Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z 6pt Harness Sub-Strap Install HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default C5Z 6pt Harness Sub-Strap Install HELP!!!

I'm installing a Schroth Profi II 6-point harness in the T1 car today. I have a Sparco Evo seat. It looks like the single hole in the seat will work well for the straps to come up through. The problem is - I don't think I can safely attach the sub straps to the unsupported flooring below the seat (it's balsa wood, right?).

There are really just two hard points under the seat, one each at the front and rear mounting points. Neither of those is or could be in line with where Schroth wants the belts mounted - which is basically vertically below the hole in the seat, or up to 20 degrees back from vertical. I'm thinking my only option might be to go way back to the rear hardpoint. Even though this isn't ideal, it seems like it would work okay - though there would be a little extra slack in the anti-sub-straps in the event of a crash, they would still do a pretty good job of holding the lap belts down low around my hips.

Any input is appreciated, I'm busily searching the forum here...
Old 01-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well for what it's worth, I have a 6 point Team Tech and an Ultrashield seat. I have mounted the lap and sub belts on a home crafted steel plate where the rear seat mounts are. One diffrence might be that I have 2 separate holes for the 2 belt sub straps. The subs are anchored the same distance apart as the holes in the seat. I made both the front and rear seat mounts.

good luck
Old 01-12-2008, 05:36 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for the input. I ended up just going ahead and putting the eye-bolts through the rear floor crossmember (between the rear seat-track mounts). It's not ideal as far as the angle, but it's relatively close and should work well.

The only way I can possibly see to get the absolute correct geometry would be to fabricate a plate that mounted to all 4 seat-track mount points and provided the holes in the right spot. Seems heavy, overly elaborate, and probably in the end not any safer/stronger than what I've got.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:20 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mikahb
Thanks for the input. I ended up just going ahead and putting the eye-bolts through the rear floor crossmember (between the rear seat-track mounts). It's not ideal as far as the angle, but it's relatively close and should work well.

The only way I can possibly see to get the absolute correct geometry would be to fabricate a plate that mounted to all 4 seat-track mount points and provided the holes in the right spot. Seems heavy, overly elaborate, and probably in the end not any safer/stronger than what I've got.
I fabricated the B K seatbelt mount to the seat.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I thought GAry@Hardbar made something for the sub belt mount.

check out
www.hardbarusa.com

you might find something...
Old 01-12-2008, 10:37 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I thought GAry@Hardbar made something for the sub belt mount.

check out
www.hardbarusa.com

you might find something...
Yep - I looked at their piece too. It puts the sub-strap mount points right back about in the same place I have them now - reinforcing my thought that even though it's not ideal, this location is workable.

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z 6pt Harness Sub-Strap Install HELP!!!

Quick Reply: C5Z 6pt Harness Sub-Strap Install HELP!!!