Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Powered GTM Supercar Finishes 25-Hours of Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 PM
irace1
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Powered GTM Supercar Finishes 25-Hours of Thunderhill

Press Release
GTM Prototype Debuts at 25-Hours of Thunderhill

December 10, 2007: The Prototype Development Group (PDG), a Stockton, CA racing team achieved a successful finish at the U.S. Air Force 25-Hours of Thunderhill, the countries longest, most demanding car race. The team completed 333 laps and just under 1000 miles at an average speed of nearly 90 miles per hour. The team overcame a lack of track time and mechanical issues to finish in 13th place in the ES class in the 25 hour race.

PGD campaigned its 2007 Factory Five Racing GTM Prototype in this years race for the first time. The car achieved race times of slightly over two minutes, with a fastest lap of 2:01.270.

The team received an unassembled GTM Supercar kit, the road version of the car, in June of 2007 from Factory Five Racing. The team added a stock Chevrolet LS6 5.7 liter engine from a 2001 C5 Corvette that produces over 400 hp and matched that to a Porsche G50 transaxle from a 1995 Porsche 993. Due to time constraints, the car was not completed until the first day of practice for the race.

The team was 7th fastest overall out of the 72 entrants in practice. During qualifying, the car developed a minor brake problem that relegated the team to 37th on the starting grid. One and a half hours into the race, the GTM had moved up to 4th in class and 21st overall. Gearbox trouble during the night slowed the team, but they were able to bring the car home at the end.

Driver Keith Drake commented after the race that “in driving what amounts to a prototype race car, you look for the basics functions to be there, steering stable, braking in a straight line, in other words, no bad habits, and I'm pleased to say the GTM had none. I was comfortable from the first lap essentially because of my confidence in the engineering of Factory Five and the craftsmanship of Rich [Migliori] and Don [Vaught]. Unfortunately we had already developed gearbox problems so I left it in 4th and focused on carrying speed in the corners and bouncing off the rev limiter in the straights. Lap times in traffic were in the 2:01's and the car was comfortable in traffic,... great package, fun to drive, with better suspension, tires and a gear box that shifts, the car will do [1:]53's all day."

Team owner, Richard Migliori, added “I think we proved that this car can compete as a low-cost option for endurance racing. The car stood up to the challenge, and with some testing, we should be competing for a class win in 2008”.

The team plans on a return in 2008 to compete in the 25-Hours of Thunderhill as well as the NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship.

Contact Information
Jeff Trout
Marketing Coordinator
Prototype Development Group
Phone: 916-825-9651
jefft@prototypedevelopmentgroup.com

Last edited by irace1; 01-06-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice work first time out.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ls6 rocks!
Old 01-02-2008, 06:52 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats, imagine after you guys have some R&D time
Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 PM
irace1
7th Gear

Thanks, all for the words of encuragement.

This year, we are going to use the 5-race NASA Western Endurace Racing Championship here on the left coast to sort the car for the 25-hour.

Taking a road car kit and transforming it into a race car meant that we had no starting point for the mostly stock Corvette suspension parts. We were waaaaay out of the ballpark on shocks & springs, and we need a serious upgrade on the brakes...and we left a lot of downforce on the table. The motor on the otherhand ran flawlessly for the duration, and we expect to get the same result this year after we freshen it up a little. With expanded support from Factory Five this year, we plan on winning a few races.

P.S. The 933 transmission was sourced on e-bay at the last minute and we didn't even open the case prior to racing it, however the transmission problems came from too much movement in the mounts. This caused the internal problems. So, with some R&D, I think we have a pretty good endurace package - and 95% American Made (we are looking at sourcing a purpose built racing transaxle made here in the states to bring that to 100%).
Old 01-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Wow... amazing results given the nature of the build
Old 01-06-2008, 04:01 PM
irace1
7th Gear

FYI,

Our new website is up and running at:

http://prototypedevelopmentgroup.com/
Old 01-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very fine results for the first time out in a new car. I didn't go this year, heard there was a lot of contact.

I'd like to see the car run, do you guys do any testing at Reno-Fernley?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM
irace1
7th Gear

Reno-Fernley is a good idea! Right now, with our season starting in a month at Infineon, it's A$$ Holes and Elbows getting the car ready.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I must say I am very impressed and just a bit envious as well.

Beautiful car, I wanted to build one so badly I could not stop thinking about it but it was just to big a project to build and maintain it due to my intense work load running my business, sadly I had to give up on the idea.

So, my second choice, I bought a used T1/ST1 work in progress and completing it instead. Pretty decent runner up I must say but still, when I pass the business on to my son, time to step up and have some fun with a GTM

Congradulations on your fine first outing, most excellent!!!!

Rick
Old 01-08-2008, 10:49 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,395 Likes on 748 Posts

Congrats on a great first effort; the GTM has had my eye for a couple of years. Once the kids are out of college and I'm bored ( ) I'm seriously considering building one up.

I'll be watching the GTM forums for more goodies.

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Powered GTM Supercar Finishes 25-Hours of Thunderhill

Quick Reply: Corvette Powered GTM Supercar Finishes 25-Hours of Thunderhill