Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried the C6/Z06 Big Brake Upgrade on a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Has anyone tried the C6/Z06 Big Brake Upgrade on a C5?

Thanks for stepping in!

Since my blower install I find myself running out of brake (big time) in the canyons (still running stock C5 stuff), the C6/Z06 brake upgrade for the C5 (includes C6/Z06 rotors, calipers, pads, braided hoses and Motul brake fluid) and looks like a very good value at around $2,400.00.

Has anyone upgraded a C5 with the C6/Z06 brake/rotor upgrade and what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your feedback, Rick

P.S. Yes, I know this upgrade requires an 18in front rim, not an issue in my case.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:10 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe slow down "in the canyons"

i'd try a different pad in your current brakes first.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:52 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

with wally

slow down

Or Better brake pads and NEW brake fluid
Old 01-19-2008, 06:33 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

First off I am an advocate of keeping high performance on the track !! In any case - The best way to go for starters would be to upgrade your pads to a mid level CarboTech or Hawk. Change out the fluid to Motul or other high temp fluid and flush the entire system. Add cooling to the fronts with spindle ducts and front ducts. Those mods should be fine for almost anything you would see on the street. For a little more $ there are several step up options. The LG motorsports Wilwood front kit works well. StopTech for a few more $ works great.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
with wally

slow down

Or Better brake pads and NEW brake fluid

I'm with Tom who is with Wally so I guess I'm with Wally too.

Canyons suck they may kill ya!

I think most here would not recommend buying then to replace C5 brakes

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-19-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

I appreciate the advice guys, anyone out there who has actually tried this conversion? That`s the info I`m really looking for.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rag-Top Rick
I appreciate the advice guys, anyone out there who has actually tried this conversion? That`s the info I`m really looking for.
some have done it search in C5 tech. I think more for looks than performance.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Aggie #5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6Z brakes on C5Z

I have the upgrade on my 04Z and IMO it is the best mod you can do to a C5Z if you are doing track days. There are better brakes but for the money they are hard to beat.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Forum member rudyarias has done it to his 02Z and has good things to say about them.
IMH it would all depend on cost, don't only look at the initial cost look at the cost of replacement parts, pads and rotors.
The LG set-up would probably be a better idea for the money.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I'd PM jbsblownc5 about this - super nice guy. He's been running a blower in the canyons for a long time.
Here's a link for his profile-> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/member.php?u=14190
Old 01-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bink
I'd PM jbsblownc5 about this - super nice guy. He's been running a blower in the canyons for a long time.
Here's a link for his profile-> http://forums.corvetteforum.com/member.php?u=14190

Thanks for the additional feedback guys!
Many in the group I run with have stepped up from C5/Z06`s to C6/Z06`s and have raved about the superior brakes on their C6/Z`s (on the track & the street,) I can get this entire conversion for about $2k so I think it would be an excellent alternative to the much pricer after market kits.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:18 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rag-Top Rick
Thanks for the additional feedback guys!
Many in the group I run with have stepped up from C5/Z06`s to C6/Z06`s and have raved about the superior brakes on their C6/Z`s (on the track & the street,) I can get this entire conversion for about $2k so I think it would be an excellent alternative to the much pricer after market kits.
you can get Wilwood for 1500 from LGM
Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

C6Z brakes are great street brakes, but suck for longevity at the track (thin pad material on the padletts). The larger brakes will hold more heat and allow you to stop harder for a longer period of time, but the oem C5 brakes can deliver all the stopping force you tires can use with a simple pad upgrade.

Throw in some mid level pads (not full out racing pads) and try that first, you'll be shocked.

C6Z brakes are overkill for the street, and not adequate for real track use.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Rag-Top Rick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
C6Z brakes are great street brakes, but suck for longevity at the track (thin pad material on the padletts). The larger brakes will hold more heat and allow you to stop harder for a longer period of time, but the oem C5 brakes can deliver all the stopping force you tires can use with a simple pad upgrade.

Throw in some mid level pads (not full out racing pads) and try that first, you'll be shocked.

C6Z brakes are overkill for the street, and not adequate for real track use.
I`ve got some new unused C5/Z06 rotors sitting on the bench (thanks ROHO), I`ll take yours/others advice and give those a try with some mid-level pads and see how that works before making the jump, thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a C6Z track junkie, I can say that I tolerate them and never had a problem with saftey, just pad wear rate. But If I had $2000+ dollars, I would buy something else or wait until I could save more. I think Stoptechs are like $3000
Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, everything I've read has been negative about the C6Z brakes... I'd go another route. I'd also bet dollars to donuts that if the original poster bled his brakes properly, added some brake cooling ducts, braided lines and the proper pads, he'd be able to outbrake a stock Z06, But the C6Z brakes "look" cool.

Mike
Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
best way to go for starters would be to upgrade your pads to a mid level CarboTech or Hawk. Change out the fluid to Motul or other high temp fluid and flush the entire system. Add cooling to the fronts with spindle ducts and front ducts. Those mods should be fine for almost anything you would see on the street. The LG motorsports Wilwood front kit works well.

I just had a set of LG motorsports Wilwood front brakes installed for the '08 track season. I'm looking forward to pushing them hard and provide feedback. Good price for the quality, performance and ability to use stock rotors

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone tried the C6/Z06 Big Brake Upgrade on a C5?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Forum member rudyarias has done it to his 02Z and has good things to say about them.
IMH it would all depend on cost, don't only look at the initial cost look at the cost of replacement parts, pads and rotors.
The LG set-up would probably be a better idea for the money.
I have them on both my C5 Z06s. I did have pad wear issues at first. I experimented and found that 2MM thicker pads (courtesy of CarboTech) eliminated the wear issues most have complain about on this forum. Also I just had Stainless Steel pistons made for the front calipers (courtesy of Elite Engineering) with the rears to follow. I like the brake feel and torque produced by the multiple pad set up over the C5 single pad floating calipers.

A blower on the car does put a different perspective and brings issues (mainly heat) if you plan on driving at road course events. The more horsepower, the smoother you will have to be on the track.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM THAT WE HAVE WITH THE C6 Z06 COMES FROM THE BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I THINK IT WOULD BE A REALLY BAD MOVE TO PUT THEM ON A C5 FOR ANYTHING MORE THAN A FASHION STATEMENT IF YOU ARE GOING TO PRESS HARD ON A ROAD COURSE.

FOR WAY LESS THAN $3000 i COULD GET YOU INTO BAER MONO BLOCK EXTREEM PLUS FRONT BRAKES THAT WILL OUT PREFORM THE Z BRAKES BY FAR. iF YOU HAVE THE WILD HAIR, YOU CAN PUT YOUR C5 FRONT CALIPERS ON THE REAR (IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR MASTER CYLINDER).
Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
As a C6Z track junkie, I can say that I tolerate them and never had a problem with saftey, just pad wear rate. But If I had $2000+ dollars, I would buy something else or wait until I could save more. I think Stoptechs are like $3000
From the man who pulls no punches.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried the C6/Z06 Big Brake Upgrade on a C5?