Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have a TV in your garage?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Do you have a TV in your garage?

I'm spending so much time out there I'm considering a 19" flat panel TV of some sort and getting another direct TV box. I allready have an old "garage" laptop using my wifi to surf the net and play my XM radio over the web (laptop hooked into my stereo).

Any pics of your setup?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

TV, Laptop with Verizon Internet, Microwave Oven, CD Stereo System - ya gotta be comfortable when playing with your toys!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang...you're set up Mike. I just recently got a portable heater to put in the garage to help me want to get out there in this frigid weather.

If I had all that, I proably wouldn't mind it as much..
Old 01-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

My garage doors suck and aren't sealed so I gave up on the heat... I just wear one of my 2 "car" hoodies that are for working on cars and a ski hat and go to town.

I do have a small heater that runs off the gas bottle from my grill, but it takes forever to heat up the garage and most of that heat escapes.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Take a look at this reasonably priced Vent-Free 28K BTU Propane Garage Heater.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Cool... I'll keep that in mind for next year... but I'm good to go for now... on the really cold nights I fire up my POS heater and it works good enough.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:32 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

OK, how do I get the cable TV signal to my (separate) garage? Is there some wireless gizmo that I can go the 30-40 feet from the house to the garage without running a cable?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I don't think so... because then everyone could steal the signal... which is why the cable company comes out to your house and hooks it all up.

But I really have no clue.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

2 electric heaters, long johns, sweatshirt, and a hat.. Thats been what I've worn for the last week when working on the car.

As for my garage... i have a latop that runs for about min on battery playing pandora.com... and wireless for posting stupid questions
Old 01-25-2008, 01:47 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

You should almost be able to tap into your cable box or split it and run a line to your garage. I know peeps around here that have done it granted this was with old standard cable not sure if it would work with the new digital cable unless you had a box there also.

But in my Toy box shop which is a old Texaco Gas station i have a 20in flat screen dvd and vcr so i just play movies, along with a mini fridge and a microwave. I recently installed a house furnace in there. with a heatpump system so i can heat and cool it some. still working on the old lift in it to see if i can use it or rip it out and go with a 2 post lift. Currently thought i'm going through the pains up upgradeing some windows and the electical system
Old 01-25-2008, 01:58 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
OK, how do I get the cable TV signal to my (separate) garage? Is there some wireless gizmo that I can go the 30-40 feet from the house to the garage without running a cable?

If you have wireless internet, you could use a Slingbox. A Slingbox connects to your cable/sat/etc and the net. It allows you to watch and control your TV from anywhere you have internet access.

Ken
Old 01-25-2008, 02:04 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely! You would take the output from your digital converter, use a converter to stream the data to a Cisco 2600 router which will then encapsulate the date into an IP packet, then you would route the IP packets to a wireless controller which is attached to an 802.11a bridge with a direction wireless access point directed toward your garage. Then you would have another 802.11a bridge at the other end with another Cisco router to de-encapsulate the IP packet into streaming video with a high speed adapter which is then connected directly to you flat panel TV. All of which will only cost you...say $15000+/- with my professional services included (of course). Distance dependant, I could get at least 54mbps to your garage. For a few extra dollars I could sell you a booster that will allow you to light up your entire neighborhood and become your own service provider!

Or like the other guy said, you could buy some $20 coax cable, splice the line in your house and run the cable underground to your garage.

I guess you can tell what I do for a living!!! I couldn't resist some humor today
Old 01-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Yep, have a LCD out there.

...also have network jack, speakers that can stream music from my MP3 collection, AM/FM, or any other source hooked up down in the theater...

No pictures currently....
Old 01-25-2008, 04:04 PM
mpowers
Advanced

Stop by Circuit City and pick a wireless tv transmitter. For about 100 bucks and they work well. I have one over with over 100' range going to the garage. Only draw back is what ever is on that box in the house will be on the tv in the garage.

But I can change the channels from the garage, hence the reason I tapped into the bedroom tv, least watched.

OP, min of a 27" or larger as I find myself 25+ feet away when watching most of the time. Pick up a cheapy at wallyworld.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Well my garage is 20x20 so I can only get so far away I'm going to do the wally world cheapest thing there option.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mpowers
Stop by Circuit City and pick a wireless tv transmitter. For about 100 bucks and they work well. I have one over with over 100' range going to the garage. Only draw back is what ever is on that box in the house will be on the tv in the garage.

But I can change the channels from the garage, hence the reason I tapped into the bedroom tv, least watched.

OP, min of a 27" or larger as I find myself 25+ feet away when watching most of the time. Pick up a cheapy at wallyworld.
Like this???:
http://www.shoptronics.com/5wiauvisetrb.html
Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I will be putting a tv in mine soon...but nothing fancy!

Oh, and I have a 85k BTU Propane heater to warm things up...takes about 15 mins and the garage is warmer then the house! Small electric heater to maintain

Get notified of new replies

To Do you have a TV in your garage?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:17 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

27 inch between the two doors Wall mount, Direct TV recorder underneath, Pioneer stereo, 4500 watt celing mount garage heater& two C4 bucket seats,
Storm drain, Hot & cold water in the hose reel under the TV & recorder, wringer on the wall
Old 01-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Joe Lynch
Pro

St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Yep, TV, phone, wi-fi, computer, heating and air conditioning, good lights and ceiling fans. I bought the house because of the two-car garage in addition to the 3 car for the wife's vehicles on the house.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just watch TV on your laptop via WiFi via a SlingBox that is hooked up in the house... http://www.slingbox.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you have a TV in your garage?