Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this alignment done correctly?? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 PM
bikeone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this alignment done correctly?? Pics

2002 Z06. Just had this done after lowering it down. Are these #'s OK??
Asked for less aggressive setup as we do not have many corners in Florida. Looks to me that they are more??

Thanks

Re done, thank you for the specs. I gave him your posts!!! He said you were brutal, but right. Again, thanks so much....

Last edited by bikeone; 01-23-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: new pic of job re-done
Old 01-22-2008, 12:40 AM
carnut101
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would refuse to pay if they handed me a printout with those numbers. There are no excuses for a difference of 0.6 degrees in camber when you have a laser to tell you how far off you are. You had a lazy guy doing your alignment that didnt want to take the time to get both sides equal.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carnut101
I would refuse to pay if they handed me a printout with those numbers. There are no excuses for a difference of 0.6 degrees in camber when you have a laser to tell you how far off you are. You had a lazy guy doing your alignment that didnt want to take the time to get both sides equal.

I have to agree with Carnut101, that looks absolutley terrible and I would ask for a refund or make it right. Atleast get an equal 1.5 neg front and 1.0 rear. That should be good for street driving and if you want to track it hard, I would go 2.5 front and 1.6 rear.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Aaron Quine
Old 01-22-2008, 01:24 AM
carnut101
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rasrboy
...get an equal 1.5 neg front and 1.0 rear. That should be good for street driving...
Wouldn't he want less negative camber on the front so it pushes a little? (safer for having a little bit of fun on the streets)
Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

That alignment is JUNK!!!

We, at MSI, align over 250 Corvettes each year.

If one of my guys came in and showed me that as their finished product, I would need to offer a bit of "pre-termination" counciling.

Here are some mild settings that would work fine on the street and give you extended tire wear on a C5.

Front
Caster 7.8 or less (C5s with 8 degrees of caster that are driven hard will tend to burn up the power steering, don't ask me how I know)
Camber -0.7 to -0.8, same on both sides
Toe in 0.05 to 0.10 on each side
Rear
Camber -0.5 to -0.6
Toe in 0.05
Old 01-22-2008, 06:27 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did he have a mask and a gun when you paid him? If you go back for your money do the same, mask and a gun so he knows how it feels to be robbed!

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-22-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

unfortunately, that is within the GM specified tolerances. However, if you want it done better you pretty much have to insists UPFRONT that you want it within .1 deg, .2 degree, etc.

Anway, you won't really see much difference in real life, but for the best alignments, you need to either learn to do it yourself, or work with people (like myself) that will only settle for the best.

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf
Old 01-22-2008, 10:02 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Well, I'll add my voice to the chorus of boo's for the work you had done.

One other thing: since you don't expect to be tracking or autocrossing your car, have whoever cleans this mess up to use stock C5 coupe alignment settings, that'll work well for cruising the streets.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

here's OEM specs. There's 0.6deg allowance in front, 0.5 in rear. Cars come from the factory all over the place.

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/alignment.htm

And I prefer 0 toe, or slight toe OUT in the front. For a street car, ZERO is best
Old 01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, bad allignment. I guess you are feeling pretty bad at this point. So instead of beating your up some more, here is a tip. To find a good local shop, go to the local SCCA autocross forum in you region and start asking who they go to for allignments. The auto-X guys are VERY particular about their allignments and they will guide you to a shop that understands your goals. Pheonix is about 70 miles from me which is OK once a year but too far to go everytime. I use a local shop in NJ outside of Philly that does an EXCELLENT job. They take up to 3 hours to allign the car.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

it's really not that bad, just dial the front left camber back down, and re-set the toe. I could do it in 15minutes with a jack and a few hand tools.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM
bikeone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the info and advise. The funny thing is that this guy is a member of a Corvette club, owns a C5 and work was done at a Chevy dealership!!! I had to drive 45 mins. to get there. Now, the service manager said very sorry, bring it back as even the steering wheel is not straight when going straight
Again, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Is this alignment done correctly?? Pics

Quick Reply: Is this alignment done correctly?? Pics