Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road course guys - Z51 OEM tires or the Firestones Run-flats OVT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
GunKata
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road course guys - Z51 OEM tires or the Firestones Run-flats OVT?

I did a lot of searching, mostly just saw that the Firestones are quieter and seem "as good if not better" than oem, but no real reference to cars that are tracked on road courses.

Can anyone chime in on how the Firestones compared to the GYS during track events? For the cost difference, if they are about the same performance wise, or even a tad less, I would still rather save the $700-$800.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

John, I think most will recommend not going with a EMT (Run Flat) tire for road course events since they don't provide optimum performance. If you're looking for a dual-use street tire that can also provide really good performance on the track, then take a look at the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD or Falken AZENIS RT-615. Tire pressure sensors (TPS) work with non run-flat tires. Mike
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 PM
GunKata
Pro

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
John, I think most will recommend not going with a EMT (Run Flat) tire for road course events since they don't provide optimum performance. If you're looking for a dual-use street tire that can also provide really good performance on the track, then take a look at the BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KD or Falken AZENIS RT-615. Tire pressure sensors (TPS) work with non run-flat tires. Mike
Thanks, Mike. I know that most would go with a non-runflat, but I do like having them and only plan on tracking about 5-7 times this summer. The issue with non-runflats is - what do u do when you get a flat then? are guys using patch kits? or can you use one extra OEM size rim with tire (perhaps a stock front 18x8.5?) to throw on the car??? I'm just trying to figure out whats best for a guy who wants to track, but only a handful or so times a year, but at the same time doesn't want to be stranded 3 hours from home when I run out to Gingerman or Road America.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

the GY's have rediculous grip and performance for a run flat. Before I traded my c6 in, I went to the firestone tires - the firestones were great for street and much, much quieter. I did not take them on the track, so I cannot comment, but i would assume the performance not to be a good as the GY's (tread wear is higher (less sticky) and the tread is very deep and wide (less stability))

Last edited by Oyishdog; 01-14-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

You have a couple options: (1) C5/C6 Z06 do not have EMT tires. GM provides them a GM Tire Repair Kit #22732102 (Compressor kit w/sealer) for $121.90; or (2) order a matching C6 repro wheel from TomzWheels - do a search on member "TomLzzz" or House of Wheels (both forum vendors) for a very reasonable price with matching tire (for spare). I never used an EMT tire on the track. Hopefully, someone who has will chime in with a recommendation.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 01-14-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
GunKata
Pro

oyishdog, thank you.

Mike, I will have extra rims/tires (if I don't sell them) left over after I purchase new tires for the new rims I just got. Can I use a stock front wheel and tire on the front or back in order to "limp" the car home? is that safe to do? I'd imagine its similar to a normal car using a donut to get home.

Maybe non-runflats and a spare or repair kit is the way to go.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Non run flats are the way to go. But those spare tire inflater kits can gunk up the TPS
Old 01-15-2008, 09:07 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GunKata
I did a lot of searching, mostly just saw that the Firestones are quieter and seem "as good if not better" than oem, but no real reference to cars that are tracked on road courses.

Can anyone chime in on how the Firestones compared to the GYS during track events? For the cost difference, if they are about the same performance wise, or even a tad less, I would still rather save the $700-$800.

Thanks,
John
On my LT4 I ran Firestone SZ50 EPs and they were a great tire, both street and track. Of course this was a few years ago so I can't be certain of their current stock. On my C5 I run Michelin Pilot sports for everyday driving and have taken them on the track once or twice. They are great street tires and were ok on the track but limited in the turns. Generally on the C5 I switch to a set of GY GSD3 non-runflats on extra wheels. Those tires are good street, excellent in rain and good on the track. I carry the C5 Z06 repair/inflator kit and am currently on my second set of D3s.

The C6 Z06 comes with runflats but I recently went to Michelins which don't have matching sizes in runflats so I went to a set of non-runflats; 285 fronts and 345 rears. I understand that Michelin is coming out with Z06 runflats.

If you decided to get an extra set of wheels and mount up non-EMTs you can run them with or without TPS and just carry an inflator/repair kit. For everyday street keep the runflats (but not GY OEMs).
Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

John,
I've worn out almost 4 sets of FS W/O's on my C5Z at the track in the last 2 years, and I think they are not only a great economical tire that will last forever, but it is a great tire for learning car control as well.

There have been alot of debates on CF about why someone would choose the W/O's vs. a better tire like the Goodyear's, and faster lap times will not be one of the strong points of the FS's.

But, if you are looking for a long-lasting tire that gives great feedback, doesn't do anything quirky, and once you master them will give you lap times just a few tenth off what the more expensive tires will do, then I recommend the FS's.

My car is primarily a track-only car and I use Kumho 710's the majority of the time, but I always like to throw on the FS's for a few sessions and have some fun sliding around the track. I can usually embarrass alot of other cars using much stickier rubber with the FS's mounted, and it's nice to know that they will last about 3 times as long as the Goodyears!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

The issue with non-runflats is - what do u do when you get a flat then? are guys using patch kits?
I have a Safety Seal patch kit that I bought a few years ago (OK, maybe more than a few) that I've had to use one time on the Vette. Several times I've plugged tires for other vehicles; the kit works really great, and only once have I had to remove the tire from the vehicle. I use a cheapo WalMart 12v inflator, which also pulls duty trimming tire pressure at my autox events.

Here's a link to the Safety Seal kits, the one I got had 30 plugs in it:

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/autokits.htm

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
GunKata
Pro

guys, big thanks for all the additional replies. Much better response here than in the general section

I'm thinking non-run flats, maybe the BFG KDs or some Kumhos, get a flat repair kit (perhaps the GM one recommended), AND maybe also bring a spare front rim/tire with me to the track, that way it can be used on the front or the back if absolutely needed to limp home. I also have to look into the Falken 6115s because they did not come up as recommended for the C6 on the tirerack site.

As for the TPMS - I heard on the C6 there is no way to get around using them - that the computer/DIC basically freaks out if they are not showing correct pressure, is this true?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:25 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for the TPMS - I heard on the C6 there is no way to get around using them - that the computer/DIC basically freaks out if they are not showing correct pressure, is this true?
I suffered a LF Tire Pressure Sensor failure/flakey behaviour at my last track day. Down right scary. Sensor freaked when I was already doing about 100mph and heading for T10 at Thunderhill... brake, turn-in, and have the car slam on the brakes and then refuse to accelerate out of the corner. I'm very glad I had put some significant distance on the Audi S4 I had just passed because he surely wouldn't have expected me to be doing 45mph where I'm typically doing much more.

So that was 3 working sensors and one that would send 0psi or wouldn't train with the Bartec or ... some folks say if the car can't communicate with any of your sensors it'll leave you alone. I haven't any experience with that because I couldn't find a way to make the car forget about the sensors it already knew about with the simple Bartec tool. Aaron Pfadt suggested a Tech2 might work for that.

David Bonar at Northstar Corvettes in Mountain View, CA thought he saw something in the Technical Manuals about disabling the entire system but I haven't got the procedure from him as when he got in touch with me during that Thunderhill day the sensor had magically come back to life for a couple of sessions. Other folks have said similar about a way to disable it, but I don't know if that comes as part of a "tune" or something you access through the DIC...

IMO, running a C6 with a functional Tire Pressure Monitoring System on track that lets the car decide when it's going to force a "Reduced Handling" mode is pretty damn dangerous. GM needs to do something about this and give us a way to disable it. I'll still do it, of course, but right now I'm scrambling to get my TP sensor issue sorted for Spring Mountain...
Old 01-15-2008, 04:15 PM
GunKata
Pro

Scary stuff, and your right, there should be a away to disable/override it.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

guys, big thanks for all the additional replies. Much better response here than in the general section
In here we USE and highly ABUSE STUFF, not just WAX the corvette.

If something works great we will tell the world. if its junk, well we tell the world too
Old 01-15-2008, 06:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

There is a way. Friend of mine here in raleigh has made severl.

He took a 3" diameter PVC pipe about 12" long. and two end caps that could be unscrewed. Drilled 4 holes in so the Schaider of the TPS valve could come though the side of the pipe. sealed the valve with silicone.

Labled each valve with its # and RF, LF, RR, LR

Made the pipe air tight. put in 32 psi in the pipe. Mounted the pipe between the two seats, under a harness bar. in back.

Then Programed each TPS. Works like a charm

and can switch wheels at will as the TPS pipe, never leaves the car and always reads 32 psi.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 PM
GunKata
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
In here we USE and highly ABUSE STUFF, not just WAX the corvette.

If something works great we will tell the world. if its junk, well we tell the world too
this is true, I'm glad to find other guys who really use these badboys for what they are made for, not garage queens I've tracked a few different cars, but this one has definitely been the overall favorite -for a few reasons

And thank you again for the TPMS info - that is .... interesting! haha, and definitely something to think about.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 PM
GunKata
Pro

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I suffered a LF Tire Pressure Sensor failure/flakey behaviour at my last track day. Down right scary. Sensor freaked when I was already doing about 100mph and heading for T10 at Thunderhill... brake, turn-in, and have the car slam on the brakes and then refuse to accelerate out of the corner. I'm very glad I had put some significant distance on the Audi S4 I had just passed because he surely wouldn't have expected me to be doing 45mph where I'm typically doing much more.

So that was 3 working sensors and one that would send 0psi or wouldn't train with the Bartec or ... some folks say if the car can't communicate with any of your sensors it'll leave you alone. I haven't any experience with that because I couldn't find a way to make the car forget about the sensors it already knew about with the simple Bartec tool. Aaron Pfadt suggested a Tech2 might work for that.

David Bonar at Northstar Corvettes in Mountain View, CA thought he saw something in the Technical Manuals about disabling the entire system but I haven't got the procedure from him as when he got in touch with me during that Thunderhill day the sensor had magically come back to life for a couple of sessions. Other folks have said similar about a way to disable it, but I don't know if that comes as part of a "tune" or something you access through the DIC...

IMO, running a C6 with a functional Tire Pressure Monitoring System on track that lets the car decide when it's going to force a "Reduced Handling" mode is pretty damn dangerous. GM needs to do something about this and give us a way to disable it. I'll still do it, of course, but right now I'm scrambling to get my TP sensor issue sorted for Spring Mountain...
Thank you, please let me know if you hear anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Road course guys - Z51 OEM tires or the Firestones Run-flats OVT?

Old 01-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

3" diameter PVC pipe about 12" long. and two end caps that could be unscrewed. Drilled 4 holes in so the Schaider of the TPS valve could come though the side of the pipe. sealed the valve with silicone.

Labled each valve with its # and RF, LF, RR, LR Made the pipe air tight. put in 32 psi in the pipe. Mounted the pipe between the two seats, under a harness bar. in back. Then Programed each TPS.
Tom, very clever! I have TPS in all my wheels - even the track wheels, but that is an interesting solution. Mike
Old 01-15-2008, 10:55 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a way. Friend of mine here in raleigh has made severl.

He took a 3" diameter PVC pipe about 12" long. and two end caps that could be unscrewed. Drilled 4 holes in so the Schaider of the TPS valve could come though the side of the pipe. sealed the valve with silicone.

Labled each valve with its # and RF, LF, RR, LR

Made the pipe air tight. put in 32 psi in the pipe. Mounted the pipe between the two seats, under a harness bar. in back.

Then Programed each TPS. Works like a charm

and can switch wheels at will as the TPS pipe, never leaves the car and always reads 32 psi.
This is a great solution for not putting TPS in all your wheels and buying a Bartec tool... right until you have the issue I have/had... my sensor was starting to fail so sometimes it would read 0psi, other times it wouldn't talk, and other times it was accurate. If any of the sensors in the tube started to flake out in the same way you'd be back to the failure mode I encountered... we still need a solution to turn off the Reduce Handling mode...
Old 01-27-2008, 01:20 PM
GunKata
Pro

Guys, a few new concerns. Lowering a Z51 - seems like that may not be a good idea based on some posts and threads I've seen on here while researching. Literally only thinking of doing 2.5 turns front and back and it doesn't look too low. Should I be staying with stock ride height for optimal performance or can someone point me in the right direction with that? if I go lowered, the main consensus is that it would require an alignment as well.

Brakes - I had an instructor say that the stock brakes should be good, just upgrade pads. For the Z51, do most of you find this true or should I eventually be looking at upgrading to a BBK - Brembo, Wilwood, or Z06 takeoffs? I typically drive my car at 7/10ths to 8/10ths as this is an expensive toy to wreck.

Lastly, although Too Tall Bob has been great with giving me info on the Firestones, I am still on the fence between those and the KDW2s that are on Tirerack. I could always bring a spare rim and tire with me to the track either way.

What say you guys? thanks for all your help on here, this board has been very good.

Quick Reply: Road course guys - Z51 OEM tires or the Firestones Run-flats OVT?