Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HAWK DTC-70 pads, when to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:48 AM
speedneed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HAWK DTC-70 pads, when to replace?

I have a couple of sets of DTC-70 front pads that still are not worn past the slot that is in the middle of the pad. Are those slots suppose to be a wear guide or do they have some other purpose? How thin do you let your pads get before you replace?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I would not start a track day w/o twice the thickness I expect to consume in a day, just to give me a margin of error. So, do you know how many track days it took you to get to the thickness they are now and what the original thickness was?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimota Guy
I would not start a track day w/o twice the thickness I expect to consume in a day, just to give me a margin of error. So, do you know how many track days it took you to get to the thickness they are now and what the original thickness was?
I can't fault that advice, but if you are economical(cheapskate) like me, I wear them almost to the backing plates. I do my own brake jobs at the track; 60 minutes both front wheels including a bleed(a Speedbleeder user here.) I typically pop a wheel after two or three sessions to inspect the wear rate and then proceed accordingly from there. The PBR brakes are so simple to service. I keep spare used pads on hand and install them as needed. But you can't beat starting the day with a fresh set of pads.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Remember 1/2 pad thickness does not mean you have only used half the pad life. The thinner the pads are the quicker they will transfer heat and possibly boil the brakes. I would rather throw the pads away prematurely than find I have no brakes at the end of a long straight.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
Remember 1/2 pad thickness does not mean you have only used half the pad life. The thinner the pads are the quicker they will transfer heat and possibly boil the brakes. I would rather throw the pads away prematurely than find I have no brakes at the end of a long straight.
Gotta agree with Gordy here, go with new pads and give/sell your old ones to autocrossers where they won't get as much heat as roadracing.

Aaron
Old 02-04-2008, 12:20 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by speedneed
I have a couple of sets of DTC-70 front pads that still are not worn past the slot that is in the middle of the pad. Are those slots suppose to be a wear guide or do they have some other purpose? How thin do you let your pads get before you replace?
i might buy them Let me know if you want to sell them!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want to replace them when there is ~ 1/4" of pad material. There is a heat barrier/insulation layer there, where the pads literally stop working. They will stop, but not like they did new.

Obviously, there are many pros to running new/thick pads, such as a firmer pedal, longer life between bleeds, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To HAWK DTC-70 pads, when to replace?

Quick Reply: HAWK DTC-70 pads, when to replace?