Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:52 AM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hans purchase

Since I need to purchase a hans and new full face helmet as required by NASA this year has anyone compared pricing?? If so who appears to be the least expensive?? Would prefer a forum on NASA Sponsor. Has anyone considered a GROUP PURCHASE??
I can be reached directly at orawiecs33@comcast.net

Rudy R Orawiec
#33 ST2
Yellow 91 C4 Corvette
NASA Great Lakes Region
Old 01-25-2008, 11:02 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Try ApexPerformance.net

Linda is amazing, and if you want to start a GB she'd be more than happy to help with that.

Originally Posted by The Bus
Since I need to purchase a hans and new full face helmet as required by NASA this year has anyone compared pricing?? If so who appears to be the least expensive?? Would prefer a forum on NASA Sponsor. Has anyone considered a GROUP PURCHASE??
I can be reached directly at orawiecs33@comcast.net

Rudy R Orawiec
#33 ST2
Yellow 91 C4 Corvette
NASA Great Lakes Region
Old 01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question, do you need a specific helmet for HANS or does it retro-fit to any helmet?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Question, do you need a specific helmet for HANS or does it retro-fit to any helmet?
I'm not an expert, but the mounts, that connect the hans to the helmet are mounted with a bolt though the helment. I'd "assume" that as long as its the normal shape around the attachment points (ie none of that funky aero stuff) you'll be fine. Took linda 10min to install the mounts on my bell.

Edit:
Linda is a nasa sponsor.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
drbenne
Instructor

I also used Apex Performance. I bought a bell M4 and the hans. they did all the he.met mods for the hans and even thru in a helmet and hans cover. great service and best price.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

C5Stein sells them here most any helmet will do.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:47 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Rudy, Apex handed out $20 coupons at Nationals...did you happen to grab one?

Me and one other person would be interested in the GP if you get one going.

See you in ST2!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:38 PM
The Bus
Pro

I'm going to let this stew at least over the weekend to see how many people are interested. I also have this posted on the Great Lakes Region NASA forum. If we can get enough interest I [ if someone else wants to it's fine with me ] can contact some suppliers. As before I can be reached at orawiecs33@comcast.net.

No I did not get a $20 coupon at the Nationals. Rats $^&*&()+_)(*&^&

Have a extreme case of cabin fever
Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I would be interested in the group purchase.

Hans Sport Series 20
Not sure what size yet.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
jpobrien
Instructor

I'm interested in a medium size 20 sport series with the sliding tether.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95jersey
It will work with any full face.

I've installed 5 or 6, takes a wopping 10 to 15 minutes. All you need is a drill and some masking tape. A special wrench comes with the HANS that silps between the liner and the shell.

Hopefully you're going to use a HANS with a good quality helmit.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:13 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
Hopefully you're going to use a HANS with a good quality helmit.
I'm using a hockey helmet from when I used to ride the short bus...

Sorry about the coupon comment, I just grabbed mine and is was Argent Labs, not Apex.

Although they have the Hutchins device. I don't see HANS. They are all SFI 38.1 compliant, though.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:54 AM
The Bus
Pro

Bump
Old 01-27-2008, 06:34 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

just bought my hans from apex and found out there about 3 miles fro my house!!best price!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

We could offer some kind of special. Especially if you are buying a HANS and a Helmet.

The biggest problem in sales on HANS is that all HANS dealers signed an agreement that we wouldn't sell below HANS internet price.

The GP that we offered last year was that we would pay any and all applicable shipping and tax. I will offer that again, no problem.

The new Sport 20 degree models are supposed to begin shipping this week.

The sliding tethers are not due to begin shipping for a few more weeks. Figure mid to late February on those.

If you buy a helmet and a HANS from MSI, I'll mount the HANS anchors for free. We currently stock Pyrotect and Zamp Helmets, and offer Bell and Sparco as well. If there are a few of you interested in Impact Helmets, shoes, suits... I'm trying to figure up a buy-in order with them. If you help me, I'll help you.

BIG WORD OF WARNING - If you have HANS anchors (in your helmet), and the HANS was purchased prior to January 2008 and you decide to try one of your buddies new HANS devices with the sliding tethers, then you need to know that you need to change your anchor base nuts (that go between your helmet liner and the shell). The test results show that the tension load that a heavy impact can present to the anchors (if the driver's head is turned) can rip the old style base nuts right through the fiberglass of the helmet. I believe that all HANS devices shipping after 1/1/2008 will automatically come with a larger diameter base nut. All sliding tether systems retrofit kits will also ship with the larger base nuts.

We are also motorola dealers and can set you (your helmet, car and crew) up with radios. It is easier to have the guy installing your HANS anchors, be the same guy that installs your in helmet wiring harness and mic.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM
The Bus
Pro

Will the person who gave me info on possible supplier on group purchase please send me your # again. I accidentally erased your E Mail. Rats. Orawiecs33@comcast.net
Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 PM
The Bus
Pro

I find after some research that Hans requires a miminum price on their product. I contacted Linda at www.apexperformance.net and she also confirmed that requirement. She did however say if we get 15 people that also buy a new helmet she can give us a break on the helmets. My self I'm buying a new helmet. If you go with them let her know that we are the group from NASA/Corvette Forum. Use my name to remind her who we are.

Rudy R Orawiec
Running in NASA
ST2 91 C4

Get notified of new replies

To Hans purchase

Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C5stein
We could offer some kind of special. Especially if you are buying a HANS and a Helmet.

The biggest problem in sales on HANS is that all HANS dealers signed an agreement that we wouldn't sell below HANS internet price.

The GP that we offered last year was that we would pay any and all applicable shipping and tax. I will offer that again, no problem.

The sliding tethers are not due to begin shipping for a few more weeks. Figure mid to late February on those.

If you buy a helmet and a HANS from MSI, I'll mount the HANS anchors for free. We currently stock Pyrotect and Zamp Helmets, and offer Bell and Sparco as well. If there are a few of you interested in Impact Helmets, shoes, suits... I'm trying to figure up a buy-in order with them. If you help me, I'll help you.

BIG WORD OF WARNING - If you have HANS anchors (in your helmet), and the HANS was purchased prior to January 2008 and you decide to try one of your buddies new HANS devices with the sliding tethers, then you need to know that you need to change your anchor base nuts (that go between your helmet liner and the shell). The test results show that the tension load that a heavy impact can present to the anchors (if the driver's head is turned) can rip the old style base nuts right through the fiberglass of the helmet. I believe that all HANS devices shipping after 1/1/2008 will automatically come with a larger diameter base nut. All sliding tether systems retrofit kits will also ship with the larger base nuts.

We are also motorola dealers and can set you (your helmet, car and crew) up with radios. It is easier to have the guy installing your HANS anchors, be the same guy that installs your in helmet wiring harness and mic.
Is the older style NG or is it just if you mix old and new? How much is an upgrade to the newer style if it is required? Thanks~
Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C5stein

You will be getting a call from me someday pretty soon. My last weekend crash caused some concern about keeping my head on and things like that. Plus my helment doesn't look the best after it banged around the cockpit. I took a small peice of the out shell off, that means in the garbage it will go!

Randy
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

John - The pre-2008 helmet anchor base nuts are fine when used with fixed length tethers. This is because they predominately work in shear not tension. The sliding tethers allow a greater tension load, if the driver has their head turned durring impact, which in extreem conditions can cause the base nut to pull through the helmet.

There is no need to upgrade base nuts unless you switch to the sliding tether. The sliding tether retrofit kit (which includes larger diameter base nuts are $75.

Don't forget that you can also get gel padding for your HANS. I've upgraded and they are alot more comfortable.

We also have helmet bags on our website that have enough room for your helmet as well as your HANS. http://www.motorsportimage.com/c-230...race-gear.aspx

Randy - I'm glad to hear that you are okay. I'll talk to you soon.

Quick Reply: Hans purchase