at Long Beach Lou. It was great talking to you at the Corvette Corral and hope you stop by again this year.

See you at the Beach.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:08 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

great post lou! can't wait to see the car!
i'll catch up with you at sebring and plan to go to st pete, belle isle, and probably road atlanta.. the rest are pending work schedule around those times..
brian *snksknr* harrison says he's flying over from dallas for the sebring race as well..

good luck getting prepped!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:12 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Awesome! I will definitely be checking out that pit tour on the championship in Monterey, CA. I never caught you this year.

I'm planning on watching you at the 24hrs... they better give you that invite!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Best wishes Lou, see you in July at MidOhio
Old 12-31-2007, 04:21 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
HI Guys,

We have been asked lately about the difference between the World Challenge Car (WC car) and our new ALMS GT2 car. There are suttle but many differences.

CHASSIS: The Chassis in the WC car is stock with stock suspension and only Drop spindles and we could replace the rubber with Spherical bearings. Coil over was approved with any shock spring sway bar package.

The GT2 car will have a stock frame to start with but from there out it can be totally manufactured suspension and uprights with center lock wheels. The Geometry can be altered at the outer points but the inner points must be within 80mm of stock. The suspension will be totally fabricated and look like an F1 Suspension.
Any idea what the differences in final inboard pivots will be like? I'm curious where you end up, and how you're affecting the geometry. Any chance of releasing specs of the new suspension?

Do you get to remove the stock subframe in either class? If you have to keep it, can you run the mag subframe from the Z06?

TRANSAXLE: The WC car had to use stock gear ratios while the GT car gears are open. We will use a Sequential 6 speed Transaxle and do away with the entire GM driveline from the engine back and replace it with that special Sequential gear box with a built in diff from EMCO. Same Transaxle as in the Indy cars and Prototypes.
Any worries running 550ft/lbs through the driveline when the openwheel/prototypes the gearbox is designed for weigh 1000lbs less?

The car will be at each ALMS race this season starting with Sebring. We can have a group tour of the race car at the track for the Forum members.
Lou Gigliotti LGM
I've got a brother in long beach - I'll see what I can do to make the that date.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:45 PM
LG Motorsports

Thanks guys, My pleasure. We will have to get the Corvette Corral to include the GT2 Corvette in their weekend presentations.

I would be glad to bring the car over to the Corral or possibly organize a "Field Trip" to our Paddock for the complete "Walk Around" show and tell.

We will just have to make sure that no Ferrari or Porsche team members are in the group

I am looking forward to a great season but we still are well aware of the very high level of competition in this class. The Ferrari Psudo Factory teams and Porsche factory teams will be very hard to match with our non factory budget.

BUT---Considering that the Corvette, in my mind, is a superior car, then they will need the extra help. Time will tell.

Ok, on some technical questions: We have to run the subframe but it can be modified extensively. The suspension pick up points will belong the the Riley Design team and I doubt that they will want them published. What I can tell you is that they will only work with their uprights and the uprights will cost in the neighborhood of $15k each corner.

The Geometry will be optomized for a corvette that runs 2" off the ground with the CG and center of mass in the same location as the GT2 Riley Technologies design Corvette.

The Trans axle has already been proven in the GT class in Grand Am but the design was built for much more hp than we can make under the rules, and for more than our weight. Emco is a great company that designed this particular Transaxle with about a 200% margin for reliability. But Racing tends to find the weakest link in everything.

The car will NOT be ready for the January ALMS Test at Sebring. The completion date will be around Feb 24th.

Remember, the car has to be approved at every step along the way by the ACO and FIA, so not everything in the design is finalized yet.

Hey, Buckeye; Yes, America is GREAT!! The harder I work, the luckier I get My first three races in my life were at Nelson Ledges and Mid Ohio and the Glen in the 70s Just wait until I write my book on how to become a race car Driver. What a hoot.

I am looking forward to meeting the Corvette Crowd at all these races. And I look forward to discussing the Car with all of you at the track.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Lou Gigliotti LGM
Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for the write up!

I had no idea about the diffences in the WCC and ALMS GT-2 cars.
Happy New Year!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To **What's the Difference between ALMS GT2 and World Challenge Corvettes

Old 12-31-2007, 06:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bink
Thanks for the write up!

I had no idea about the diffences in the WCC and ALMS GT-2 cars.
Happy New Year!!!!
Funny part is many of the ppl on the European sports car forums think that LGs GT2 car is a stock C6 with slicks on.

But then again they think the Porsche's and Ferrari's are too
Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Funny part is many of the ppl on the European sports car forums think that LGs GT2 car is a stock C6 with slicks on.

But then again they think the Porsche's and Ferrari's are too
I agree,

The rules are the same for every brand so they all can and do the same things that are allowed. I wish it was just a showroom stock effort. It would be much cheaper. (Maybe)

but do me a favor and do not clue them in until we get the full FIA and ACO homologation complete.

Thanks
LG
Old 12-31-2007, 06:49 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
I agree,

The rules are the same for every brand so they all can and do the same things that are allowed. I wish it was just a showroom stock effort. It would be much cheaper. (Maybe)

but do me a favor and do not clue them in until we get the full FIA and ACO homologation complete.

Thanks
LG
Naww I just tell them your running a C3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: **What's the Difference between ALMS GT2 and World Challenge Corvettes