Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used "Duplicolor Shield" for paint protection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Anyone used "Duplicolor Shield" for paint protection?

I just stumbled on this tonight. I figured 4 or 5 coats should build enough mil thickness for decent protection. Any of you guys have any experience with this?

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html

Shield, from Dupli-Color, provides temporary spray-on protection for your vehicle where bugs and road grime can do damage. It’s ideal for the front end, rear quarter panel and rocker panels. Spray on Shield as a temporary bra for long road trips, quick mud flaps or as a bug guard. Shield sprays on easily and dries in less than a minute. And best of all, it stays on until you wash it off. You can power wash it off or use soap and water. Rain, snow or moisture in the air won’t affect it. This product leaves no residue on a vehicle’s paint. Give your vehicle the protection that it deserves with Shield.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Old 01-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I've used it to protect headlight lens and fog lights. It takes awhile for it to get hard enough to provide some protection but it does give some.

With the headlights and fogs blacked out it looks cool and people would always want to touch it. I had to keep an eye on things because when people touch it it comes off.

I had a hard time finding it but I finaly did find it at Wal-Mart...in the clearance ailse.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried it. Made the mistake of using the black version on my pewter car. Looked like I did a bad job of spray painting over a body repair!

In general the product works as advertised. It stayed on even in the rain and washed off with a pressure washer or scrub brush.

Although it made washing the rubber streaks off a little easier, it has the same issue as painters tape, it really doesn’t protect against stone chips.

I taped the car for the first year, used this for the first couple weekends the second, and just accepted the fact the car is no longer a “waxer” for the third.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:45 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
I've used it to protect headlight lens and fog lights. It takes awhile for it to get hard enough to provide some protection but it does give some.

With the headlights and fogs blacked out it looks cool and people would always want to touch it. I had to keep an eye on things because when people touch it it comes off.

I had a hard time finding it but I finaly did find it at Wal-Mart...in the clearance ailse.
I ordered from Summit Racing and used before my last track event at Roebling. Heavy rain on Saturday washed most of it off, and I still have new rock chips. I don't think it will replace blue tape or film for the really vulnerable areas.

There is another product called TransSeal. I've seen a few of the PCA guys use it. They paint it on with a roller and it seems to be thicker.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the reply's so far guys. I also ran across this today and it appears to be a better product. Anybody used this?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=3

http://s7d4.scene7.com/s7ondemand/zo...=580&sku=20264

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone used "Duplicolor Shield" for paint protection?

Quick Reply: Anyone used "Duplicolor Shield" for paint protection?