Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First step to W2W, passed the test yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default First step to W2W, passed the test yesterday!

My test of myself that is. I want to get a really good foundation from the bottom up thus I enrolled in the Level 1 school at Spring Mountain, sure was a great time!!!!

Incredible people, exceptionally well run, ALLOT of seat time, best 3 days I may of ever had. Great basics(which I really needed), seat time in C5Z, C6 Z51, Calloway(loved the suspension and brakes) and then a ton of time in the C6 Z cars, all day yesterday hauling ****!!!

One of the other students and I really pushed each other to the limit and I found I was quite comfortable doing so, never a wheel off, TC probably helped a bit I will admit though.

A full day of driving the wheels off a C6 Z was worth the price of the whole school

Anyway, I am now confident I have the ability to learn to be a real race driver and will get right back to work on the ST car I an rebuilding in my shop.

Race license school in Apr, all the track time, karts, etc I can get in, then TT's and move up to W2W if I am good enough, I will know before long. If not good enough I will put one of the local drivers in the car for that level and I will stick to TT and solo, etc.

Anybody here looking into racing, I most highly recommend heading out to Spring Mountain, get some great training, see where you stand, then decide.

Rick
Old 01-31-2008, 09:07 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah Rick, turn off that TC! You'll be way better without it.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:17 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

They would not let us and I can understand why.

I like getting sideways

Rick
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, at spring mountain you have to run with all the nannies on? I can't imagine trying to learn car control with the car doing most of the work for you it seems a bit pointless.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:38 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

They have a few run off the track, a bit of intervention is a good thing for most of their students and good to learn to go fast more safely for many. Once that is done then I agree, time to turn it off!!!

I found it helpful a few times but many others it was interfering with my forward(if somewhat sideways) momentum, sometimes a great deal, very frustrating. But, I started looking for the fastest way through without triggering it, that helps learning to be smooth

For a high performance driving school, I think it is a very good thing to have.

Rick

Last edited by RAAMaudio; 02-01-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 AM
wmk32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely a fun place. Can't wait to go to level 2 - anyone have any comments and/or stories if they've taken the level 2 class?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 AM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Sweet!
I'm thinking about a comp school this year with NASA myself.

Hey, since your in UT you should come out to the NASA Rocky Mountain weekend at Miller. June 13-15 Three days! Full track, and outer track, they will change it at some point in the weekend. Come on out and get some seat time and have a blast!

Here is the summer schedule:
http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nas...ead.php?t=1624
Old 02-01-2008, 12:38 PM
90pololt4
Pro

Default Spring Mountain

Glad you had a great time. Sounds like you enjoyed the same great service and experience my wife and I have had there. They are great track host, I would recommend going back for their advanced, it gets even better and your confidence goes up even more. Hope to meet you at Miller if you can make it.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:59 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Thanks, I want to go back for the advanced class, soon, and I am taking the race license school at Miller the end of Apr. I will most certainly be at Miller in June, at least running the HPDE and TT events I offered one of the Spring Mountain top instructors a plane ticket and to drive in the W2W races if he wants to come up and help setup the car, he said yes

After than, every event I can possibly make it to the rest of the season, including a few solo events(mainly for my kids benifit and some fun for me, I still like them)

Since the car is eating up a huge amount of funds and time I may not be able to attend the advance school but will get in as much seat time here and wherever else I can get the car to in the mean time.

Starting to rebuild the cage this evening, some new bodywork after that, so much to do, so little time, but I am very determined

Rick
Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
ah Rick, turn off that TC! You'll be way better without it.
You'll never know if you have the car control abilities with these on. Best of luck to you... hope to see you in T1 someday!

Get notified of new replies

To First step to W2W, passed the test yesterday!

Quick Reply: First step to W2W, passed the test yesterday!