Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autox'ers What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
NJREDZ06
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autox'ers What do you use?

AUTOX'ers

What do you use? for numbering and lettering during an event?

blue tape? Static cling numbers? Vinyl decals?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:36 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had a local graphics/sign shop makeup a set of static-cling decals. The numbers are 8" high and the class letters are 6" high. The numbers are on a clear backer so when they are installed, all you see is the numbers.

Static cling is easy to install and remove and if you keep them clean, they will outlast the removeable vinyl adhesive decals.

You can also find number sets and assorted graphics at SoloTime
Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Reusable vinyl from iZoomGraphics. Set of three numbers for both sides of your car for only $26. I used one set for ten events and removed them after each event.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
QwickerRon
Racer

Static Clings. Any sign shop can make them. Cost in the
30.00 - 40.00 range for 6"-8" numbers. Spray mixture of water and a small amount of wash liquid on car and affix day prior to event. They'll adhere at any speed and rain wont take them off. Pull off and reapply to backing for next events use.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
QwickerRon
Racer

Static Clings. Any sign shop can make them. Cost in the 30.00 - 40.00 range for 6"-8" numbers. Spray mixture of water and a small amount of wash liquid on car and affix day prior to event. They'll adhere at high speed and rain wont take them off. Pull off and reapply to backing for next events use.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used everything over the years. Static cling, reusable vinyl, blue tape, and reusable bumper film. They all work for the intended purpose.

Now I use static cling from solotime.com for my usual local events where I have a year long number and for nationals so the car looks good for all those pictures!

I carry blue painters tape for those non-local events (Porsche club etc.) when they assign you some screwy number and some class letters that you've never heard of...what is XM1, and why am I now running in the same class as Mark Daddio?

And I carry reusable bumper film from the office store, and a pair of scissors for those emergencies where the number blows off or I need a quick number 1 for a co-driver.

But in short, anything that the course workers can see is just fine.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Idavette98
Racer

iZoom reuseable vinyl works great for me.....

Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 AM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had edecals.com make my numbers and letters and went to a local shop and bought some static cling. Perfect!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Static cling for me, made at a local sign shop. 8" vinyl numbers on a clear sheet have lasted for five years autocrossing. I stick mine on dry, just clean the door surface and the back of the numbers, and put a strip of blue 3M electrical tape on the leading edge.

This picture is from the first year I had them, but they look 95+% as good now as then:

Here's a bit fuzzier picture from last year:

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-24-2008, 09:35 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought a roll of blue painters tape at the begining of the season and it lasted me the whole year. Granted may not look as great but dose the job. This next year i'm thinking about just putting vinyl Numbers and class on since about the only time i get to run the car is for AX or Road raceing granted i know the numbers are permanit but i have some found some white tape to match the car not to mention i'll have some extra strips of vinyl made up to make some diffrent letters.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 AM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

Go to Wal-Mart and get a roll of shelf paper in the color you want. It will stick fine and come off with out a problem when you want it to. I stick it on a piece of plexe when I'm done with it and it last for about 5 events then I just make more. I'll get 2 to 3 years out of 1 $8 roll.
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Autox'ers What do you use?

Quick Reply: Autox'ers What do you use?