Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Seat and Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Race Seat and Mounting

I am 6'4", 245 lbs. I am considering an Ultrashield Road Race seat fastened to a C6 passenger side manually adjustable seat track. I have attempted to use a Hardbar seat mount system with a Sparco Evo 3 in my previous C5 unsuccessfully. Short story is I could not reach the back studs to fasten the assembly down (among other issues). That is the reason why I am looking at the adjustable seat track. With the adjustable track I can move the seat forward to fasten down then back into race position.

I understand that I will not get the full height benefit that may be available with Hardbar, however I am looking for thoughts and experiences on this set up. Will the passenger side seat track fit on the driver side? Will the Ultrashield seat mount to the seat track? Any drawbacks?

Thanks Len
Old 02-03-2008, 05:27 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear nuts with hardbar rails are tight but it can be done without too much problem. I have 17" kirkey's and hardbar rails for c6 Z06
Old 02-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrz1
Rear nuts with hardbar rails are tight but it can be done without too much problem. I have 17" kirkey's and hardbar rails for c6 Z06
Unfortunately, I have given the hardbar rails a shot already and it did not work for me. That's why I am looking at the adjustable track.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Webz
Unfortunately, I have given the hardbar rails a shot already and it did not work for me. That's why I am looking at the adjustable track.
not trying to beat a dead horse. but i may want to try the had bars too.

did you contact the guys at hard bar and ask if they had a trick to getting to the rear bolts? must be more than one person with this problem
Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The HardBar seat mounting plates can be put on in many different ways.

So there is still a wide range of mounting positions.

My seat is so narrow, that I had to drill out the front mounting holes slightly to get the seat mounting posts off the floor to go though them.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:48 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I originally bought a Evo2 and the hardbar mounts and after spending an entire Easter Sunday in fustration trying to mount them I went to better without eating dinner. I was so mad it was killing me. Then I bought a Kirkey which drops right in.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all of the replys.

Although not on Easter Sunday, like John, I spent a frustrating several days trying to make the Evo set up work which ultimately was an expensive lesson. I have no issue with the quality of the Hardbar set up and it appears very flexible. However in my case I require the seat back to be up against the back wall (not sure what it is officially referred to) which leaves no room to access the rear studs when using the Hardbar setup. I need to be able to slide the seat forward to provide access to the stud then back against the wall for driving position.

So I am still looking for anyone who has experience with the specific setup I referenced or something close. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Default 17" Kirkey Seat Mounted on OEM Manual Slider

Posted for future reference to anyone considering the same approach.

Last edited by Webz; 02-14-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:06 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:13 PM
errance
Pro

Nice pictures, thanks. Which model Kirkey is this? And what waist size does a 17" accomodate?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

a 17" wide butt. Sit down with a 2x4 on either side of you, get up without moving the boards and measure the distance between them.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by errance
Nice pictures, thanks. Which model Kirkey is this? And what waist size does a 17" accomodate?
Deluxe Road Race Seat 43 Series. http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...&code=Series43

I have a 40" waist.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Vette Ed
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Len

looks great
Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Webz,
Great job, that looks like the ticket. I am in the process of trying to fit a Kirkey seat in my 00FRC. It is kind of a changeling. The stock seat bolts are 21 inches apart but he Kirkey seat brackets are only about 16 inches long. I bought some L shaped bars with holes along the length. I bolted them to the stock bolt locations and will try to bolt the Kirkey mounts to it.
But I like the idea of using the stock manual seat bracket. I got a problem getting in and out of the car. Especially when I put the car in my enclosed trailer. Once on the trailer I can't open the door because the trailer fender limits the space inside where the door should open, so it's out the window. It's hard enough using the stock seats but the Kirkeys will be almost impossible.

Now to locate a manual seat adjuster. Anyone have one they ain't using. I am going to post on the parts for sale to see what I come up with.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybar
Webz,
Great job, that looks like the ticket. I am in the process of trying to fit a Kirkey seat in my 00FRC. It is kind of a changeling. The stock seat bolts are 21 inches apart but he Kirkey seat brackets are only about 16 inches long. I bought some L shaped bars with holes along the length. I bolted them to the stock bolt locations and will try to bolt the Kirkey mounts to it.
But I like the idea of using the stock manual seat bracket. I got a problem getting in and out of the car. Especially when I put the car in my enclosed trailer. Once on the trailer I can't open the door because the trailer fender limits the space inside where the door should open, so it's out the window. It's hard enough using the stock seats but the Kirkeys will be almost impossible.

Now to locate a manual seat adjuster. Anyone have one they ain't using. I am going to post on the parts for sale to see what I come up with.
try KARSHOP for used vette parts he is a vendor here. I have 17" and 38" gut
Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jaybar
Webz,

Thanks, it fit well into the car and went in easy! (Thanks Raftracer and Vette Ed for your help! ) I used a C5 passenger side manual adjuster in my car. Below is a image of the part from GMPartsDirect. Sorry no part number.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:36 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am waiting for a hit on my post "manual seat bracket wanted". I have been playing around in my car. The stock seat is out. I am wondering about the 4 bolts coming thought the floor. When I get my new seat mounted hopefully on stock sliders, I will use the 4 bolts coming through the floor. Now my question. The rear bolts will be used to mount the lap belt as well as the rear seat bracket. And the left rear bolt will also hold the bar from the shoulder harness bar.

So I was thinking longer bolts would be good. I felt under the car and it feels like there is a piece of frame that has the seat bolt going through it. The end of the bolt feels round. So does anyone know if the bolt is "attached" welded etc to the bar, or is it screwed into the bar.
I was thinking if it was screwed in I could but two nuts on the inside side of the bolt and back it out. Then replace it with longer Grade 8 bolts.
Any thought?

Get notified of new replies

To Race Seat and Mounting

Old 05-05-2008, 01:37 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will those c6 passenger sliders work on the drivers side of a c5?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I just ordered the seat brackets from GMPartsDirect and will be ordering the seat when I figure out if I need an 18" or 17" seat. Is there any other hardware I need to buy to make this work?? Bolts, washers, etc????

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:26 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Len,
Putting your seat in sideways will not make you faster than me.

Quick Reply: Race Seat and Mounting