Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing Goes Green with E85

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Racing Goes Green with E85

Corvette Racing Goes Green with E85 Ethanol Fuel in 2008 American Le Mans Series

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...42582#contacts

Chevrolet Factory Team to Demonstrate Performance and Environmental Benefits of E85 Ethanol in 12-Race Series

DETROIT - Corvette Racing will be powered by E85 ethanol, a high-octane, renewable alternative fuel, in the 2008 American Le Mans Series. As part of the series' "green racing" initiative, the most successful team in ALMS history will use a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline in the demanding arena of endurance road racing.

After winning its seventh consecutive GT1 manufacturers and team championships in 2007 using E10 (10 percent ethanol), Corvette Racing's twin Compuware C6.R race cars will make the transition to E85 for the 2008 season.

"Since its inception, Corvette has always been a platform for Chevrolet and GM to introduce and develop new technology," Chevrolet general manager Ed Peper said during today's announcement at the North American International Auto Show. "Like the Corvette Z06 E85 concept car that will pace the 2008 Indianapolis 500, the use of E85 ethanol fuel by America's premier production sports car racing team in a high-profile, high-tech racing series like the ALMS shows that Chevy is continuing to lead by example.

"By showcasing the capabilities of E85 ethanol before an audience of knowledgeable and technically astute race fans, we can demonstrate the benefits of a renewable fuel that helps to reduce dependence on petroleum, helps to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, and helps to create greater diversity in energy supplies," Peper said. "Of course, performance is what counts in racing, so E85 ethanol's higher octane rating than gasoline wasn't overlooked by the Corvette Racing engineers."

Corvette Racing has formed a technical partnership with the Ethanol Promotion and Information Council (EPIC) to spotlight E85 in the ALMS. EPIC worked with ALMS officials to make E85 the fuel of choice for the series. E85 today is primarily made with grain-based ethanol that reduces carbon dioxide emissions by as much as 29 percent compared with pure gasoline.

E85 ethanol already is an option for millions of everyday drivers - and GM leads the automotive industry with more than 2.5 million E85-capable cars, trucks and SUVs on the road in the United States. GM produces about 400,000 E85-capable vehicles a year and will double that to 800,000 a year by 2010. Chevrolet offers seven E85-capable models in 2008.

"This is the first time a racing series has made a commitment to E85; the highest performing fuel available to consumers with flex-fuel vehicles," said Reece Nanfito, senior director of marketing for EPIC. "Our partnership with GM and Corvette Racing demonstrates ethanol's growing relevance in the consumer market."

Corvette Racing's transition from E10 to E85 ethanol will be seamless, according to Steve Wesoloski, GM Road Racing Group manager. "The race cars' fuel systems were already 100 percent compatible with ethanol," he said, "so our preparation for the change to E85 in 2008 basically comes down to recalibrating the engines.

"GM Racing has had an interest in 'green racing' initiatives worldwide for some time," Wesoloski said. "In 2007, Corvette Racing won the Michelin Energy Endurance Challenge in the GT1 class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the most efficient use of fuel during the race. We've participated in discussions with SAE International, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the U.S. Department of Energy on programs to increase environmental awareness through racing. When it became apparent that the ALMS was going in this direction as well, the decision to use Chevrolet's factory Corvette Racing team to demonstrate both the alternative fuel technology that's available within GM and the capabilities of E85 ethanol was a logical step."

Corvette Racing is targeting the season-opening round of the 12-race series, the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, on March 15, 2008, for the debut of its E85-powered race cars.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world's largest automaker, has been the annual global industry sales leader for 76 years. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 280,000 people around the world. With global headquarters in Detroit, GM manufactures its cars and trucks in 33 countries. In 2006, nearly 9.1 million GM cars and trucks were sold globally under the following brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling. GM's OnStar subsidiary is the industry leader in vehicle safety, security and information services. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

The Ethanol Promotion and Information Council is a nonprofit organization of ethanol producers and industry leaders who have come together to spread the word about the benefits of ethanol through information and promotional programs. To learn more about ethanol, visit www.drivingethanol.org.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:44 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I read that E85 brings with it less horsepower, and worse fuel economy? Will they be lobbying for larger fuel tanks and less inlet restrictor now?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I thought I read that E85 brings with it less horsepower, and worse fuel economy? Will they be lobbying for larger fuel tanks and less inlet restrictor now?
lower fuel mileage yes...higher HP & TQ ...remember E85 is essentially moonshine...100+ octane baby
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome, I wish they'd open some more E85 stations

It's a higher octane but yes less mileage. Also costs less.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:04 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Politics and performance in agreement, how many times does that happen???

I'll leave now before I get on my E10/E85 soapbox.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-15-2008, 02:24 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there goes the price of milk more corn feed gone!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
you don't actually expect people to consider every cost do you?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanized
That's awesome, I wish they'd open some more E85 stations

Also costs less.
No, I think it actually costs more. Remove the gov't subsidies, and we'll see the actual costs.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:31 PM
mpowers
Advanced

Actually sugar cane produces 2x the amount of E85 than corn per acre, source national geographic, don't know why were stuck on the corn thing. South America figured this out a long time ago. And the engine will have to be built to run E85 to produce the same hp vs gas, with less mileage per gallon. But I'm all for it once they figure out how to produce mass amounts cheaply.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of my favorite movie lines of all time.

"BS, BS, BS, BS, BS"

Since cattle love to eat corn, it only follows that it would be easy to feed and watch them swallow all the corn fed BS in this country which is certainly full of said "cattle" just waiting to be milked, again and again and again.

Can't we just use common sense, logic and reason at least once in awhile!

------------------

Stepping down from the box, I love the "idea", just not the reality of the situation when it comes to real world use of alternative fuels. If it can be done right then I am all for it.

Rick
Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

If the price of E85 ever gets really low I would convert my car over to it. The computer has to be A/F re-tuned and your fuel system parts must be able to tolerate E85, not to big of a deal with my old car.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
yeah...its going to get a lot worse!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Falcon
No, I think it actually costs more. Remove the gov't subsidies, and we'll see the actual costs.
touche' !!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by raam
One of my favorite movie lines of all time.

"BS, BS, BS, BS, BS"

Since cattle love to eat corn, it only follows that it would be easy to feed and watch them swallow all the corn fed BS in this country which is certainly full of said "cattle" just waiting to be milked, again and again and again.

Can't we just use common sense, logic and reason at least once in awhile!

------------------

Stepping down from the box, I love the "idea", just not the reality of the situation when it comes to real world use of alternative fuels. If it can be done right then I am all for it.

Rick
one way we will have to solve the shortage of corn and maze for cattle feed is to all become vegetarians and stop buying steak!

then E85 will be affordable!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready

VP Racing Fuels
NEW! MOTORSPORT 109E
MS109E is designed for the same applications as Motorsport 109, offering the same substantial power increases and protection against detonation. Oxygenated with ethanol, MS109E can be used in all 50 states, including those that restrict the use of MTBE in fuels.

Produces more power than any other unleaded fuel. Recommended for higher boost applications with CRs up to 11:1 or naturally aspirated engines up to 13:1.

• Color: Yellow
• Motor Octane: 99
• Oxygenated: Yes
• Specific Gravity: .805 at 60° F

Not your normal E85 fuel
Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
If the price of E85 ever gets really low I would convert my car over to it. The computer has to be A/F re-tuned and your fuel system parts must be able to tolerate E85, not to big of a deal with my old car.
its as cheap as it will ever be....unless you have a still ! yeehaww!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a good article in my latest issue of Hot Rog magazine about E85. Yes the octane is 100+ but it takes more E85 to produce same HP (or said another way, gallon to gallon E85 produces less HP than gasoline). That's why fuel mileage goes down with E85.

They also said E85 can sometimes be as low as E70 (thus reducing octane) depending on time of year. As I recall they put in more gasoline when it gets colder.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing Goes Green with E85

Old 01-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
its as cheap as it will ever be....unless you have a still ! yeehaww!!!!!
I read a recent article about it being $1 per gallon.

http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1286/

It's about the Coskata process that GM is promoting.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well boys, forget the wonderful smell of racing fuel. And welcome in the age of smelling french fries at every race
Old 01-15-2008, 05:34 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well,
Inbetween the shop and my house is all corn fields. I'm not a huge fan of E85 because it's is a bandaid for our root issue. But it could spring off into something else. I saw on the News that they are starting to grow this 4 foot weed that grows like 4 times in a mid-west session. It is cheaper and better, and doesn't have so many food cost problems. We will be seeing more stuff like this over the next 10 years. Too bad I will be sneezing like crazy when they start growing that around here.

Randy
PS The dirt trackers around here, run it like they drink moonshine.

Quick Reply: Corvette Racing Goes Green with E85