Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport seat covers on base seat backs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM
416 Rigby
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sport seat covers on base seat backs

From search here --sport seat back internals and base seat back internals are the same. Correct? Is the padding the same?

I also read there is a gromet for the base covers but I would rather replace the back cover only. Is the sport seat back cover alone avalible from GM or aftermarket folks.

Where I am heading is a hard bar and shoulder belts thru the seat.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:24 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Seat Back Frame

I know the Z06 back frame is the same except for the bolster wing area that is hinged for the sport seat bladders to operate and adjust.
As far as padding and upholstery there is a difference. The sport seat back is a two piece set. An insert is contained by a surrounding piece.
Had I done my research I would have taken my Z seats (similar to standard seat) to a shop and had the shoulder belt hole installed. The hole is already in the back frame so there will be no weaking of the frame. They will just cut in the hole in the upholstery and foam, then upholster between the front and back skin. They will need to use velcro or as in the sport seat, a zipper to complete the installation of the cover for the shoulder belt hole. If you need picture of the sport seat differences I can email some to you.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

The seat frames are the same. The Sport Seat bladders are attached to the frame bolster supports but otherwise the frames are the same. I replaced my Z seat covers with a set of sport seat covers and foam from Al Knoch. However, you can just replace the seat back foam and covers if you want. Each sport seat back is made in two pieces and there are two matching pieces of foam. GM sells the pieces separately so you don't have to buy a complete set of covers for two seats if you can save some money that way. The seat base cover for the sport seat is a little different than the Z base cover but the Z base cover matches nicely with the Sport Seat Cover. If you have an 03 or 04 car this can save you the hassle of having the vendor modify the passenger seat base cover and foam for the child seat attachments. I had to send my original base cover and the sport seat base cover back to Al Knoch so they could modify their cover to match slots in the original.

Bill
Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 AM
SuperSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

so what is the best place to get all the parts to do this swap? And what parts do i need?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to replace the seat back and seat bottom covers on both seats then you have to order a complete set of covers and foam. Any of the aftermarket vendors can help. I purchased my set with the Z06 logo embroidered on the head rest from Al Knoch http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...TITLE=Al_Knoch. Everything together adds up to over $1200 and you get 12 individual pieces.

If you decide you don't want the Z06 logo and only want to do the seat backs and not the bottoms of both seats you need to buy the seat bolster cover and foam plus the seat back center and foam for both drivers and passenger seats. This option is only available from GM. Not sure of the cost from Gene Culley but you would end up with 8 individual pieces.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Sport seat covers on base seat backs

Quick Reply: Sport seat covers on base seat backs